Create a Kraken Mock Expansion Draft

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Like talked about on the Expansion Draft Thread, here's a thread were people can share and discuss(in a civilized manner) their own Mock Expansion Drafts.

In order to create one I'd advise you to use the updated Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator from Cap Friendly.
Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It has all the protections already integrated and you can start selecting the guys left unprotected without worrying about anything.

Have fun and let's see what your Mock Draft looks like!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Here's my most recent attempt. I avoided players who were UFAs this year unless I was confident in them signing. Though maybe I missed a few:

Drouin (MTL) - Domi (CLB) - Eberle (NYI)
Dadonov (OTT) - Gourde (TB) - Johnsson (NJ)
Kerfoot (TOR) - Jarnkrok (NSH) - Donskoi (COL)
Grundstrom (LA) - Turris (EDM) - Nieto (SJ)
Aston-Reese (PIT) - L'Esperance (DAL) - Kase (BOS)
Fischer (ARI)

Giordano (CGY) - Fleury (ANA)
Gostisbehere (PHI) - DeMelo (WPG)
Bean (CAR) - Bowey (VAN)
Dunn (STL) - Miller (BUF)
Zadorov (CHI) - Stecher (DET)

Driedger (FLA)
Kahkonen (MIN)
Kincaid (NYR)
Vanecek (WAS)

AAV at the moment: $68.3 million
Projected Room: $13.2 million
RFA/UFAs to sign: Aston-Reese, Kase, Bean, Zadorov, Dunn, Driedger

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Here's my most recent attempt. I avoided players who were UFAs this year unless I was confident in them signing. Though maybe I missed a few:

Drouin (MTL) - Domi (CLB) - Eberle (NYI)
Dadonov (OTT) - Gourde (TB) - Donskoi (COL)
McCann (TOR) - Jarnkrok (NSH) - Virtanen (VAN)
Grundstrom (LA) - Turris (EDM) - Nieto (SJ)
Aston-Reese (PIT) - L'Esperance (DAL) - Kase (BOS)
Fischer (ARI)

Giordano (CGY) - Fleury (ANA)
Gostisbehere (PHI) - DeMelo (WPG)
Zadorov (CHI) - Miller (BUF)
Butcher (NJ) - Dunn (STL)
Bean (CAR) - Stecher (DET)

Driedger (FLA)
Kahkonen (MIN)
Kincaid (NYR)
Vanecek (WAS)

AAV at the moment: $69.9 million
Projected Room: $11.6 million
RFA/UFAs to sign: Aston-Reese, Kase, Bean, Zadorov, Dunn, Driedger

Might want to take a closer look at that pick from Vancouver.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Forwards
Domi(CLB)-Gourde(TBL)-Tarasenko(STL)
Drouin(MTL)-McCann(TOR)-Eberle(NYI)
Donskoi(COL)-Tierney(OTT)-Appleton(WPG)
Gaultier(NYR)-Gambrell(SJS)-Pitlick(AZ)
Bastian(NJD)-Oglevie(BUF)-Kero(DAL)
Grundstrom(LAK)-Benson(EDM)

Defence
Giordano(CGY)-Jensen(WAS)
Pettersson(PIT)-Stecher(DET)
Hagg(PHI)-Benning(NSH)
Fleury(ANA)-Bean(CAR)
Bowey(VAN)-Lauzon(BOS)

Goalies
Driedger(FLA)
Kahkonen(MIN)
Subban(CHI)

$71m in cap commitments with Driedger, Jake Bean & Tyler Benson to re-sign

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I'm not even going to post mine because I can't settle on something. It's too hard. There is too much good to be had. I think it's a far more difficult decision now. Granted, I put Price in for a few scenarios and I'll say, It's doable. A damn good team can be put together with him AND a lot of the other guys that you'd imagine we'd want. The sacrifice is pretty low and there is a good 10m cap space afterward. Even paying Hamilton 7m. This is very interesting.

If I'm a player on these available lists, I'm looking at whose available and I'm probably hoping to be chosen. It definitely has potential to be fun.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I wish there was a simulator that would allow you to select players and calculate cap hit. Too much work otherwise

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Expect far more role players and fewer big names.

This will not be a playoff team.

If you think otherwise, feel free to PM me before - or after - the expansion draft to make it interesting.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Max Domi - Adam Henrique - Vladimir Tarasenko
Joonas Donskoi - Jared McCann - Julien Gauthier
Brandon Tanev - Alex Barre-Boulet - Christian Fischer
Yakov Trenin - Dylan Gambrell - Nathan Bastian
(Dominic Toninato, Tyler Benson, Nicholas Caamano)

Mark Giordano - Nick Jensen
Carson Soucy - Shayne Gostisbehere
Jake Bean - Troy Stecher
(Nikita Zadorov, Brett Kulak, Connor Clifton, Kale Clague, William Borgen)

Chris Driedger
Braden Holtby
(Joey Daccord, Ken Appleby)

1st+3rd rounders from WPG and NYI for staying away from Appleton/DeMelo and Bailey/Eberle
2nd rounders from ANA and VAN for taking Henrique and Holtby perhaps with salary retained on one or both
Picks and/or prospects for flipping Zadorov and Kulak after the expansion draft

Assuming $3.5M for Driedger and another $3M combined for Bean and Barre-Boulet this roster is roughly $68 million but could end up costing a little less if Holtby or Henrique comes with salary retained. Gourde is a great player but signed for too much and too long at his age. Tampa should have to pay Seattle to take a big contract like that. Tarasenko is worth the risk IMO because if he re-establishes himself with top line minutes and PP duty he could be flipped for serious assets.

I don't think this roster is a playoff team but it leaves a ton of cap flexibility and extra picks to build towards a true contender. Just my two cents. Excited to see what Francis builds!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I went with some Europeans that were playing and will play over seas next year...Saarijarvi,Abramov! And one I'd send back over like Jesper Lindgren because he's not going to crack the NHL lineup! otherwise mostly young players on the cheap together with some big signings like Landeskog at 8.oM, Danault 6.5M,A Larsson 5.5 M! Not sure If I keep Domi or trade him! Ditto for Gostibehere at 4.5M! Dunn I keep and give a decent raise to 3.0-3.5M! Dreidger gets drafted as one of goalers along with Holtby(traded at the deadline) and Vanecek. First 2 lines could be made up of Landeskog,Henrique,Danault,McCann,Appleton, Domi!Third and 3rd and 4th lines made up of youngsters Bellows,Gauthier,Bastien,Gambrell,Gaudette,Mascherin with Vets Jarnkrok,Girgensons! Defensively beside the aformentioned Larsson,Dunn and Gostibehere there is Bean,C Foote,Zboril,Kylington,Cholowski and Menell with Euro Saarijarvi, and Lindgren who's waiver exempt so maybe he stays. Abramov definitely plays a year maybe two in KHL! Instead of Bean from Carolina I'm toying with signing Hamilton long term to solidify the RD position with Larsson and Foote but that may take some doing after signing Landeskog to big money. Salary without Hamilton comes in at 65.707M some 15.793 M under the 81.5 cap...so Hamilton could be a get...a lot of youngsters with a sprinkling of vets and some Euros stashed in KHL and Finland too
Gabriel_Landeskog_with_the_Avalanche_vs_Islanders_on_January_6_2020_Quintin_Soloviev-scaled.jpeg
Phillip-Danault-looking-behind-him-1024x683.jpg
1148229230.jpg.jpg
0.0011.png

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is the team I came up with.

Voracek*-Johansen*-Bailey
Drouin-Domi-Appleton
Tanev-Tierney-Compher*
Kero-Johnson*-Turris
Bjugstad-Fischer

Maatta-'A' Hamilton**
Dermott-Miller
R. Murray**-Stecher
Simek

Chris Dreidger
Vitek Vanecek
Colin Delia

PB/Charlotte Checkers:
Henman-Lazar-Gauthier

Mikkola-Bowey
J. Larsson

Parsons

* - Trades linked to the selection
** - Extension after selection

Trades I predict:
- Seattle takes Johansen in exchange for 1st 2021, 1st 2022, 2nd 2021 and Tyson Forester/Morgan Frost
- Seattle takes Voracek in exchange for 1st 2021, 1st 2022, 2nd 2021 and David Farrance
- Seattle takes Compher in exchange for a 2nd 2022 and 4th 2021
- Seattle takes Tyler Johnson in exchange for Callan Foote, Mathieu Joseph/Taylor Raddysh/Mitchell Stephens, 1st 2022, 1st 2023, 3rd 2021, and 5th 2021
Didn't put them on the roster considering I'm not too sure about the players in the trades. One idea I though could happen is Seattle might work something out wish Nashville taking one less 1st and send Duchene to Seattle for Johnson+ cap dump on Seattle's end.

All those aside, I'll say the additional players are Foote, Raddysh, Farrance and Frost.

I also understand the team is above the cap right now.

My choice of captains from this roster would be:
C - Josh Bailey
A - Ryan Johansen
A - Jakub Voracek
A - Dougie Hamilton

Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Expect far more role players and fewer big names.

This will not be a playoff team.

If you think otherwise, feel free to PM me before - or after - the expansion draft to make it interesting.

I agree with the first part. Fans always take the big names in these mock drafts but the actual teams rarely do.

Disagree on the playoffs though. I think a spot is well within reach if the team wants to go that way. Vegas and Edmonton are likely locks, the rest of the division is just plain bad. Only have to play as well as the crappy Canucks, Sharks, Kings and they're right in the mix.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This is the team I came up with.

Voracek*-Johansen*-Bailey
Namestnikov-Domi-Appleton
Tanev-Tierney-Compher*
Kero-Johnson*-Turris
Bjugstad-Fischer

Maatta-'A' Hamilton**
Dermott-Miller
R. Murray**-Nutivaara
Simek

Carey Price
Vitek Vanecek
Colin Delia

PB/Charlotte Checkers:
Henman-Lazar-Gauthier

Mikkola-Bowey
J. Larsson

Parsons

* - Trades linked to the selection
** - Extension after selection

If not Price and Delia I think Seattle goes with either Driedger, M. Subban, or Holtby (instead of Bowey from Vancouver). Instead of Price from Montreal, I think Seattle takes Drouin, which would be a good and ideal alternative.

Trades I predict:
- Seattle takes Johansen in exchange for 1st 2021, 1st 2022, 2nd 2021 and Tyson Forester/Morgan Frost
- Seattle takes Voracek in exchange for 1st 2021, 1st 2022, 2nd 2021 and David Farrance
- Seattle takes Compher in exchange for a 2nd 2022 and 4th 2021
- Seattle takes Tyler Johnson in exchange for Callan Foote, Mathieu Joseph/Taylor Raddysh/Mitchell Stephens, 1st 2022, 1st 2023, 3rd 2021, and 5th 2021
Didn't put them on the roster considering I'm not too sure about the players in the trades. One idea I though could happen is Seattle might work something out wish Nashville taking one less 1st and send Duchene to Seattle for Johnson+ cap dump on Seattle's end.

All those aside, I'll say the addition forwards are Foote, Raddysh, Farrance and Frost.

I also understand the team is above the cap right now.

My choice of captains from this roster would be:
C - Josh Bailey
A - Ryan Johansen
A - Jakub Voracek
A - Dougie Hamilton

Carey Price would be the face of the Seattle Kraken within this roster.

So Tampa pays two 1st's, a former 1st rounder who just finished his rookie year, a good young forward, a 3rd and 5th just to dump Johnson? That's not gonna happen, they'll let you take one of Gourde, Palat or Killorn instead.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Here's my go with no speculative trades yet..

Gourde - Johansen - Eberle
Dadonov - Domi - Fischer
Tanev - Rask - Compher
Byron - Kerfoot - Gambrell

Gauthier, Svechnikov, Grundstrom, Benson, Lind

Ghost - DeMelo
Zadorov - Dunn
Butcher - Miller

Giordano, Lauzon, Bean, Mahura

Dreidger
Vanecek

Bishop

Flip Giordano and Bishop for picks. See what you got in the younger guys who aren't on the main lineup and if they can't make the team out of camp or someone makes a good offer sooner you flip them for picks.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Here's my go with no speculative trades yet..

Gourde - Johansen - Eberle
Dadonov - Domi - Fischer
Tanev - Rask - Compher
Byron - Kerfoot - Gambrell

Gauthier, Svechnikov, Grundstrom, Benson, Lind

Ghost - DeMelo
Zadorov - Dunn
Butcher - Miller

Giordano, Lauzon, Bean, Mahura

Dreidger
Vanecek

Bishop

Flip Giordano and Bishop for picks. See what you got in the younger guys who aren't on the main lineup and if they can't make the team out of camp or someone makes a good offer sooner you flip them for picks.

Rask is a 1c :sarcasm:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So Tampa pays two 1st's, a former 1st rounder who just finished his rookie year, a good young forward, a 3rd and 5th just to dump Johnson? That's not gonna happen, they'll let you take one of Gourde, Palat or Killorn instead.

In ways it might be over the top for a proposal, but I think it's ideal considering Johnson's contract tried to be moved multiple times, the only way Johnson moves is to a low-taxed state. Plus he's from Washington.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tampa fan with my take on the draft. Not knowing what the side deals are it's hard to determine which way to go on some teams picks. I have them in tiers and I'll some notes.

No brainers
Boston-Lauzon best available should start in the top 6
Buffalo-Borgen RD is needed, other choices not good
Calgary-Giordano great trade piece, can retain and get better return
Columbus-Domi best available need C, other choices not good
Florida-Driedger seems like he's the starter
New Jersey-Merkley still has potential as former 1st, other choices don't stand out
New York-Guathier still has potential as former 1st, other choices didn't stand out
Ottawa-Daccord waiver exempt so can be your AHL starter, only concern injuries
Pittsburgh-Tanev 100% effort player, perfect team guy, contract is fair
San Jose-Gambrell decent 4C, other options not impressive
Washington-Vanacek great trade piece, cheap contract should help the return
Winnipeg-DeMelo top RD available

50/50
Anaheim-Fluery or Volkov went Fluery because still has potential and there's a lot of bottom 6 wings available
Carolina-Hamilton or Bean if Hamilton will sign then its easy but if he doesn't gotta go with the potential in Bean over a Niederrieter
Chicago-Delia or Subban need a cheap backup, either should do went Subban
LA-Grundstrom or Clague went Grundstrom because went Fluery earlier so going winger this time
Minnesota-Soucy or Kahkonen went Soucy as I think he's a top 4 D and with Driedger as the starter don't want to start a controversy if the backup is better
Nashville-Johansen or Jankrok went Johansen, need a top 6 C which he is, his contract is bad but think he still has something left, Jankrok has been good not sure if he can go any further and the bottom 6 is getting packed
New York-Eberle or Bailey went Bailey, liked his playoffs more the past two years and can play either wing
St. Louis-Tarasenko or Dunn went Tarasenko, need legit talent which he has, injury is a concern, other similar LD available so Dunn is a bit redundant
Toronto-McCann or Dermott went McCann, high end 3C, possibly breaking out, Dermott wouldn't be a top 3 LD

No idea which way to go
Arizona-Gross there's a lot of junk on that roster, Gross is a RD so take the chances he could be one of your top 3
Colorado-Landeskog seems like a no brainer but not sure he'll sign so if he does great if not there's not much else worthwhile
Dallas-Kero Bishop makes too much to be backup, Oleksiak is ok but probably wants too much and there are other LD, Kero is a depth forward maybe trade for a mid pick
Detroit-Stetcher RD which can be a good trade piece on a cheap deal, not a lot to work with otherwise
Edmonton-Khaira rugged 4C, not much else worthwhile
Montreal-Byron don't like the contract but think he would be a good bottom 6 guy, other pieces were too expensive so could be a team that does a side deal
Philadelphia-Van Reimsdyk of the big contracts think his gets the most value, Voracek and Gostisbehere are a bit to inconsistent for the money
Tampa-Foote RD with potential, so many choices it's hard to pick, Gourde seems obvious but concerns if he is a 2C and I have McCann as my cheaper 3C, Palat and Killorn would be great but wing spots are full, get the RD who you hope can be set in the top 4 for years
Vancouver-Gadjovich like his style of game, not a lot of standouts another team possible side deal

Landeskog (8x8) - Johansen - Tarasenko
Van Reimsdyk - Domi - Bailey
Tanev - McCann - Byron
Grundstrom - Gambrell - Gauthier
Gadjovich, Khaira, Merkley

Soucy - DeMelo
Lauzon - Foote
Bean - Borgen
Fluery, Gross

Driedger (3x3.5)
Subban
Daccord

Trade Giordano 50% retained for best offer, 2021 1st or two 2nd's
Trade Vanacek for best offer, 2nd + 3rd
Trade Stetcher + 5th for 3rd
Trade Kero for 4th

Reactions: The Marquis

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Here's mine. This is by far the most expensive one I've done up to now. Not likely, but fun. Also not attempting to predict side deals, of which there will undoubtedly be at least a couple. Included 2 UFAs that I believe should be priorities, but obviously very unlikely to happen.

Landeskog - Domi - Voracek
Tanev - Gourde - Dadonov
Donato - Jarnkrok - Appleton
Bellows - Kerfoot - Blackwell

Fischer, MacEwen, Bastian, Benson, L'Esperance

Giordano - Hamilton
Dunn - Zadorov
Fluery - Stecher

Kulak, Lauzon, Borgen, Clague

Dreidger
Vanecek

Kahkonen

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In ways it might be over the top for a proposal, but I think it's ideal considering Johnson's contract tried to be moved multiple times, the only way Johnson moves is to a low-taxed state. Plus he's from Washington.

Yes he was waived twice. Once was to get him to expand his NTC list which he did but no deal could be found and after Kucherov LTIR we didn't need to trade him. The other was to get under the cap to start the year. Johnson has to submit a 20 team trade list, there will be plenty of teams that are not low tax states on there so not sure why that matters? Yes he's from Spokane so he probably would be ok with going back but that doesn't mean we pay through the nose.

We can easily move Palat and Killorn for assets, keep Johnson who was great in the playoffs and be under the cap. You can select Gourde and then we can explore trading Johnson if the ask isn't ridiculous like this one or one of Palat or Killorn. There's plenty of options but being held over a barrel isn't one of them.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Nordekes

Feb 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
My best attempt as of now, after scrapping several versions. This is moreso based on fit and the type of team I would enjoy watching than it is statistically illuminated

JVR - Gourde - Bailey
Drouin - Kerfoot - Donskoi
Tanev - Järnkrok - Appleton
Grundström - Gaudette - Fischer
Extra: Blackwell, Gambrell

Dunn - Subban
Fleury - Clifton
Bean - Stecher
Extra: Borgen

Driedger
Vanecek
Kähkönen

Two-way contracts: Gadjovich, Hanley, Daccord
IR to start year: Klefbom, Domi
Flip: Giordano

Cap hit just under $73M. Subtract my IR, add new contracts for Driedger and a few RFA, notably Dunn

Don't see much room for side deals with these players, but pretty pleased overall. Toughest decisions were Clifton over Lauzon and Donskoi over Landeskog, but I went with who fit over who I preferred. I don't love where I have Dunn slotted - Brenden Dillon would be better there - but I just can't pass on Vanecek at his cap hit. If there is a market for Vitek, I could justify moving him, if not I am delighted to have KK and Daccord as waiver exempt goalies. Probably need to loan one out some place other than Charlotte though...

You've got a fan in Pennsylvania. Go Kraken!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad