Crosby Or Pronger (prime). Who Would You Add To This Roster?

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Crosby, Promptly flipped for a high end #1 D, a good top 6 center, and whatever else gets thrown in.

Assuming we have to keep him though... Pronger would make a bigger difference with our current steaming pile of crap.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
tough call. Pronger was such a beast in the playoffs. After Crosby has crapped the bed in the playoffs the last few years I would have to say Pronger.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Pronger. He would have a bigger impact than Crosby would on this team. We already have the skilled forwards up front. Not even close to having a dmen like Pronger in the backend. If I'm starting a team from scratch, I'd take Crosby.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As much as Pronger would have such an impact on this team, and on any team he played for, Crosby is the best player in the NHL and will probably go down as one of the best forwards to ever play the game.

He's a generational talent. Too good to pass on.

rickyrunfar

Mar 1, 2014
As much as I didn't like his leaving the Oilers, I gotta say Pronger. He just solidified a team like some of the best of them. Guys a robot programed to dominate defensively. Too bad about his injuries, he was a treat to watch.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I may be biased from lingering 2006 nostalgia, but I think a prime, injury-free Pronger was one of the best defensemen to ever play. Look back to the 2006 Red Wings series - playing against another generational talent, Pronger basically beat Detroit by himself at times.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Pronger for me, he was like a general on the ice barking orders on the powerplay and the PK, he just makes things run better. The fact that a prime Pronger can play nearly half the game and he brings elements that we are sorely lacking, makes it an easy decision for me.

Comic Book Guy*

Pronger showed me just how important defensemen are and just how they can take over games. Pronger would make us a perennial contender. That dude played 51 minutes for the Oilers one night. Who can do that for the Oilers right now?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
absolutely 100% Pronger for me.

He took 3 teams to the cup finals in 5 years. 2 of those teams didn't belong.

Remember how good he Made M.A. Bergeron look? He could do wonders for a Shultz or Petry. Then the rest of our D would actually make us look incredibly deep.

And none of those teams had malkin as their first or second centre. Defense wins championships.

Doughty, Keith...id take those two over crosby as well. Weber. Number one dmen are a rarity. Generational talent? Who cares. You have to beat a twenty man team. Even as a dominant centre last time i checked toewes is the best championship centre in the league, with kopitar and bergeron tracking behind. Centres actually have to dominate over the entire ice...its their job. If they dont they are just highlite reel machines. Crosby is the most offensively talented player in the world but i still would take others ahead of him to build my team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Pronger

Both had their injury problems, but Crosby has never dominated in the playoffs like Pronger. It's not a fluke that a bunch of teams went on playoff runs to the cup finals immediately after acquiring him, Pronger stood out in an era of dominant defensive play.

Crosby is good, but he's barely a cut above his peers(even that is debatable), and he's plagued in his prime by uninspired post seasons and absentee performances on the national stage.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pronger,

I don't thin it's a coincidence that Horcoff, Hemsky, Smyth, Stoll, Torres, Pisani, Bergeron, and Staios all had career years the year he was here.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
To add to the Pronger argument:

The year of the lock out, the Ice Dogs were near the top of the standings with Hamilton and Strome. Hamilton dominated the league that year, the way that Pronger in his prime dominated the NHL. Hamilton was the only player we lost from the NHL coming back, and we barely made the playoffs, and lost the first round in 5.

Another situation is when Pietrangelo was returned to us over a third of the way into his 18 year old season. The team around him was rebuilding, but he carried them into the playoffs, helped them upset Ottawa in round 1, and gave a very strong Belleville team with Subban, a run for their money.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Team Pronger, for me please!

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Thornton Purcell
Pouliot Draisaitl Yakupov
Hendricks Gordon Gazdic

Pronger Fayne
Nikitin Petry
Ference Schultz
Marincin

Nurse+Klefbom+Yakimov+ 2015 1st and 2016 1st would set up for a crazy trade.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Pronger,

I don't thin it's a coincidence that Horcoff, Hemsky, Smyth, Stoll, Torres, Pisani, Bergeron, and Staios all had career years the year he was here.

Lots of players had career years that year across the entire league in 05-06. It's what happens when there are WAY more penalties.

And even though they had career years, it wasn't the best Horcoff, Hemsky or Smyth were in a season.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I love Crosby but gotta say Pronger. As great as Crosby is, Pronger playing half the game and steadying this awful D-corps would make just an unbelievable difference.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
prime pronger took 2 medicore teams and 1 good team to the stanley cup finals. Pronger made marc andre bergeron a legit player. he compleely dominated when he was on the ice and made his whole TEAM better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad