Proposal: Creative ways to shed Loui Eriksson contract

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
can you be on the ltir of one team and in the front office of an other? i doubt it.
Good point. That is why there is a massive conflict of interest in that Luongo worked in the Panthers front office right away while he was/is being paid by Vancouver

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Blackhawks Hossa deal, he became "allergic to hockey gear" and went on LTIR for all his down yrs. You have to remember also the NHL goalies were playing into their 40s regularly at the time.

The point about Dipietro is these deals weren't slam dunk cap circumventions, they were hugely risky venture for the team's, case in point the Dipietro contract.
The hossa one he was already allergic to hockey gear or whatever and they had to up his steroids for him to keep playing , he had it for most of his life . Like the nhl insurers got a second opinion to make sure he wasnt lying.

Tbh it wasnt advantageous to chicago at all because he was still a great player. But it is fun to be like oh made up equipment allergy

Reactions: Naster Okan

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The simple formula was pretty messed up though. I mean, the closer the player came to fulfilling the whole contract, the bigger the penalty.
That only happened in cases where the team foolishly traded away the contract. The penalty is the cap advantage the team got divided by the years remaining. If Vancouver had hung onto Luongo the later years of the contract where his cap hit was higher than his salary would have worked to reduce the penalty.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Man this thread just reminded me of how bad Vancouver's goalie managment was that year . They had two good 1A goalies traded one after they pissed the other one off. At least they got horvat

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Good point. That is why there is a massive conflict of interest in that Luongo worked in the Panthers front office right away while he was/is being paid by Vancouver
Pronger was on ltir and working for the nhl.

Is it dirty idk because an office job is probably better for your concussion or hip problems .

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Pronger was on ltir and working for the nhl.

Is it dirty idk because an office job is probably better for your concussion or hip problems .
When a team offers you a job in front office right away upon retiring and they don't have to pay the bulk of the recapture there is a big conflict of interest. They could have coerced him to retire with the promise of that position. Surprised the league let that one go.

Pronger was legit concussed. Completely different story.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
The hossa one he was already allergic to hockey gear or whatever and they had to up his steroids for him to keep playing , he had it for most of his life . Like the nhl insurers got a second opinion to make sure he wasnt lying.

Tbh it wasnt advantageous to chicago at all because he was still a great player. But it is fun to be like oh made up equipment allergy
It was completely advantageous considering his age, the state of the team and the decline in his play. He still had some game but it's absurd to suggest that it wasn't at least perfect timing.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Luongo retired. He wasn’t/isnt being paid by the Canucks once he filed his papers. Don’t confuse a cap penalty with actual money. The Canucks aren’t paying a cent on the cap penalty. They just have their cap space reduced by that amount.

Reactions: 1989 and nturn06

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Luongo retired. He wasn’t/isnt being paid by the Canucks once he filed his papers. Don’t confuse a cap penalty with actual money. The Canucks aren’t paying a cent on the cap penalty. They just have their cap space reduced by that amount.
Fair point though minute. The major point I'm making is he retires and is not getting paid anymore, yet gets paid the very season he retires, and it affects another team's cap structure hugely while being a huge benefit to Florida's in allowing them to sign Bob (as bad as that decision was). The conflict of interest is astonishing.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Fair point though minute. The major point I'm making is he retires and is not getting paid anymore, yet gets paid the very season he retires, and it affects another team's cap structure hugely while being a huge benefit to Florida's in allowing them to sign Bob (as bad as that decision was). The conflict of interest is astonishing.
How is it a conflict of interest? Vancouver made their own bed by structuring Luongo’s contract like they did. The league was aware of the loophole and warned teams not to exploit it. Gillis did it anyway to make a run at the cup. Vancouver made it worse by not using a compliance buyout to avoid the penalty. Then took it a step further by trading away Luongo after benefiting from the contract when they were cup favourites. The fact that Luongo took a front office job with Florida has nothing to do with any of those decisions. Lots of players stay with an organization after retiring. He’s making a salary that’s appropriate to the position.(as confirmed by the NHL)

based on your argument I can only assume that you actually have no idea what constitutes a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1989

rajinikanthfan1

rajinikanthfan1
Jun 25, 2006
North Delta
we shuld trade loui eriksson and Olli Juolevi, i wonder who will accept this trade, tbh im not a fan of Olli because he already had alot of injuries in the past, i feel like his NHL future seems okay

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

The issue with Luongo is that he was injured enough that he could have gone onto LTIR. However, he chose to retire as the Panthers would have been on the hook for a some portion of his salary (as I believe his contract wasn't fully insured). So it helped out the Panthers saving money on him while just having him sit at home instead of working as part of the front office.

Honestly, that was my hope for the Canucks to get out of the situation with Eriksson. Tell him to retire and then hire him as part of your front office. Or just make his life as hard as possible (don't send him to the AHL, send him to the ECHL). Now, I think the Canucks are stuck with him for this year at the least.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The issue with Luongo is that he was injured enough that he could have gone onto LTIR. However, he chose to retire as the Panthers would have been on the hook for a some portion of his salary (as I believe his contract wasn't fully insured). So it helped out the Panthers saving money on him while just having him sit at home instead of working as part of the front office.

Honestly, that was my hope for the Canucks to get out of the situation with Eriksson. Tell him to retire and then hire him as part of your front office. Or just make his life as hard as possible (don't send him to the AHL, send him to the ECHL). Now, I think the Canucks are stuck with him for this year at the least.
In his retirement speech he never mentioned being injured. He specifically says he didn’t want to go through the effort of getting into game shape. A p lol sure can’t just choose to go on LTIR. It has to be proven. Regardless. There’s still no conflict of interest. It’s an internal situation. Players regularly retire and take jobs with the organization. The effect on Vancouver had zero baring on how Florida handled the situation.

with regard to Eriksson. You can’t pay an ex player more than market value for the position. So trying to replace the $5m he’d be losing out on would be pretty much impossible.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Teams want to save actual money though right. So yes they move a slightly better player but they save a few million and they add a pick or prospect. If I am an owner of a non cap team I would be looking to save real dollars for cap space, why not.

Because you budget is limited next year so you would not be wanting to spend 4 million on him.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
How is it a conflict of interest? Vancouver made their own bed by structuring Luongo’s contract like they did. The league was aware of the loophole and warned teams not to exploit it. Gillis did it anyway to make a run at the cup. Vancouver made it worse by not using a compliance buyout to avoid the penalty. Then took it a step further by trading away Luongo after benefiting from the contract when they were cup favourites. The fact that Luongo took a front office job with Florida has nothing to do with any of those decisions. Lots of players stay with an organization after retiring. He’s making a salary that’s appropriate to the position.(as confirmed by the NHL)

based on your argument I can only assume that you actually have no idea what constitutes a conflict of interest.
Luongo retires before the end of his contract, why do you think that is? Well it could be because he wasn't good enough or just didn't want to play any more but it also could be because by doing so he is gaining a foothold in a career in front office management, the team offering him the job benefits from having his cap hit come off the book (albeit retaining minimal recapture) so they can sign Bobrovsky. You really don't see the conflict of interest right there alone? Well add on top of that that in retirement another team is forced to take on a significant cap hits for 3 yrs.

Luongo could easily still be playing in the league or in the minors but that wouldn't help Florida much would it. So lets give him a career in the front office to compensate.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Luongo could easily still be playing in the league or in the minors but that wouldn't help Florida much would it. So lets give him a career in the front office to compensate.
Maybe he didn't want to play anymore. Since the new owners came in, the Panthers have given front office jobs to plenty of ex-players, so it's not even surprising it happened.

If you think teams can just strong arm players into retirement, why doesn't Vancouver force Eriksson to retire for the low price of a front office job?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Maybe he didn't want to play anymore. Since the new owners came in, the Panthers have given front office jobs to plenty of ex-players, so it's not even surprising it happened.

If you think teams can just strong arm players into retirement, why doesn't Vancouver force Eriksson to retire for the low price of a front office job?
Don't get me wrong I'm not even saying this is what happened. I'm just saying it is a conflict of interest. The club can nudge a player in the direction. The difference for Eriksson is that he is Swedish and lives in Sweden, never shown any interest in staying here.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Luongo retires before the end of his contract, why do you think that is? Well it could be because he wasn't good enough or just didn't want to play any more but it also could be because by doing so he is gaining a foothold in a career in front office management, the team offering him the job benefits from having his cap hit come off the book (albeit retaining minimal recapture) so they can sign Bobrovsky. You really don't see the conflict of interest right there alone? Well add on top of that that in retirement another team is forced to take on a significant cap hits for 3 yrs.

He retired because his salary dropped from $3.4m to $1.6m. and it wasn’t worth it to him to go through the hassle of getting in shape.

Again. You don’t understand what a conflict of interest is. A conflict can only exist between Luongo and Florida. Vancouver doesn’t factor in. He chose to retire. He could have kept playing but it wasn’t worth $1.6m to him to do so when he could make a couple hundred k working a head office job. He likely could have walked into any number of head office jobs with a number of franchises. It doesn’t matter in the least that it’s Florida.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

He has major hip issues and knew he was done; that last season was rough and he didn’t play up to his standards.

He gave Florida the choice: retire or go on LTIR. For some reason I don’t fully understand (guessing offseason flexibility), Tallon has him retire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad