Creatine

ctrules

Mar 29, 2005
i was just wondering if anyone here has taken creatine before. im really looking to get an edge and pick up my training b4 my hockey season starts in a month and i think creatine may be the way to go. does anyone here no if this stuff works for hockey? I mean i no you gain a lot of muscle mass by taking it but does that mean it will slow you down on the ice? or because u have more muscle can u skate faster?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
May as well do steroids. It's horrible advice, but creatine is absolute junk. Creatine will make you gain a bunch of water weight and is almost as hard on your body systems as roids. If you don't care about your health, you're better off with steroids.

If you aren't already a bag of muscles than you don't need any supplements (expect maybe straight protein powder) to make phenominal gains in weight training. I just added 30lbs to my max bench in the last 6 weeks without supplements. Just learn to work out properly and expect to work hard. Remember, there's no way to cheat ("get an edge") without negative consequences.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I agree completly.

You system creates enough creatine to keep it healthy. Anything more can really wreck your body. There have been cases of kidney problems and even renal failure.

I have worked with high performance athletes (and used to be one of them). One of the girls that I used to train with was using creatine. She never reached the peak that she was expected to and has had some serious health problems now that she's stopped training. (Muscle pain due to dehydration of muscles, a few random kidney infections, muscle tears ect)

It is NOT worth it to even TRY taking the creatine.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
My brother was on creatine for a while, thinking it would help him gain muscle mass - he wasn't eating well because he was too busy filling himself with protein, drinking a lot of caffeine drinks, and then one day - he fainted at the steering wheel, crashing into a house.

No previous history of fainting episodes, hasn't fainted since. This was in February, he was extremely lucky he decided to drive thru town instead of take the mini-freeway.

Creatine is absolute junk, and its disgusting how at these nutrition stores they advertise the heck out of this stuff.

Sideshow

May 24, 2002
Fernie, BC
Creatine is awful...I went on it on the advice of a "respected" personal trainer back in '98 or so when it first came out, and I blacked out TWICE during the two months that I was on it - I have never blacked out before or since my experiment in creatine, and I have always been 100% healthy and in good shape.

I still remember the numbers...I was at 181 pounds when I went on it, immediately went up to 190 a week into taking it, and all the way back down to 182 within two weeks of going off it. It's all water weight.

Despite anyone that says it's safe, or what it says on the box, I can assure you it's not. Please PM me if you have any questions about it or my experience with it.

Protein powder is a great, healthy way to help you achieve what I'm sure you're looking for. Put a bunch in a glass of skim milk and you're ready to rock.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
LoL, creative is not that horrible for and it been proved to work with most people who take it to help get gains. As long as you eat well still you have nothing to worry about using it for just a month. (even longer it doesnt matter)

DevilsSMASH

May 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've been on it for a while and have noticed that I don't pull muscles as much and have more endurace (soccer).

I also have gained quite a bit of muscle mass. I guess it reacts differently to different people.

I completely disagree with the notion that it is that harmful, you still have to eat healthy and workout/run regularly. I take it after workouts in a shake with protein, fruits, flax seed, yogurt, etc. I would definitely reccomend it.

This guy has the right idea.....

You want an edge? Take the time to learn about nutrition..... to REALLY learn about nutrition and how critical it is to supporting the body in training.

When I say nutrition, I'm specifically talking about what you eat. Supplements are cool if for some reason you need to make up for something you cannot get a sufficient amount of in your diet (I take fish oil and some protein, as well as a really good multivitamin- sometimes I'll have some spirulina and chlorella) but your nutrition should primarily come from healthy, fibrous, fresh food. Avoid simple starches without fiber, avoid soda and anything with high fructose corn syrup, avoid fried foods, use a cooking oil like coconut oil, etc.

I train in Muay Thai and I've been eating like this for about a year and a half now, and I've never felt better and more empowered in my life.

A couple websites to get you started:

www.newstarget.com
www.mercola.com

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
LoL, creative is not that horrible for and it been proved to work with most people who take it to help get gains. As long as you eat well still you have nothing to worry about using it for just a month. (even longer it doesnt matter)

We're just all posting our experiences.

My experiences are coming from athletes who have been to World Championships or PanAm games. They're not your "run of the mill" athletes and serious complications have arisen.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
i was just wondering if anyone here has taken creatine before. im really looking to get an edge and pick up my training b4 my hockey season starts in a month and i think creatine may be the way to go. does anyone here no if this stuff works for hockey? I mean i no you gain a lot of muscle mass by taking it but does that mean it will slow you down on the ice? or because u have more muscle can u skate faster?

Never had dude, but my cuz was on it and he said while your on it you can work out for 2.5 hours and wake up the next day feeling like a king. The day your of you feel like **** though. Its a drug man, and drugs are bad.:nono: :faq:

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Think it's a little late to be trying to gain that edge with a month left. Shoulda been doing it all off season instead of looking for a quick fix. And one side effect I don't think I saw yet...is bad gas. You can definitely tell who's taking it.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
My personal experience with creatine has been very positive. I can work out longer and harder with less downtime. Just drink a lot of water and eat right.

DevilsSMASH

May 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Almost forgot.... there's two camps of how to take creatine... either you can fully load up or you can take it in moderation to provide extra raw material.

Loading up will make you gain a lot of useless water weight, but you can make easier mass gains. This method is also the most taxing on your body, and if you do this you should spend the money to get a very high quality creatine with no artificial sweetners.

Taking it in moderation without loading is good to help enhance your work outs, specifically work outs geared more towards calisthenics and cardio/anaerobic hybrid type activity (like hockey). For this type of use, you would be better off getting a liquid or gel cap form fo better absorption. This method is preferable if you are training to get in shape for the season and mass gains are not the most important thing to you.

BCCHL inactive

Creatine does not make you gain muscle mass. It makes you gain water weight, which makes your muscles APPEAR bigger. It's basically a fraudulent steroid.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
There are alot of ignorant and false statements here. Go to http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ and educate yourself. Alot of people dont realize when they buy a certain creatine product they are getting alot more than just creatine. Your number one priority should be nutrition first, with out that your fighting a losing battle. Supplements are not a shortcut. When taking creatine you dont "feel" like your on anything, so alot of companies add things like caffiene so you think your getting your monies worth. Pure creatine is fine when your properly hydrated, its the extra stuff added you need to stay away from.

ctrules

Mar 29, 2005
thanks for the all the responses guys, it been really helpful.

After reading some stuff im still a bit confused. I think half of the people ive talked to say creatine is awful and the other half say its great.

Basically if all creatine does is add water to your muscles so you look huge and make you gain weight then i think its really not for me. I mean im already 6-2 190 so gaining more weight and muscle mass isn't super important.

On the other hand ive read on some bodybuilding sites that it will not only increase your muscle mass but help improve your fast twitch muscles fibers and really make you faster. Ive gathered that a lot of football players use it and it really helps them bulk up while also keeping or improving their 40 yrd dash times. I mean if I can get faster than I am no AND weight 200 pounds it would help my game so much.

Just to give you guys some more info about me im 17 and play D1 prep hockey in new england for a pretty good team. Im a d-man and am prolly a boarderline D1/D3 college player. I've been training a lot over the summer so i am in really good shape right now. My main goal is really to become a faster skater and be stronger on the ice to hit more. I feel if i can do this i have a very good chance to do D1.

as of now im still really undecided whether or not to use it. Im either gonna take a low dose only before and after a work out and see how it goes or not take it at all. Im gonna talk to my coach tomorrow and the trainer at the school and see what they say. The thing that is really making want to take it is that ive seen kids at my school who play football really improve their speed/strength tremendously. What keeping me away is that creatine doesn’t seem to be that popular with hockey players (I could be completely wrong but it seems to be that way to me).

Thanks for the help.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
take the time to read carefully through the link i put in above and you will find that water addition is NOT at all the only thing creatine does. It is much more extensive an acter than that but the best part is its not so much its own agent. It acts in response to the energy usage of your own atheltic works and accordingly with your dietary nutrition. IF you have insufficient amounts of energy stored in your liver, blood and muscles, creatine isnt going to have asuch an affect. IT also does not kick in right away. It takes your intense work outs producing the muscle building protiens for its affects to really begin.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Like many of other people have stated, creatine doesn't help build muscle in any way. It may make it seem that way because it makes your muscles hold more water than normal. Basically, it just allows your body to recover faster so you can work it a lot harder. Basically like steroids, but doesn't have as many adverse effects as steroids have.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Does Taurine have any effects?
Yes, from what I've read it has many positive effects at reasonable doses of 2-4 grams a day. Do your research and see if it's something for you. You may also want to look into tyrosine and beta-alanine.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
There's nothing wrong with creatine. Just get some CEE and take 4-5 grams after your workout. Adding BCAAs is also a good idea. They're some of the amino acids your body breaks protein down to. Make sure your diet is on point and that you get plenty of water, especially during the time you workout, and you'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad