Player Discussion Craig Smith

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Craig Smith answers call, ready to take a shot with Bruins - The Boston Globe

Craig Smith
doesn’t personally know anyone on the Bruins. That will soon change.
The career-long Predators winger signed a three-year, $9.3 million deal Saturday to join the forward ranks in Boston. A phone chat with Patrice Bergeron helped sell him on the move.
“As a player,” Smith said in a Zoom call, “it’s definitely attractive to hear a guy talk about his team like that and how much passion he has for his city and the love he has for his teammates. That’s something I want to be a part of.”
The money works out nicely for Boston, which had work left to do as of Saturday afternoon. Smith was making $4.25 million a year last season as a third-liner in Nashville, but will cost the Bruins' cap $3.1 million, good value for a perennial 20-goal scorer.

Boston, both franchise and location, appealed to him.
“The city has a big part to do with it,” he said. “My wife is in love with Boston and I’ve always had a soft side for it so that definitely checked it.”

Count Smith as a believer in the roster as it stands.
“When we play Boston, that’s a team that just has my full attention with that first line with [David] Pastrnak,” he said. “That was one of the best lines that I think I’ve ever played against.”

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Craig Smith answers call, ready to take a shot with Bruins - The Boston Globe

Craig Smith
doesn’t personally know anyone on the Bruins. That will soon change.
The career-long Predators winger signed a three-year, $9.3 million deal Saturday to join the forward ranks in Boston. A phone chat with Patrice Bergeron helped sell him on the move.
“As a player,” Smith said in a Zoom call, “it’s definitely attractive to hear a guy talk about his team like that and how much passion he has for his city and the love he has for his teammates. That’s something I want to be a part of.”
The money works out nicely for Boston, which had work left to do as of Saturday afternoon. Smith was making $4.25 million a year last season as a third-liner in Nashville, but will cost the Bruins' cap $3.1 million, good value for a perennial 20-goal scorer.

Boston, both franchise and location, appealed to him.
“The city has a big part to do with it,” he said. “My wife is in love with Boston and I’ve always had a soft side for it so that definitely checked it.”

Count Smith as a believer in the roster as it stands.
“When we play Boston, that’s a team that just has my full attention with that first line with [David] Pastrnak,” he said. “That was one of the best lines that I think I’ve ever played against.”
Which I why I pray Bergy makes a call to Hall.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
An obvious upgrade from the AHL borderline NHL players that have been infiltrating our 2nd and 3rd lines.

Decent size 6' 1", goes in the dirty areas and adjusts nicely without the puck into the shooting zones.

Main thing is he likes to shoot.
He has Coyle line written all over him and I can see him Charlie C and him compliment one another.

A 20-25 goal scorer for most of his career and we are getting him for 3.1 per year is a steal as the leafs generally pay their 20 goal scorers 7 million.

Sweeney pulled a rabbit out of his ass on this one.
Good move.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
My
Im not sure he’s playing third line with Coyle. Unless Krejci is demoted and Coyle is your 2nd line center (but no point doing this right now). In a perfect world that’s where he is but as of right now, Smith is your clear cut 2nd best RW.

My thinking is Sweeney is going to see how Debrusk Krecji and Kase continue to look as they looked great against Carolina but lost steam against TB.

Smith gives Cassidy some options though.

What's the famous line " we are evaluating"

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
OK, this signing of Smith is a start, but we need more offense. We need to keep Rask IMO without him; then, we need to build a better defense, tougher, stronger, and more significant.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Smith was a great start.

Would love to see a middle 6 left winger with some bite, either in physical play or shooting prowess or a combination of both. I want to like Bjork but... i just don't know if he can bust out from the cocoon of jag status.

I want to see a DeBrusk -- Coyle -- Smith third line, with another 20-25 goal scoring left wing come in on Krejci's line. I think they'll roll the dice on Kase, main reasons being cost and skill are there. A full season with Krejci could do wonders for his career.

I also want a top 4 LD come in to play with McAvoy and for Lauzon to asscend to 2nd pairing with Carlo. I want the top pairing to be a two way threat while the 2nd pairing being a smothering and physical shutdown combo.

Grz, who i love as a player, should be on the 3rd pairing.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Consistent Craig Smith: Dependability is the hallmark of new Bruins right wing

“He wants to be throttle down and play with his hair on fire,” said ex-Bruin Hal Gill, now Nashville’s radio analyst. “That’s what he’s made himself into. Heavy on the forecheck. Always grinding. Always moving his legs. Always pushing the pace. He’s streaky. When he gets hot, he is lights out. When he gets dialed in and starts picking corners, there’s a difference in his shot when he gets into that method. He’s finding corners and he’s drilling them.”

“I don’t want to say this as demeaning, but he’s simple. He’s a simple guy,” Gill said. “You don’t need to play the tricks with him. You just tell him what you want. He’ll go and get it. A good Wisconsin boy.”

So if you can trust Hal Gill, I think we will like our new winger.

When he's on a hot streak, at least. :laugh:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I want to see him on a line with Krejci. If you look at his whole career, he's never played with a center as good as Krejci. He put up 25 goals with Kyle Turris and Bonino.

He's like the opposite of Krejci -- the good winger who always has a mediocre centre.

Reactions: Kalus

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
still a fan of this signing, but pretty bummed that he was the only real addition. Would have been a big piece in 2019-20 for that run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad