Create the best 5 man unit possible without the use of Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr/Howe

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ovechkin - Thornton - Selanne
Lidstrom - Pronger (Hard to argue against this pairing).

Paired the greatest goal scorer of all time with the greatest playmaker not named Gretzky. Thought that Selanne's speed and skill would compliment Ovechkin nicely and creates another scoring threat.

Bure was another option I considered but I think that Selanne in his prime was better.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
People seem to throw around Ovie-Crosby-Jagr in the same line. Yes, they are probably the best ones in their positions, but how about chemistry? I don’t see them as a perfect match.

So, chemistry-wise I’d propose..

Kariya-Crosby-Selänne
Karlsson-Lidström

Tell me, how would that NOT work? IQ, skill, speed off the charts, all out offense, but Sid and Lids can take care of the defense also. But you wouldn’t need to, because you’d had the puck all the time.

Forsberg would probably also fit quite well between those two.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

A lot of people on this forum say 90's era hockey was inflated/overrated, strange how so many 90's players are being chosen here though.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Not just focusing on offence, but overall prowess.

Fedorov-Forsberg-Jagr

Lidström-Bourque

Good luck going up against that line.

Orange Dragon

Feb 5, 2016
People seem to throw around Ovie-Crosby-Jagr in the same line. Yes, they are probably the best ones in their positions, but how about chemistry? I don’t see them as a perfect match.

I think it would work out quite well. Jagr and Crosby are incredibly hard to knock of the puck, they have the ability to bond multiple opposing players to them and exceptional play making skills. Ovi could just float around and wait for a perfect feeds for his one timers.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Heatley Spezza Alfredsson
Konstantinov Fetisov

Over their 3 peak seasons, Heatley Spezza Alfredsson averaged 1.23, 1.25, and 1.28 points per game, respectively. Over 82 games, that translates to an average of 101, 103, and 105 point seasons. That's about as balanced as it gets for a true line, and they had the shooting threat, playmaker, and the two way animal.

Konstantinov Fetisov is a no brainer for me. An intelligent, physically imposing, and productive pairing with unbreakable chemistry.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not the best but...

Ovechkin - Thornton - Jagr

Chara - Doughty

Arguably the best pure passer in the past 20 years, with the best shooter and best puck protector.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Charlie Simmer (that shot) - Phil Esposito - Guy Lafleur

Raymond Bourque - Nicklas Lidstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad