Player Discussion Craig Smith

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Always liked him in Nashville.

Fast, hard worker and likes to shoot. Can play up and down the lineup. Very good addition to the top 9.
Agreed. I just hope he is seen as a third line player and not one of our usual mis-cast guys playing a line of two above his capabilities.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Agreed. I just hope he is seen as a third line player and not one of our usual mis-cast guys playing a line of two above his capabilities.
What would Smith have to do in order to not be miscast as a 2nd liner. His points profile say he is absolutely a second line player. Last year he was 169th among forwards for points. By definitions there are 186 second liners in the league. This in a vaccuum puts him on the back end of the second line options. But lets go a little deeper; he is a goal scorer; the vast majority of fans consider goal scoring to be more valuable then assists. On goals he was tied for 100th among forwards last year; this puts him at the top end of second line options presumably players 94-186. My understanding is that he is responsible defensively. So we have a guy, that scores more goals then most second line players. Plays a two way game, and doesn't get as many assists as most 2nd liners.

So when I read statements about being miscast or playing above their abilities, it just sounds like sour grapes to me. Are there any quantitative metrics that support this idea that he is not one of the top 186 forwards in the league?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook and PB37

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What would Campbell have to do in order to not be miscast as a 2nd liner. His points profile say he is absolutely a second line player. Last year he was 169th among forwards for points. By definitions there are 186 second liners in the league. This in a vaccuum puts him on the back end of the second line options. But lets go a little deeper; he is a goal scorer; the vast majority of fans consider goal scoring to be more valuable then assists. On goals he was tied for 100th among forwards last year; this puts him at the top end of second line options presumably players 94-186. My understanding is that he is responsible defensively. So we have a guy, that scores more goals then most second line players. Plays a two way game, and doesn't get as many assists as most 2nd liners.

So when I read statements about being miscast or playing above their abilities, it just sounds like sour grapes to me. Are there any quantitative metrics that support this idea that he is not one of the top 186 forwards in the league?

There is a Sweeney Derangement Syndrome rampant around here which often presents as putting even good moves in the worst possible light so as not to give the guy any credit. There is no known cure for SDS at this time.

Reactions: RoccoF14

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
There is a Sweeney Derangement Syndrome rampant around here which often presents as putting even good moves in the worst possible light so as not to give the guy any credit. There is no known cure for SDS at this time.
I don’t disagree but I still cringed while reading it. I hope the Derangement Syndrome doesn’t become the next spy gate. YUCK.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I caught it even though I've been wearing a mask.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yup. Meet our newest version of Matt Beleskey.
great comparison, one pulled a Bruins jersey over his head after 1 outlier year with what? 21/22 goals

The other will pull a Bruins jersey over his head with 5 twenty + goal seasons who, from all accounts, is pretty consistent as far as being reliable for posting 20+

Good lord:banghead:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
How is smith not a second line player? I don’t get this. How many teams have 20+ goal players who play in all three zones on their third line?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
How is smith not a second line player? I don’t get this. How many teams have 20+ goal players who play in all three zones on their third line?
He is a second line player. Both in Nashville and here. In fact I'd like to see him on Krejci's wing instead of Coyle's.

People are just bitter right now. Sweeney Derangement Syndrome.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Ideally his game is suited well as a very good third line player. He can definitely play second line as well. I think a lot of it will boil down to which line he has chemistry with. The way Bruce rolls his lines out, there likely won't be a huge difference between the middle two lines this season. Just put Smith on the line that he can be most successful with. If there are injuries then he can swap between the two lines. He is a damn solid player and a great addition to the team. Been suggesting the Bs go after him for several years now, so I am thrilled he is here.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
He is a second line player. Both in Nashville and here. In fact I'd like to see him on Krejci's wing instead of Coyle's.

People are just bitter right now. Sweeney Derangement Syndrome.

He's actually been a 4th line player, at least in even strength ice time, the last two years, which was inexplicable to me, considering he was 3rd in goals per game on the team. A real questionable decision by a team that underperformed and struggled to score the last two years. He's going to be a good fit here whether it's on the 2nd or 3rd line.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It should be pointed out that Smith's line had the best "goals for" per 60 mins for the Preds last season, as well as the least goals against per 60 last season. He played primarily with Grimaldi and Bonino. That line generated 48 goals, playing roughly 12-13 mins per night.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Does Smith can play LW, cause if Studnicka play great in the sart of the season maybe with Marchy and Bergy , i think Smith, Krejci, and Pasta could be intriguing line....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad