OT: Craig Morgan’s AZ Coyotes Insider Discussion.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Morgan was late again on all of the Mitchell news. He takes too long to check his sources on breaking news.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Morgan was late again on all of the Mitchell news. He takes too long to check his sources on breaking news.
He made a choice on the Miller piece. He was way ahead of Harris. Morgan wanted to avoid being the disgusting slime that is Harris.

I honestly wish I could take back everything Miller did to IMC and have it down to Harris instead.

f***. Craig. Harris.

I’ll literally fight him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Speaking of media beef, anyone know why Rich Morin refuses to reference Craig Morgan, Natty Hatty or the AZCI by name? What’s his beef with Craig?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Morgan was recording a Natural Hattrick podcast when the news broke. Said as much on Twitter. Once he finished that he got into the story.

Echoing @rt 's comment about Craig Harris. Go back and watch the introductory press conference for Xavier Gutierrez and see what Harris did there, then go read the article he wrote about it right after. At the presser he was all Zoom chummy, and acting like part of the boys club. Then afterwards brought out the knives for his article and ripped the club with a lot of smarminess thrown in.

He went on Rich Morin's podcast not long ago and Rich was pumping it on Twitter as Harris having all the info on what happened with Chayka. Harris didn't add anything we didn't know already and stumbled though the whole session, only added what HE thought happened based on heresay around the franchise..

I'd rather see a reporter take a little more time and get a complete story than shoot from the hip.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Speaking of media beef, anyone know why Rich Morin refuses to reference Craig Morgan, Natty Hatty or the AZCI by name? What’s his beef with Craig?
Probably because Morin never did any original reporting of his own

Reactions: AZviaNJ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Probably because Morin never did any original reporting of his own

Not true... he had a few pieces with AZR that were pretty good.

What I’m not getting is he left the Republic and supposedly went back home to New England. But he’s still keeping his LoCoyotes podcast gig going.

Might as well go write for Eklund.

rt

May 13, 2004
Not true... he had a few pieces with AZR that were pretty good.

What I’m not getting is he left the Republic and supposedly went back home to New England. But he’s still keeping his LoCoyotes podcast gig going.

Might as well go write for Eklund.
Is it Morin that only started to even watch hockey during the Tippett era of the Coyotes? I’m pretty sure it was.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
AZ Republic salary must be pretty trash to just leave the job and start a podcast.

He originally got furloughed.

AZR is owned by Gannett. Enough said.

The move back to the east coast was his choice. *IF* he actually went.

@rt ....

I don’t remember what he did before he got the Coyotes gig. AZR seems to be mining kids fresh out of Cronkite these days. Young and cheap.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
When Morin first started at AZCentral/Republic he seemed to mostly only do Coyotes coverage. But as time went on he got put on more and more beats (probably for the same pay). Seemed like a shitty gig TBH.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
AZ Republic salary must be pretty trash to just leave the job and start a podcast.
The Arizona Republic was a place you went to cut your journalism teeth before moving onto better things. This was when journalism was still a real thing. Must be even worse now. I have known a few people there over the last decade. Definitely not a place where your bring home the bacon.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Athletic is now running a subscription promo of 75 cents a month. Basically free.

Part of my reason for cancelling was the pricing model. My rate was wayyy higher than that. I realize every company gives promos to new clients but The Athletic churns out promos at an absurd rate.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The Athletic is now running a subscription promo of 75 cents a month. Basically free.

Part of my reason for cancelling was the pricing model. My rate was wayyy higher than that. I realize every company gives promos to new clients but The Athletic churns out promos at an absurd rate.
My subscription ends soon, but if that's the rate I may actually re-subscribe. I used to read it every day while they had Coyotes' coverage, but now it's mostly just one line mentions of the team among a list of the whole league and the story gets highlighted as about them, or at best, some one who is not an insider has been tasked with writing a story on them to help promote their façade that they cover the team.

I realize the pandemic occurred and stories are just harder to come by too, but it's hard to argue for subscribing in the midst of a hiatus in every sport. I don't think they are going to rehire authors for the teams they let go once things settle back down either, the articles I've seen about their profitability aren't peachy enough to make me think they could carry very many small markets. That's most unfortunate since those markets are already the most underserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad