Crosby has a concussion | Part II (Mod Warning #177 and the OP)

Oddfello

Jimmy Montrose
Mar 15, 2013
Pittsburgh

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
For those who have been saying "lol amateur neurologists" in this thread:

"When there have been multiple concussions, the chance of having persisting symptoms goes up terrifically," said Dr. Charles Tator, the director of the Canadian Concussion Centre at Toronto Western Hospital. "So we're especially careful about helping people avoid further concussions.

"If he were an amateur, we would probably tell him to hang up his skates."

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7275275-should-sidney-crosby-consider-retiring-/

Last edited by a moderator:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Last edited by a moderator:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I thought the idea that having concussion history made you more susceptible to future concussions was debunked?

I can tell you first hand they do come on easier and last longer each time you get one. (reference: I have had many, up to 6, potentially more diagnosed)

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Lots of guys come back from concussions too early, if Crosby can play a full game and then be in the lineup for the next game then I'll feel like he's "back".

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I can tell you first hand they do come on easier and last longer each time you get one. (reference: I have had many, up to 6, potentially more diagnosed)

By no means am I questioning your personal experience, but it seems like this may not be the case for everyone.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's not like Crosby doesn't know the risks now. There's a well documented concussion law suit. There's a ton of literature. It's not like the 90s when guys didn't know what they were risking.

Sid knows, and if he's willing to risk it...it's his life.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
Not looking to start a fight here but, Is there not one person who thinks with the mystery and sneakiness of playoff injuries that Crosby never had a concussion at all?

"I'm just doing what I am told" Crosby

Could he not be directed to follow concussion protocol, call it that and play the part as an attempt to get the league to suspend Ovie, Niskanen or both?

When they announced concussion before game 4, hopes that they would suspend those guys before that?

Now since it don't look like they'll be suspended that he is miraculously available for game 5 by the looks of the practice today?

Understandably so I believe he never was concussed. Neither was Sheary (though more likely and on the record I think something else is wrong with him). But he got crosschecked in the neck. That was half the issue with the concussions in 2011. I think he reported to the doctors that his neck hurt and they observed him as dazed on the ice and again understandably so. Also symptom do not always occur right away sometimes the come about a day or 2 after.

Mixed with the fact that a PGH reporter saw him during the 3rd period wink to a rink employee and say I am OK. I think they were concerned about a late onset of symptoms. Seeing the play many assumed he would be concussed right away. After his long concussion history Sid, personal doctors and team doctors for Sid know Sid's body better than anyone else and when they should be concerned. They would not let him skate with contact if there was any doubt of symptoms. But like protocol states you take it day by day. Increase level of activity after you are symptom free wait see if you have symptons next day, increase level of activity, rinse and repeat.....

Back around 2010 when we did not know much about concussions they used to say 1 week after symptom free then the week of building up activity intensity with no relapse. I think we are learning that might not necessarily be best.

BUT HEY I AM NO DOCTOR, BUT HAVE HAD 2 CONCUSSIONS

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Crosby is willing to risk his life after hockey to play, that's his decision I guess however misguided it may be. Wonder if they NHL, pens, medical staff make him signa waiver.

Hope the boys in stripes treat him just like any other player and don't call pims on the caps when they breath on Crosby

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Crosby is willing to risk his life after hockey to play, that's his decision I guess however misguided it may be. Wonder if they NHL, pens, medical staff make him signa waiver.

Hope the boys in stripes treat him just like any other player and don't call pims on the caps when they breath on Crosby

Breathing on Crosby no penalty, agreed. Targeting his head equals penalty, like for any player, right? NHL is gonna have the bejesus sued out of them one of these days for their reluctance to meaningfully eliminate infractions with the potential to cause concussion, ditto the players union.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

In what way is he risking his life after hockey to play and how is it misguided?

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
I like to lean towards caution when it comes to head injuries. As a Pens fan, I've gotten used to resolving myself to the fact that I just need to accept a player is injured and move on and be pleasantly surprised when they're back.

That said. It is ludicrous to suggest Crosby, one of the first guys to be known for waiting excruciatingly long until he felt absolutely 100% before returning, is ignoring all the information and treatment he's received before to come back before he's ready. After all he's been through, he's not stupid enough to come back if he isn't ready. And before you mention "well playoffs are a different animal." He's missed plenty of crucial games playing it safe with his health lol.

If he plays on Saturday I trust him. The guy has shown no pattern of behavior that he's prone to playing fast and loose with concussions. In fact, it's been the exact opposite.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
In what way is he risking his life after hockey to play and how is it misguided?

because he is taking repeated Trauma to the head over and over and over and over and he still does not understand that there a is a significant chance that his life after hockey will be short and full of symptoms and diseases as a result of repeated brain injuries.

its misquided because I am pretty sure that Crosby can read and therefore he is either not reading the literature regarding repeated concussions and the long term effects of same or is and he is being stupid and continuing to risk permanent long term damage to the only brain he will ever have.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

:laugh:

and here's another one for the second part:

:laugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I probably got ten concussions playing hockey. Might explain a few things, but Jesus people worry so much nowadays. Yes take precautions, but good lord also understand that this is what hockey players live for. Does Crosby strike you as someone who brain is "scrambled" as some have suggested? The guy is more articulate than 90% of you people. Maybe some of you need to take your concern over to the youtube videos of guys balancing on the edges of skyscrapers. Nah, on there you probably say "they are just living life to the fullest" or something.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
because he is taking repeated Trauma to the head over and over and over and over and he still does not understand that there a is a significant chance that his life after hockey will be short and full of symptoms and diseases as a result of repeated brain injuries.

its misquided because I am pretty sure that Crosby can read and therefore he is either not reading the literature regarding repeated concussions and the long term effects of same or is and he is being stupid and continuing to risk permanent long term damage to the only brain he will ever have.

Lol...I'm sure he appreciates your concern.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
Crosby skated with the 1st line today. He will probably be playing tomorrow night barring any setbacks.

The whole concussion BS is out of hand. You never hear Gretzky or Lemieux talking about how they're messed up from concussions and how they will never be the same. You don't think they didn't get concussions? Headshots were allowed in the league up until the past 5 years. Now, players simply just don't protect themselves when playing because they know it will draw a penalty or suspension. The only guys who had real concussion issues were Lindros, Savard and a couple others. But these weren't normal concussions. These were monsterous, vicious hits that ended their careers. The stuff Crosby has endured are clearly not giving him long lasting problems, because each concussion he's had he returned quicker than the previous. Just look at this year, concussion, missed 2 weeks. Now he's had a second one, and he's only missed 3 days. Perfect example of why concussions are blown out of proportion. Sid has had at least 3 concussions, yet this was his fastest recovery ever. In the previous 3 he didn't skate with full pads anywhere near this fast.

Look at Rugby. They wear absolutely no protection whatsoever. Nobody cries about how dangerous that can be.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

I wasn't aware you and Sid were so close that you would know what he does and doesn't understand and what he does or doesn't read. Surprised he listens to his doctors and you can't talk some sense into him.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa

I'm sorry you've gone through that. I have some friends that have had ongoing concussion issues, and no how bad it can get. But I also know people who had one or two serious ones in high school 15 years ago and none since - there are plenty of anecdotal stories on both sides.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Isn't there a mandatory timeframe a player must sit out after being diagnosed with a concussion? Why am I thinking 10 days. I must be confused and wrong on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad