Crosby/Malkin/Datsyuk/Zetterberg vs. Sakic/Forsberg/Fedorov/Yzerman for a playoff run

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Crosby > Sakic
Malkin = Forsberg
Datsyuk = Fedorov
Zetterberg < Yzerman

Pretty close but I think the gap between Yzerman and Zetterberg is bigger than the gap between Crosby and Sakic. But on the other hand, Crosby+Malkin can focus on offense while Datsyuk and Zetterberg can give 2 shutdown lines. In the 1st group there's really only Fedorov as a pure shutdown guy, I wouldn't want 1 of Sakic/Forsberg/Yzerman as a 4C.

So I think the Sakic group is slightly better in a vacuum, but the Crosby group would be better in a matchup sense.. If that makes sense.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
In order

Sakic
Forsberg
Crosby
Malkin
Fedorov
Yzermen
Zetterberg
Datysuk

So I pick Sakic Forsberg Fedorov Yzermen . Sakic 88 goals. 19 GW including 8 ot goals. Very hard to ignore those stats. Yzermen is a little lower because most of the other players were playoff performer almost there whole careers maybe except Datysuk. Yzermen was playoffs performer only after 1997. Yzermen is not even a ppg in the Playoffs and is a minus player as well.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
In order

Sakic
Forsberg
Crosby
Malkin
Fedorov
Yzermen
Zetterberg
Datysuk

So I pick Sakic Forsberg Fedorov Yzermen . Sakic 88 goals. 19 GW including 8 ot goals. Very hard to ignore those stats. Yzermen is a little lower because most of the other players were playoff performer almost there whole careers maybe except Datysuk. Yzermen was playoffs performer only after 1997. Yzermen is not even a ppg in the Playoffs and is a minus player as well.

OP says peak so career stats mean nothing. Based on a full peak season I'd say:

Malkin
Fedorov
Crosby/Forsberg
Datsyuk/Sakic/Yzerman
Zetterberg

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Malkin
Fedorov
Crosby/Forsberg
Datsyuk/Sakic/Yzerman
Zetterberg

You are right. So it will be

Malkin
Sakic
Forsberg
Crosby
Zetterberg
Fedorov
Yzermen
Datysuk

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
You are right. So it will be

Malkin
Sakic
Forsberg
Crosby
Zetterberg
Fedorov
Yzermen
Datysuk

Very curious to hear why you have Sakic ahead of Forsberg and Crosby? And in general I think he's the most overrated player on hf, but Fedorov's 94 peak season is arguably the best from these players.. Not sure why you have him so far down?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Very curious to hear why you have Sakic ahead of Forsberg and Crosby? And in general I think he's the most overrated player on hf, but Fedorov's 94 peak season is arguably the best from these players.. Not sure why you have him so far down?

But the question is about playoffs. So I am looking at peak in the playoffs and not the regular season. Better in regular season doesnt mean better in playoffs as well.

Sakic 1996 18 G 16 34 points. 6 GW including 2 in ot. That is better than any playoffs Crosby had.

Forsberg 8 G 19 A 27 was better than Crosby 15 G 16 A 31. He was better defensively THAN Crosby +8 and more gritty than Crosby and hits more. What's more impressive about it he had 27 points without making it to the finals.

Fedorov. His 120 points in regular season didn't mean anything once the Playoffs started.

I changed my mind on Zetterberg. I will put him ahead of Crosby as well. His 13 G 14 A 27 points and him shutting down all those stars and being. Also he was +15 which is impressive considering he always plays against top lines.

Remember one thing Crosby career is better than most stars but a lot other stars have better peak than Crosby regular seasons and playoffs.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Not especially. It gets overblown because he won a Selke. It was not a very strong Hart win unlike Malkin's or Crosby's best seasons. Feds was never close to putting up the offensive playoff numbers that the other players put up save for Datysuk.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Crosby > Sakic
Malkin = Forsberg
Datsyuk = Fedorov
Zetterberg < Yzerman

Pretty close but I think the gap between Yzerman and Zetterberg is bigger than the gap between Crosby and Sakic. But on the other hand, Crosby+Malkin can focus on offense while Datsyuk and Zetterberg can give 2 shutdown lines. In the 1st group there's really only Fedorov as a pure shutdown guy, I wouldn't want 1 of Sakic/Forsberg/Yzerman as a 4C.

So I think the Sakic group is slightly better in a vacuum, but the Crosby group would be better in a matchup sense.. If that makes sense.

Zetterberg's 2 playoff runs in 2008 and 2009 are better than any run Yzerman has had

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not especially. It gets overblown because he won a Selke. It was not a very strong Hart win unlike Malkin's or Crosby's best seasons. Feds was never close to putting up the offensive playoff numbers that the other players put up save for Datysuk.

He did put up 24 in 17 one season.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Playoffs only I'd say:

Crosby ~ Forsberg
Malkin ~ Sakic
Zetterberg >~ Fedorov
Datsyuk ~ Yzerman

This is super close

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Malkin
Fedorov
Crosby/Forsberg
Datsyuk/Sakic/Yzerman
Zetterberg

Peak Sakic is in the 4th tier after tieing the goal record in the playoffs. I dont get it... He was the best of all of them at his absolute best.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Peak Sakic is in the 4th tier after tieing the goal record in the playoffs. I dont get it... He was the best of all of them at his absolute best.

I was going off RS peak.. Op just said peak so I wasn't sure if it was playoff peak or what lol.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I was going off RS peak.. Op just said peak so I wasn't sure if it was playoff peak or what lol.

Pretty sure Sakic's 2000/01 season is right there with any of these players, he had 118 points, 2nd in goals and points, Hart trophy, 2nd in Selke voting, and 22 points ahead of the 3rd scorer. He then followed it up with leading the playoffs in points and winning the Stanley Cup.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
As far as the playoffs peak I think its
Sakic
Malkin
Crosby
Forsberg
Fedorov
Zetterberg
Yzerman
Datsyuk

Gonna go with Team Sakic here

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Crosby is the clear best player of the group and the tie-breaker imo.

Yes he is but we are not talking about who the best player is. We are talking about players with the highest peak in the playoffs. There are quite of few players the last 20 years that had a higher peak in playoffs and regular season than Crosby

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
In order

Sakic
Forsberg
Crosby
Malkin
Fedorov
Yzermen
Zetterberg
Datysuk

I've never heard of Yzermen or Datysuk

No offense, but hard to take your opinion seriously when you have trouble spelling the names of some of the best players in their respective generations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad