Player Discussion Craig Smith

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
There's lots to like about Smith. He's fast, he's physical, he brings 100% effort to every shift and he scores 15-20 goals.

I think the problem with Smith is that he's not a natural finisher. He scores because he puts a lot of pucks on net, but it's almost random. He doesn't have a spot he likes to shoot from or a place he likes to put the puck that works well for him. He doesn't bury the great chances any more frequently than the low percentage shots. It's almost like half of the goals he scores are on days where the goalie is a little off... and when the playoffs start the goaltending is that much sharper so his shooting percent gets cut in half.

Fwiw, I think he's going to get 20 again this year because he's in a contract year so if he wants to get signed as a 33 year old next summer he needs to produce. It would be a great year to deal him at the deadline.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There's lots to like about Smith. He's fast, he's physical, he brings 100% effort to every shift and he scores 15-20 goals.

I think the problem with Smith is that he's not a natural finisher. He scores because he puts a lot of pucks on net, but it's almost random. He doesn't have a spot he likes to shoot from or a place he likes to put the puck that works well for him. He doesn't bury the great chances any more frequently than the low percentage shots. It's almost like half of the goals he scores are on days where the goalie is a little off... and when the playoffs start the goaltending is that much sharper so his shooting percent gets cut in half.

Fwiw, I think he's going to get 20 again this year because he's in a contract year so if he wants to get signed as a 33 year old next summer he needs to produce. It would be a great year to deal him at the deadline.

Can't keep guys just because they produce in the regular season.

Your ignoring how this guy is paid to produce (sorry but that's what got him a 3 million dollar a year contract) he's not being paid for his defensive play or toughness.

And when it matters (down the stretch and the playoffs) historically his production vanishes. This year isn't the only year this has happened. And with two teams now. There is a reason for it, it's not random.

I see we are already starting early for next season's whipping boy, eh?

I've been ragging on Smith since the day they signed him. I don't like this player. Appreciate he works hard but I want him gone. Never been a fan of his game.

Reactions: finchster

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I never liked the Craig Smith signing. This guy isn't a playoff performer
GPGAPGPGAPGPPGdifference
Regular season7891912073980.240.260.50
Playoffs69912210.130.170.30-0.20

82 games average
GAP
Regular Season202141
Playoffs111425

He basically performs as well as a good fourth liner or a bottom tier third liner in the playoffs.

If he goes, I won't be upset

Reactions: BruinDust

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
GPGAPGPGAPGPPGdifference

82 games average
GAP
Regular Season202141
Playoffs111425

He basically performs as well as a good fourth liner or a bottom tier third liner in the playoffs.

The thing is he gets almost all his points 5 on 5. Didnt have a great playoff this year, but 5 points in 10 games last year is actually not bad. Again, those 5 were likely 5 on 5 too, where the team sorely needs scoring.

That being said I wouldn't be opposed to moving on to clear the cap space and let some young guys fight for the spot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
GPGAPGPGAPGPPGdifference

82 games average
GAP
Regular Season202141
Playoffs111425

Historically he's good for roughly 20 shots per 7 games series. His shooting % in the playoffs is basically 5%.

So at 3.2 million per you can expect 1 goal per 7 game series.

And that's not even getting into how many of his bad random shots lead to a loss of possession.

I'm not sure how you win cups in a cap system employing players like this.

We all concede he works hard every shift. Effort isn't an issue.

Everything else is.

Goes back to poor pro scouting and talent evaluation. What they shell out for Smith and Foligno is basically your 2nd line C, or legit scoring winger, or another Top 4 D-man.

The thing is he gets almost all his points 5 on 5. Didnt have a great playoff this year, but 5 points in 10 games last year is actually not bad. Again, those 5 were likely 5 on 5 too, where the team sorely needs scoring.

That being said I wouldn't be opposed to moving on to clear the cap space and let some young guys fight for the spot.
He was bad in the playoffs for Nashville too.

He gets all his points at 5 on 5 because he has too.

People ignore the fact none of his coaches seem to want him on their top unit PP, nor do they want him near their penalty killing groups.

The fact he has to make all his money at even strength is a knock on him not a compliment.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
All I read on here is trade Foligno, Forbort, Reilly, Grzelcyk, Debrusk, and now add Smith to the list.

Can we realistically have that much turnover?
Not realistically able to move all of them. However, if Bergy decides to retire then the bruins should try and move as many guys on short term deals who won’t be on this team in 2-3 as possible and get as many assets for them as they can by the trade deadline.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yesterday was the best game I have seen him play this season

The roadrunner version

Similar trend from last season....

Slow start and then revvs it up. Would be awesome to him get it going/pot some goals

Reactions: Aeroforce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad