Crazy Idea: Let's offer Alfie an Assistant Manager position.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
He really needs to just come home. I'm sure Daniel and Robin could come to an arrangement, especially with the new baby - 24/7 babysitting guaranteed!

=)

I'm sure we can find him a suitable position where he can influence the team and earn a respectable salary for working out whatever ails him - what a boost he would bring to the team.

If Mario can be a player/owner, why can't we hybridize an assistant coach/player. Why are we limited to only 2-3 assistant coaches? What a great way to retire franchise players like Alfie, Phillips and Neil (soon to be). What kind of retirement (3-5 year) contract could the Senators design to lure Alfie back and become the Godfather of the next generation?

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He could even just kind of live in the arena and hang around all the time giving off good vibes and everyone would just always be like "Hey Alfie" and he'd be like "Hey, get one for me tonight" and then they would.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It kinda feels like his playing days are over. If he wants an office position with us, I'm sure the Sens organization would make it happen asap.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Of course... one could also just organize (fund raise) a thousand Sens fans to travel to his home in Detroit with pickets, banners and fanfare chanting "Alfie come home... Alfie come home.... ". :sarcasm:

... Or come up with a much more effective way to communicate the same message.

SteelCitySenator

Jan 4, 2007
Pittsburgh
Pretty sure he's going back to Sweden when he's really done. Didn't he say that? I could be wrong.

At any rate, he's my favorite player ever, but people just need to let it go. He'll go down in history, if he's not in Ottawa it's not like he'll be forgotten

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He really needs to just come home. I'm sure Daniel and Robin could come to an arrangement, especially with the new baby - 24/7 babysitting guaranteed!

=)

I'm sure we can find him a suitable position where he can influence the team and earn a respectable salary for working out whatever ails him - what a boost he would bring to the team.

If Mario can be a player/owner, why can't we hybridize an assistant coach/player. Why are we limited to only 2-3 assistant coaches? What a great way to retire franchise players like Alfie, Phillips and Neil (soon to be). What kind of retirement (3-5 year) contract could the Senators design to lure Alfie back and become the Godfather of the next generation?

Imagine if he rejected it and then took another job with detroit :P Seriously though i think it could be bad optics if he was offered the job and simply didnt want it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
If Alfie could get healthy, maybe we could sign him for the stretch drive mid-season. Even if we have lots of RWers, and he is old. He still led Detroit in scoring last season and he is still Alfie. He could help us on the PP and perhaps give us another scoring line. He could even PK. If he could get healthy, and the Sens seem ready to compete for the playoffs at game 40 or 50... Bring him back.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Alfredsson
Puempel-Lazar-Stone
Michalek-Legwand-Chiasson

That's 4 solid lines. Lots of effective spare forwards. Lots of potential for all 4 lines to be able to score.

Sensation

Apr 27, 2009
Cary, NC
If Alfie could get healthy, maybe we could sign him for the stretch drive mid-season. Even if we have lots of RWers, and he is old. He still led Detroit in scoring last season and he is still Alfie. He could help us on the PP and perhaps give us another scoring line. He could even PK. If he could get healthy, and the Sens seem ready to compete for the playoffs at game 40 or 50... Bring him back.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Alfredsson
Puempel-Lazar-Stone
Michalek-Legwand-Chiasson

That's 4 solid lines. Lots of effective spare forwards. Lots of potential for all 4 lines to be able to score.

If he Alfie were healthy enough to play, he'd be lining up with Detroit.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Let's not. Just let him retire. Honour his number, and be off with him.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This guy decided he didn't want to be part of Ottawa anymore. I'm not mad, but let's stop begging for him back. Looks sad. Let him enjoy Detroit or sweden or wherever and hopefully when he looks back on his legacy he'll wish he never wanted out of Ottawa.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
This guy decided he didn't want to be part of Ottawa anymore. I'm not mad, but let's stop begging for him back. Looks sad. Let him enjoy Detroit or sweden or wherever and hopefully when he looks back on his legacy he'll wish he never wanted out of Ottawa.

The two bolded parts part contradict each other. Greatly.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
The first step to bridging the relationship would probably be give him some scouting job in Sweden.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The two bolded parts part contradict each other. Greatly.

How is it impossible to not be mad, and hope he regrets his decision?

The 2 don't relate.

I'm not mad that some girls are not attracted to me. Doesn't mean I dont hope they were.

I'm not mad that alfredsson is not attracted to Ottawa. Doesn't mean I don't hope he was.

With your logic, its impossible to not be mad that a girl didn't want you, and like it when they regret not having wanted you.

Nice logic.

Last edited:

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
Alfredsson believes he is owed additional money for playing his last season here for $1 million, he claims that the last year was added on for the sole purpose of lowering the cap hit and neither the Senators or himself expected him to play it.

Unless Melnyk is willing to just pay Alfredsson a few extra million to smooth things out then I don't think Alfredsson would be willing to take a job with the team.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
The first step to bridging the relationship would probably be give him some scouting job in Sweden.

I guess that's the crux of it... He's more valuable with the organization than without. What kind of olive branch could we offer? If we made a reasonable retirement offer and he refused, at least we tried.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It sure would be nice to have him as part of the organization

The real question is does he have management chops? Maybe he'd be a better assistant coach?

We are a team looking to make a serious push into contender territory; giving someone an important position for sentimental reasons isn't the way to go about it

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
It's up to Daniel to decide what to do next in his career.
Maybe he'll take up a job with the NHLPA as he was very vocal and
active with that organization.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
How is it impossible to not be mad, and hope he regrets his decision?

The 2 don't relate.

I'm not mad that some girls are not attracted to me. Doesn't mean I dont hope they were.

I'm not mad that alfredsson is not attracted to Ottawa. Doesn't mean I don't hope he was.

With your logic, its impossible to not be mad that a girl didn't want you, and like it when they regret not having wanted you.

Nice logic.

You changed the analogy. The correct analogy would be that you are not mad a girl for not wanting to date you, but you hope that she spends her life regretting that decision.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I guess that's the crux of it... He's more valuable with the organization than without. What kind of olive branch could we offer? If we made a reasonable retirement offer and he refused, at least we tried.

There's always a chance the Sens have made the offer already. I mean, wasn't he in Ottawa during the summer skating with the guys for a while? The team could've easily said, 'hey, when your time in Detroit is done, we have a position in X Dept with your name on it. Just walk in the front door and it's yours.' No law saying they have to have all their business dealings public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad