Player Discussion Craig Smith

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You wont be disappointed in Smith at that price point. Hes streaky, so be prepared for him to go a month without scoring then score 5 in 4 games.... at the end of the year you'll look at his stats and think "ok, good year" but during his cold spells you'll understand why we called him the unpolishable Turd.

(That said would have happily taken him back on the Preds with that contract)

Take care of him, he will be missed in Nashville
Streaky?? You wanna talk streaky? We have a shit load of streaky already so his 20-25 goals beats the crap out of our other streaky players. Thanks for the info though and BTW: Welcome.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Here's some comments I got from some really nice Nashville fans when I asked what type of player Smith was:

*He was on the 2nd line but got shuffled to the 3rd line last year. He's not a huge special teams guy, but can play some PP. He's a hard working forward who'll go in the corners, dig out pucks, win battles, and isn't afraid of the front of the net. He's a streaky scorer, but he does score. You got a solid, standup mid-6 RW

*Smitty is a great player that we're going to miss IMO. First and foremost, he shoots. He pulls the trigger a lot, and he's really good about making sure the team is oriented towards the net while in the o-zone. Smith can go into the corners and fight for pucks about as well as anyone, and his puck retrieval skills will be missed for sure. He plays PP too, normally as a shooter/net front kind of guy. Although Smith has never PK'ed as far as I can remember.

Also, he has pretty much only ever played RW for us, barring a few short stints on LW. He does not play center at all.

He was on our 3rd line last year with Bonino and Grimaldi, but they were our best line by a good margin. Put him with a good center (which he has lacked for most of his career) and I see him in the 40-50 point range easy.

*Second liner who can fight for pucks when he wants .... consistently scores 20+ but will then frustrate entire fanbases by missing wide open nets from less than three feet away ... never came through in the post season after all of those 20+ goal regular seasons.

*Great regular season player, battles hard most of the time and is absolutely a shoot first kind of guy. Will score 4 goals in 4 nights and then can’t hit the net for the next 4. When he’s on he’s a legit 2nd line player. Not exactly a skilled special teams guy, he does most of his scoring at even strength and he’s responsible defensively.

*Overall, expect 20-25 goals depending on who he plays with, solid compete effort and good defensive play. He’s often frustrated fans in the playoffs in Nashville but regardless, at 3.1 million, an excellent signing.

*Most important thing, they call him Crazy Legs

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
We need goal scoring depth. Smith is usually good for 20 goals and is 19th among all rw'ers in ES goals over the past three seasons - an area we struggle in mightly if Perfection isn't out on the ice. Plays a hard, two way game. Helps the 2nd unit PP as well as a being able to be a regular on the PK. Not a banger but he isn't shy about getting to the net, going to the walls, using his body to win puck battles. Good size and above average wheels + motor. He's just a solid, all around winger.

Just to let you know; I was talking to a few members on the Nashville board. A couple guys told me he's never on the Penalty Kill.. BUT everything else you posted is same as they said..

The vast majority said Preds would of paid that and they wish they did..They think Boston got an excellent deal and he should be successful in Beantown..

Many cheers PB37, hope you and your family remain to stay safe during those troubling times.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Here's some comments I got from some really nice Nashville fans when I asked what type of player Smith was:

*He was on the 2nd line but got shuffled to the 3rd line last year. He's not a huge special teams guy, but can play some PP. He's a hard working forward who'll go in the corners, dig out pucks, win battles, and isn't afraid of the front of the net. He's a streaky scorer, but he does score. You got a solid, standup mid-6 RW

*Smitty is a great player that we're going to miss IMO. First and foremost, he shoots. He pulls the trigger a lot, and he's really good about making sure the team is oriented towards the net while in the o-zone. Smith can go into the corners and fight for pucks about as well as anyone, and his puck retrieval skills will be missed for sure. He plays PP too, normally as a shooter/net front kind of guy. Although Smith has never PK'ed as far as I can remember.

Also, he has pretty much only ever played RW for us, barring a few short stints on LW. He does not play center at all.

He was on our 3rd line last year with Bonino and Grimaldi, but they were our best line by a good margin. Put him with a good center (which he has lacked for most of his career) and I see him in the 40-50 point range easy.

*Second liner who can fight for pucks when he wants .... consistently scores 20+ but will then frustrate entire fanbases by missing wide open nets from less than three feet away ... never came through in the post season after all of those 20+ goal regular seasons.

*Great regular season player, battles hard most of the time and is absolutely a shoot first kind of guy. Will score 4 goals in 4 nights and then can’t hit the net for the next 4. When he’s on he’s a legit 2nd line player. Not exactly a skilled special teams guy, he does most of his scoring at even strength and he’s responsible defensively.

*Overall, expect 20-25 goals depending on who he plays with, solid compete effort and good defensive play. He’s often frustrated fans in the playoffs in Nashville but regardless, at 3.1 million, an excellent signing.

*Most important thing, they call him Crazy Legs

A winger that actually shoots a lot? I love this guy already! :nod:

Hi @nfld77 haven't seen you around in awhile, good to see you posting!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Smith is a really good add. As most have said, shouldn't be the only add up front, but his contract is excellent value so no problems there. He excels 5v5, so major tick for that. I think he's good enough to play 2RW, provided he has the right linemates, but I really hope they put him on Coyle's right. They should compliment each other very very well - both solid, strong, hustling, 200-foot players who will dominate possession, be very strong defensively, and can generate good scoring opportunities. Coyle needs and deserves someone who can finish what he's setting up, and Smith can be that guy. Of course, I'd love that line to be DeBrusk-Coyle-Smith and then you really have some offensive firepower, but that requires a couple more pieces to fall into place...

Reactions: nfld77 and Gordoff

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
You watch Vegas what about Schmidt

Would be a good partner for Charlie. He wouldn't be my first choice to trade from Vegas. Not as good as his first season, but still can play on the top pair. McNabb as his partner has been more of an issue.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Smith does like to shoot. (as does Kase)

Shots per 60 at 5v5 over the last 3 seasons:
  1. Smith - 11.08
  2. Kase - 10.48
  3. Bergeron - 9.79
  4. Pastrnak - 9.33
  5. DeBrusk - 8.68
  6. Kuhlman - 8.23
  7. Kuraly - 7.98
  8. Marchand - 7.91
  9. Coyle - 7.13

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
A winger that actually shoots a lot? I love this guy already! :nod:

Hi @nfld77 haven't seen you around in awhile, good to see you posting!

Always enjoy reading everyone's comments here..Would love to be able to post more but I've been pretty sick the past while but Thank God, coming around a little.. Always enjoy your posts BMC, you bring alot to the table with your knowledge of our great game..

Hoping you and your family are all doing well..

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland

1. Smith - 11.08
  2. Kase - 10.48
  3. Bergeron - 9.79
  4. Pastrnak - 9.33
  5. DeBrusk - 8.68
  6. Kuhlman - 8.23
  7. Kuraly - 7.98
  8. Marchand - 7.91
  9. Coyle - 7.13

I read somewhere today that Smith is something like 11th or 15th in the entire league in Shooting%..This gut really likes to shoot the puck so could be a fit for Krejci..I guess it all depends on what our final roster looks like..

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I read somewhere today that Smith is something like 11th or 15th in the entire league in Shooting%..This gut really likes to shoot the puck so could be a fit for Krejci..I guess it all depends on what our final roster looks like..
His shooting pct is usually around 10%, so he's not even close to 11th or 15th. He does like to shoot though, so that will create more opportunities for rebounds, as opposed to too many guys on the team passing it around looking for the perfect shot.

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Always enjoy reading everyone's comments here..Would love to be able to post more but I've been pretty sick the past while but Thank God, coming around a little.. Always enjoy your posts BMC, you bring alot to the table with your knowledge of our great game..

Hoping you and your family are all doing well..

I'm glad you're starting to feel better and thank you :)

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Neither do I. My gut tells me they don't want him back. I think they know he wants to continue playing, and they are hoping either some team makes it easier by signing him away, or he changes his mind and retires.

I've said this before, there are only so many roster spots. And it looks pretty crowded now. I don't think they spent 5 years developing Zboril just to waive him. Senyshyn as well to a lesser degree. Even now, guys like Studnicka, Vaak, and Frederic look to be in tough to make the team out of training camp simply by the fact they don't need waivers to be demoted. (assuming the AHL even goes ahead).

I find it really tough talking about Chara. He's been such an important part of the team for so long, well we all knew this day was coming. Biggest place he'll be missed, whenever that time comes, is in the dressing room..And regardless of his limits due to his age, he's still a great penalty killer, and that long reach comes in handy all the time..

Donny likely knows he can sign chara for maybe league minimun or maybe 1.5 mil, whatever, but thats not the problem..It's TIME NOW to see about the kids..

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I find it really tough talking about Chara. He's been such an important part of the team for so long, well we all knew this day was coming. Biggest place he'll be missed, whenever that time comes, is in the dressing room..And regardless of his limits due to his age, he's still a great penalty killer, and that long reach comes in handy all the time..

Donny likely knows he can sign chara for maybe league minimun or maybe 1.5 mil, whatever, but thats not the problem..It's TIME NOW to see about the kids..

I agree and disagree.

I want Zboril, Lauzon and Clifton on the team. Vaak needs another year in the AHL.

But given the choice between Chara vs. Moore or Miller, I'll take Chara any day of the week and twice on Sundays, even at 43.

BruinsNetwork

1. Smith - 11.08
  2. Kase - 10.48
  3. Bergeron - 9.79
  4. Pastrnak - 9.33
  5. DeBrusk - 8.68
  6. Kuhlman - 8.23
  7. Kuraly - 7.98
  8. Marchand - 7.91
  9. Coyle - 7.13

Smith is an absolute rockstar and will be a fan favorite in no time. All gas, no brakes.

Reactions: bme44 and Gordoff

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA

Smith's actual shooting% is on the low side. 9.39% over the last 3 seasons at 5v5. That would rank him 11th just on the Bruins roster alone.

With the amount of shots that Smith takes, if he converted at an elite level, he'd average close to 35 goals per season.

This isn't necessarily a knock on the player. I'm just stating that his shot volume is now the highest on the team.

Reactions: Gordoff and nfld77

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I agree and disagree.

I want Zboril, Lauzon and Clifton on the team. Vaak needs another year in the AHL.

But given the choice between Chara vs. Moore or Miller, I'll take Chara any day of the week and twice on Sundays, even at 43.

Lol, I'm not sure what I posted that you disagree with cause I agree with everything you said.... maybe when I mentioned about DS not resigning Chara..

Thing is, I also prefer Chara over those guys and even more..I just DONT THINK they'll resign him BUT I hope they give him another year..

I was hoping Vaak would be ready for this season but if he needs another yr in minors AND Zboril becomes a regular, I would be happy..

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lol, I'm not sure what I posted that you disagree with cause I agree with everything you said.... maybe when I mentioned about DS not resigning Chara..

Thing is, I also prefer Chara over those guys and even more..I just DONT THINK they'll resign him BUT I hope they give him another year..

I was hoping Vaak would be ready for this season but if he needs another yr in minors AND Zboril becomes a regular, I would be happy..

I thought you said you didn't want Chara back. Maybe I misread it.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Something else to consider is that Smith has not exactly been playing with set linemates, or even at a set position. He gets rotated between center and RW. He spent quite a few games centering Turris, who was lackluster this past season, and Grimaldi, as well as a cast of others. He has played RW mainly when he has been used in the top 6, where he has looked more dangerous. I think if he gets time to develop chemistry with a line, then he will be even more effective than he has been the past couple seasons.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Something else to consider is that Smith has not exactly been playing with set linemates, or even at a set position. He gets rotated between center and RW. He spent quite a few games centering Turris, who was lackluster this past season, and Grimaldi, as well as a cast of others. He has played RW mainly when he has been used in the top 6, where he has looked more dangerous. I think if he gets time to develop chemistry with a line, then he will be even more effective than he has been the past couple seasons.
We'll hope for the best. I assume he will be on Coyles line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad