Speculation: Crawford

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
With the team making such big changes over the summer does it make sense to have an insurance policy for Crawford again this year? He has missed about 30 games over each of the past two seasons and I am still not sure Delia is ready to play 50-60 if needed. What about a 1 year deal for?

Varlamov
Smith
Talbot
McElhinney
Mrazek
Neuvirth
Hutchinson...don't like him but Toronto had him as back up in the playoffs

Guess you could always try and trade if another injury pops up? But I would hate to get behind in the standings and have to claw back into the playoffs

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
With the team making such big changes over the summer does it make sense to have an insurance policy for Crawford again this year? He has missed about 30 games over each of the past two seasons and I am still not sure Delia is ready to play 50-60 if needed. What about a 1 year deal for?

Varlamov
Smith
Talbot
McElhinney
Mrazek
Neuvirth
Hutchinson...don't like him but Toronto had him as back up in the playoffs

Guess you could always try and trade if another injury pops up? But I would hate to get behind in the standings and have to claw back into the playoffs

Speculation?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Varlamov = If he agrees would be fine gamble as 1B and insurance should Crawford get injured
Smith = Absolutely not he is truly trash , Turco at the end of line
Talbot = Wants a chance to start not happening here
McBackup = No thanks given his age and fact he wont have the strong D in front of him he had in Carolina
Mrazek = Wants a job that he is at least 1A in and term ,, Not happening with Crawford here
Neuvirth = Cant stay healthy
Hutcinson = Blows

Reactions: BrianE

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Varlamov = If he agrees would be fine gamble as 1B and insurance should Crawford get injured
Smith = Absolutely not he is truly trash , Turco at the end of line
Talbot = Wants a chance to start not happening here
McBackup = No thanks given his age and fact he wont have the strong D in front of him he had in Carolina
Mrazek = Wants a job that he is at least 1A in and term ,, Not happening with Crawford here
Neuvirth = Cant stay healthy
Hutcinson = Blows

Agree on all fronts.

Reactions: BrianE

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
No, If you need one, you can trade or find one during the season.
IMO, the Hawks are going to roll the dice with Delia, Lankinen, etc. as backup for Crow. I don't know if that's the right strategy with Crow's iffy health situation ... but it is what it is. Is there another Cam Ward willing to make a major discount for 1 year?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Count me in as a guy who does not have faith in our back up position.
I don't see Delia being the answer. maybe Lankinen can be, but I'd have to see him vs. NHL talent in the NHL though,

Should have just signed Khudobin last year when we had the chance, instead of that bum Ward.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Let's not forget our (probably league high, though I haven't looked) 16 b2b games this next season. Blackhawks are gonna have to have someone at least mildly reliable in net for several games this year even without Crow's health being a factor.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
bring Scott Darling back on a 1 year deal.

30 years old. Low mileage goaltender.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Count me in as a guy who does not have faith in our back up position.
I don't see Delia being the answer. maybe Lankinen can be, but I'd have to see him vs. NHL talent in the NHL though,

Should have just signed Khudobin last year when we had the chance, instead of that bum Ward.

How is this team ever going to find their next starter if they don’t play the prospects at the NHL level?

Reactions: Giovi

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Injuries.

I really don't see Delia as an NHL starter. maybe Lankinen is, but i'm not willing to gamble a season on finding out.

Well, they’re on the verge of gambling their second season in a row on Crawford’s health. They will not be able to do much until he is gone. With the expansion draft coming up, teams resigned their backups so there isn’t anyone out there.

I do like the idea you had of signing Lehner though. Give him 3 years, let Crawford walk, then turn the other spot over to Lankinen or Delia and hope they establish themselves before his deal runs out.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well, they’re on the verge of gambling their second season in a row on Crawford’s health. They will not be able to do much until he is gone. With the expansion draft coming up, teams resigned their backups so there isn’t anyone out there.

I do like the idea you had of signing Lehner though. Give him 3 years, let Crawford walk, then turn the other spot over to Lankinen or Delia and hope they establish themselves before his deal runs out.
I'd take a gamble with Cam Talbot, personally. He isn't going to find a spot where he can be a #1, and he has had past success. Worst case he gets beat out by one of the other two goalies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'd take a gamble with Cam Talbot, personally. He isn't going to find a spot where he can be a #1, and he has had past success. Worst case he gets beat out by one of the other two goalies.

I don’t have much confidence in Talbot but understand where you are coming from.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
No...with our new defense we probablyvdpnnotbneed anymore cap allocated to expensive vet goalies... Trust in Lankinen and Delia = cheap for awhile.

We won a Cup with some average goalies so cannot see why we cannot do it with cheap goalies again if required should CC go down.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The only insurance policy there should be for Crawford is some testosterone injections for the 18 pantywaists in front of him who failed to take the opposition to task for letting him get run twice in as many years.

No physical retribution
No scoreboard retribution
No pack mentality whatsoever
That is completely unacceptable and proved the the 'hawks of the past 2 seasons weren't a team, but merely a collection of 19 individuals on the ice.

Other than that let Lankinen, Delia, Nalimov, Peeters, etc. fight it out for the backup slot and then start the transition process.

Reactions: pvr and Rolo

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I put it in roster thread but Panthers don't want to buy out Reimer final 2 years

At 3.4M he is too pricey but if we can get Dale to eat 1M for 2.4M cap hit and get a 3rd round pick it would be great pickup

Reimer struggled last year but has always been capable 1B/backup goalie

Sv pct thru years

10-11 = .921
11-12 = .900
12-13 = .924
13-14 = .911
14-15 = .907
15-16 = .922
16-17 = .920
17-18 = .913
18-19 = .900

Last year the Panthers D was putrid and entire team struggled thru most of year

Would be fine insurance for Crawford injury and provide us a cheap vet to partner with Delia if Crawford retires , walks as FA or isn't brought back by Hawks

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I put it in roster thread but Panthers don't want to buy out Reimer final 2 years

At 3.4M he is too pricey but if we can get Dale to eat 1M for 2.4M cap hit and get a 3rd round pick it would be great pickup

Reimer struggled last year but has always been capable 1B/backup goalie

Sv pct thru years

10-11 = .921
11-12 = .900
12-13 = .924
13-14 = .911
14-15 = .907
15-16 = .922
16-17 = .920
17-18 = .913
18-19 = .900

Last year the Panthers D was putrid and entire team struggled thru most of year

Would be fine insurance for Crawford injury and provide us a cheap vet to partner with Delia if Crawford retires , walks as FA or isn't brought back by Hawks
I followed Reimer a decent amount last year because he was my backup goalie on this boards HFNHL team..I can attest that the entire Panthers board felt he was horrible this year and should not be in the NHL anymore..I thought he had a few decent games from the ones I saw him play, so not sure where their views came from, but every time I stopped in there to see how Reimer was doing, it was ugly..not just 1-2 posters, but nearly most of them..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad