Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Vertigo SUCKS. That's one of the toughest things to do day to day things with, let alone play professional hockey.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I don't see someone with chronic vertigo travel ling halfway around the world to play in a voluntary tournament.

I think he's fully recovered. He had so much time away and so much treatment. He's had his bell rung a lot the last couple years but rarely misses time. He's become one of the few consistently healthy players on the team.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby hurt the C1 and C2 vertebrae in his spine, which are the 2 at the very top. I haven't heard anything about vertigo though

Says a lot about the Pens medical staff, how do you misdiagnose something like that for so long? Crosby could been back a lot sooner if the staff weren't so adamant that his problems were from a concussion

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
articles are talking about vertigo, maybe I am not reading hard enough but where is it saying Crosby has vertigo?

and yah, vertigo sucks.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Crosby met with Ted Carrick, who is a controversial chiropractor, during his recovery from his last major concussion. Carrick uses a number of protocols to diagnose and treat eye control disorders such as vertigo. Eye control disorders can make it difficult to track moving objects like pucks and can also render you dizzy or disoriented.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Was just browsing around and reading up on vertigo...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/misunderstood-and-often-misdiagnosed-the-mystery-of-vertigo-1.2748513

http://lifemarkvestibular.blogspot.ca/2015/01/dizziness-and-motion-sensitivity.html

I don't ever recall it being heard that Crosby had chronic vertigo, infact this is the first time I've heard of him having this condition.

Has anyone else heard about this or seen press releases on it?

Crosby claimed that he was basically symptom free in the fall of 2013 (or was 2014) in a CBC interview. However, if he experienced another concussion since then, it wouldn't surprise me if his symptoms returned. For chronic vertigo suffers, even stress, fatigue, and being overwhelmed by stimuli can cause your symptoms to return.

Aceonfire*

As someone who suffers from this, I feel for the guy if true. No idea how he continues to play at a high level. Some days are worse than others but people don't realize how bad it can get.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
articles are talking about vertigo, maybe I am not reading hard enough but where is it saying Crosby has vertigo?

and yah, vertigo sucks.

It's only a small tidbit of the article

Head injury, autoimmune disease and genetic conditions are also culprits. As are some jobs.

Vestibular problems are a professional hazard for studio sound engineers, soldiers and military trainees who are exposed to bomb blasts, as well as football and hockey players, including Sidney Crosby, who develop chronic vertigo from vestibular concussions.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
I don't see someone with chronic vertigo flying halfway around the world to play in a voluntary tournament.

I think he's fully recovered. He had so much time away and so much treatment. He's had his bell rung a lot the last couple years but rarely misses time. He's become one of the few consistently healthy players on the team.

Common misconception. Vertigo has nothing to do with heights. You're thinking of acrophobia.
Him flying wouldn't change much, although I guess it could cause some vertigo by the change of pressure in his inner ear

Aceonfire*

Common misconception. Vertigo has nothing to do with heights. You're thinking of acrophobia.
Him flying wouldn't change much, although I guess it could cause some vertigo by the change of pressure in his inner ear

Yup. Although working high up can be dangerous.

You can be standing still and it feels like the world is tipping over on you.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

Flying was not a keyword there.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx

I'm assuming the post was talking about the toll traveling takes on someone. For chronic vertigo suffers, the symptoms can be worsened by stress, travel and fatigue, not to mention playing a fast-paced sport.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Crosby hurt the C1 and C2 vertebrae in his spine, which are the 2 at the very top. I haven't heard anything about vertigo though

Says a lot about the Pens medical staff, how do you misdiagnose something like that for so long? Crosby could been back a lot sooner if the staff weren't so adamant that his problems were from a concussion

I believe vertigo can be caused by either the central nervous system or the peripheral (ear). Supposedly central vertigo is much worse.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Crosby met with Ted Carrick, who is a controversial chiropractor, during his recovery from his last major concussion. Carrick uses a number of protocols to diagnose and treat eye control disorders such as vertigo. Eye control disorders can make it difficult to track moving objects like pucks and can also render you dizzy or disoriented.

This is so ridiculous. I hope that chiropractor is one of the small minority that actually knows what they are doing.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Irresponsible journalism. If this hasn't been out in public (we would have heard this before, right?) and they don't have access to Crosby's medical records, it is pure speculation by the authors.

longy85

Oct 24, 2009
sometimes vertigo is very intermittent, and can be dependent on body position. so it's possible crosby's world spins (i.e., has a vertigo attack) very rarely, and maybe only when he is lying in bed or doing something specific. it may not affect him during play, but can still have an effect on his life.

I had vertigo for a very short period of time (can be caused by a transient viral infection) and it only affected me if I was lying in bed on my left side, for example

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Just to expand on some things others have said in this thread. Vertigo is more of a symptom than a disease per-se. It can be caused by many different things, so its not as simple as saying "OMG I can't believe the Penguins training staff missed it". It can be central. It can be coming from the inner ear. It can be a symptoms post-concussion. It can also be cervicogenic (which seems like may have been the case with Crosby).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad