NFL: Crater for Caleb, Bad play for Maye - Bears clinch #1 pick via Panthers and rest of order set

Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
There’s no way the Bears can bring back Fields. Sunday was a tire fire. Packers have found another QB and I’ll tell you this right now, if the Bears decide to stay the course with both Fields and Eberflus they’ll be stuck at the bottom of the division and league for the forseeable future

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There’s no way the Bears can bring back Fields. Sunday was a tire fire. Packers have found another QB and I’ll tell you this right now, if the Bears decide to stay the course with both Fields and Eberflus they’ll be stuck at the bottom of the division and league for the forseeable future
Fields was playing for his job. If the players loved Fields, then they should have done the same. End result was 3 FGs in the game. Fields had Kmet open in the end zone, but rather than lead him to the back of the end zone, he throws the ball right where Kmet is at the front of the goal line, allowing the Packer DB to nearly pick off the pass. Settle for their 3rd FG after that play.

That's a got to have it throw.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The 1st goal is to win the division.

The general thought with NFL is that the team with the best QB is the favourite to win their division.

Beard have never had that and are given a golden opportunity to fix that issue for the next 15 years.

How can trading down for more depth be better than that?
They used that card last year and missed out on Stroud, they can’t afford it again

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pretty bad outcome for the Vikings. Top three teams likely go QB and then #4 and #5 are the potential trade spots. They'll probably be able to jump up there from #11 but Caleb, Maye, and Daniels likely won't be there. Really needed the Cardinals in one of those top three spots. No guarantee there either as they might want Harrison but at least it could've been possible. I hate this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bears keeping Eberflus. Fired OC, QB coach and a couple others.

I think Minny is too far back to trade up. You are looking at something that includes swapping picks and giving up 2025 first and maybe 2026 first or 2026 2nd with another pick or player as well.

If Minny had gotten some players with their double digit picks over the past few years, they'd be in a better position to move up, but they are not.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
In today's NFL you cannot realistically be consistently competitive (in terms of competing for the SB) for years without an elite QB for a variety of reasons. SF is a unicorn, good luck emulating that model in today's cap climate.

Fields and Williams/Maye/Daniels are all maybes when it comes to being an elite QB in the NFL. Fields' floor is much higher since already know he's an actual NFL player, but in what I've seen of him I don't see a guy you can consistently count on to lead you deep in the playoffs. So yeah, he's played a few years, but he's still a huge maybe when it comes to the question of "is he the guy?" and the bottom line to me is that if you're still a "maybe" after 3 years, in today's climate...I don't really think you're truly a "maybe", you're a "no".

Reactions: Voight

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In today's NFL you cannot realistically be consistently competitive (in terms of competing for the SB) for years without an elite QB for a variety of reasons. SF is a unicorn, good luck emulating that model in today's cap climate.

Fields and Williams/Maye/Daniels are all maybes when it comes to being an elite QB in the NFL. Fields' floor is much higher since already know he's an actual NFL player, but in what I've seen of him I don't see a guy you can consistently count on to lead you deep in the playoffs. So yeah, he's played a few years, but he's still a huge maybe when it comes to the question of "is he the guy?" and the bottom line to me is that if you're still a "maybe" after 3 years, in today's climate...I don't really think you're truly a "maybe", you're a "no".

& Fields is going to get paid soon so it will be about impossible in Chicago with Fields

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's going to want to be paid, but has he done anything to deserve more than maybe a 2-3 yr deal?
Is he worth the tag number at $32 mill? On both real money and cap hit? Plus some guys hate to get tagged which then they opt to not sign til the very end and don’t get into camp or get there late like Jacobs did this season and then you blow the year with them. For the teams QB probably not ideal.

Cause if you can’t agree to a deal that is the final option you have before you have to let him walk.

First question though is whether he’s worth the 5th year option at around $20 mill?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's going to want to be paid, but has he done anything to deserve more than maybe a 2-3 yr deal?

He’s going to paid, just look at even all the average at best QB’s.
Just look at Carr/Jones/Geno/Garoppolo, they all get paid

& that SF model currently is build around a QB making less than a million a year

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The date to declare for the draft is coming up on like the 15th of Jan or something. So, will get a final confirmation of which underclassmen are coming out for the draft soon enough.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The date to declare for the draft is coming up on like the 15th of Jan or something. So, will get a final confirmation of which underclassmen are coming out for the draft soon enough.
Williams should learn from the last USC QB who decided to stay in school for an extra year and got rewarded with permanent changes to his throwing shoulder.

You're the #1 pick, there is literally nothing to be gained from not declaring now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I liked Williams a lot to begin with but the more I watch him the more I get a bad feeling about him. Not saying this as a bitter former Panthers fan either. He's just going to be a lot like Trevor Lawrence IMO. Will show flashes of brilliance but ultimately always leaving you wanting more. I like Daniels and Maye more at this point.

Then again I liked Young over Stroud last year so I don't know shit.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Should Rams look at QB in this years draft?

At #20 they are in position to grab potentially Nix, Penix or McCarthy

Stafford is turning 36 yrs old next month and having a successor in place would not be bad idea.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Should Rams look at QB in this years draft?

At #20 they are in position to grab potentially Nix, Penix or McCarthy

Stafford is turning 36 yrs old next month and having a successor in place would not be bad idea.
Penix and Nix likely gone by 20. McCarthy, should remain in school. Doesn't have enough throws in college.

Rams, coming off an excellent draft. Probably need to follow it up with focusing on their needs. I don't see them going for a QB in round 1.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Williams should learn from the last USC QB who decided to stay in school for an extra year and got rewarded with permanent changes to his throwing shoulder.

You're the #1 pick, there is literally nothing to be gained from not declaring now.
Correct.

If you're a slam dunk Top 5 pick, it's generally not worth the risk to stay. I get the being hesitant about the Bears thing, for good reason, but still.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Correct.

If you're a slam dunk Top 5 pick, it's generally not worth the risk to stay. I get the being hesitant about the Bears thing, for good reason, but still.
Can still pull an Eli and demand a trade out. But, be careful of that too, as look what happened with Young when a team traded up for him. Nothing to work with on the team.

Still intrigued to see what Caleb measures in at. List at 6'1 and 215 on the USC website.
Will he pull a Young and not workout, just get measured?
He probably comes in slightly under 6'1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad