Crosby has a concussion | Part II (Mod Warning #177 and the OP)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Crosby skated with the 1st line today. He will probably be playing tomorrow night barring any setbacks.

The whole concussion BS is out of hand. You never hear Gretzky or Lemieux talking about how they're messed up from concussions and how they will never be the same. You don't think they didn't get concussions? Headshots were allowed in the league up until the past 5 years. Now, players simply just don't protect themselves when playing because they know it will draw a penalty or suspension. The only guys who had real concussion issues were Lindros, Savard and a couple others. But these weren't normal concussions. These were monsterous, vicious hits that ended their careers. The stuff Crosby has endured are clearly not giving him long lasting problems, because each concussion he's had he returned quicker than the previous. Just look at this year, concussion, missed 2 weeks. Now he's had a second one, and he's only missed 3 days. Perfect example of why concussions are blown out of proportion. Sid has had at least 3 concussions, yet this was his fastest recovery ever. In the previous 3 he didn't skate with full pads anywhere near this fast.

Look at Rugby. They wear absolutely no protection whatsoever. Nobody cries about how dangerous that can be.

I tend to agree. Concussions are serious, need to be treated, but relax. All of those ex-enforcers also did a lot of other things that caused them issues that involved chemicals, not just concussions. Crosby us a health nut.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So tired of all the Crosby concussion articles. He clearly is fine, and wasn't concussed too badly, if he is ready to play tonight, leave the guy alone.

He knows the risks, he is willing to keep going, good on him.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Crosby skated with the 1st line today. He will probably be playing tomorrow night barring any setbacks.

The whole concussion BS is out of hand. You never hear Gretzky or Lemieux talking about how they're messed up from concussions and how they will never be the same. You don't think they didn't get concussions? Headshots were allowed in the league up until the past 5 years. Now, players simply just don't protect themselves when playing because they know it will draw a penalty or suspension. The only guys who had real concussion issues were Lindros, Savard and a couple others. But these weren't normal concussions. These were monsterous, vicious hits that ended their careers. The stuff Crosby has endured are clearly not giving him long lasting problems, because each concussion he's had he returned quicker than the previous. Just look at this year, concussion, missed 2 weeks. Now he's had a second one, and he's only missed 3 days. Perfect example of why concussions are blown out of proportion. Sid has had at least 3 concussions, yet this was his fastest recovery ever. In the previous 3 he didn't skate with full pads anywhere near this fast.

Look at Rugby. They wear absolutely no protection whatsoever. Nobody cries about how dangerous that can be.

You just took the two most prominent high scoring players as examples of how concussions can affect players. If you get significant post concussion symptoms you obviously would not belong in that category. That's like using lottery winners as examples of how lottery tickets work.

Different individuals have different suceptability to sustain long time post-concussion symptoms and Crosby was out due to those for almost a year. Even minor concussions can cause long lasting symptoms in some people. The fact that the symptoms returned 8 months after his hit in 2011 without receiving another one means he's obviously not one of the unaffected peopple. Lindros, Savard, Franzén and other non-enforcers with troubles after their careers ended are known to us because they were great players. There's probably a ton of fringe players who have similar problems that we won't know of.

I'm not commenting about whether of not Crosby should play, that's up to him and his doctors. But concussions are a BIG deal, it's not overblown.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-estoclet-hockey-concussion/ fringe player talking about experiences with concussion.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
You just took the two most prominent high scoring players as examples of how concussions can affect players. If you get significant post concussion symptoms you obviously would not belong in that category. That's like using lottery winners as examples of how lottery tickets work.

Different individuals have different suceptability to sustain long time post-concussion symptoms and Crosby was out due to those for almost a year. Even minor concussions can cause long lasting symptoms in some people. The fact that the symptoms returned 8 months after his hit in 2011 without receiving another one means he's obviously not one of the unaffected peopple. Lindros, Savard, Franzén and other non-enforcers with troubles after their careers ended are known to us because they were great players. There's probably a ton of fringe players who have similar problems that we won't know of.

I'm not commenting about whether of not Crosby should play, that's up to him and his doctors. But concussions are a BIG deal, it's not overblown.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-estoclet-hockey-concussion/ fringe player talking about experiences with concussion.

Nailed it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Weren't a lot of Crosby's post concussion syndrome symptoms later found out to be related to an undiagnosed neck injury?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So tired of all the Crosby concussion articles. He clearly is fine, and wasn't concussed too badly, if he is ready to play tonight, leave the guy alone.

He knows the risks, he is willing to keep going, good on him.

Attitudes like the bolded are why there's a mandatory concussion protocol.

jh477

Jan 21, 2009
I'm a bit surprised Crosby was able to pass the concussion baseline test so soon, but it's a huge relief that it ended up being so mild. He will be a game-time decision tonight, although I think it may be wiser to give him a couple more days, just to make sure he's 100% ready to go.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I'm a bit surprised Crosby was able to pass the concussion baseline test so soon, but it's a huge relief that it ended up being so mild. He will be a game-time decision tonight, although I think it may be wiser to give him a couple more days, just to make sure he's 100% ready to go.

Yeah I think the series ends tonight regardless of if he plays. Might be smart to just sit him, then he'll be fresh for the next series.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
I tend to agree. Concussions are serious, need to be treated, but relax. All of those ex-enforcers also did a lot of other things that caused them issues that involved chemicals, not just concussions. Crosby us a health nut.

Exactly. Boogaard mixed meds or painkillers with alcohol, and Rypien if I remember correctly was a boxer growing up which if his depression was from concussions, he was likely already in trouble before he was drafted.

Plus neck problems cause a lot of concussion symptoms. I believe, which is obviously just my opinion and not a fact, that Crosby just has a neck stinger. The fact he's already a game time decision, hasn't been ruled out, practiced with the team yesterday, says it's more likely a neck problem or he just saw stars. Heck, you cough hard enough you will see stars. I'm not saying concussions aren't serious, but when people freak out over "seeing stars" and "getting your bell rung" it's silly. Because if seeing stars or getting your bell rung means you have a concussion, we've all had dozens of concussions just from when we were a child, or every time we cough too hard.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Good news. I think he'll be fine, but if I were him I would not play tonight either way.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I think this was what already happened for game 4.

I'm starting to wonder if that was the case too. Would explain why both he and Sheary are back in the same amount of time. Neither was actually concussed but they wanted to see if symptoms arose. Bit tinfoil hat of me to say that though. Complete speculation

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Been thinking about this...

If Crosby was actually diagnosed with a concussion, with symptoms being pretty cut and dry, I don't see any reason why the Pens let him play tonight. They have a 3-1 series lead on a team with absolutely no confidence in themselves right now, especially against Pittsburgh, with a win tonight probably giving them at least 5-6 more days and maybe more before their next game. There's absolutely no high reward for playing Crosby tonight compared to heavy risk. It makes me think they're only saying he might play tonight for gamesmanship: Caps players are probably thinking, I may have to play tonight and risk giving one of the best players in the game today and maybe ever a career-ending injury with minimal intent or effort. Finding out he's not playing might put them off-guard and feeling too easy and give the Pens a chance to ambush them early. Not saying that's what would actually happen, but maybe it's what the Pens are going for.

Of course, if Sid was never diagnosed with a concussion and this was, as said above, all just precautionary in case symptoms showed up a few days later, and none have, then he probably will play.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Clarke McCarthur - plays although suffering numerous sever concussions, deemed a warrior (and rightly so)

Sidney Crosby - plays after suffering numerous concussion, called out for "risking his life"......

K.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Clarke McCarthur - plays although suffering numerous sever concussions, deemed a warrior (and rightly so)

Sidney Crosby - plays after suffering numerous concussion, called out for "risking his life"......

K.
One is the face of the league, the other is Clarke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad