OT: Craig Cunningham walking after leg amputation

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Craig Cunningham to take on role with Arizona Coyotes as recovery continues

And his relationship with the team is expected to continue even though he’s no longer a player.

Tippett said Cunningham will stay connected to the organization, and the team has talked about him taking on a new role in coaching, scouting or development with the choice up to Cunningham, who said he’d like to start scouting.

“Hockey’s been my whole life since I was 3 years old,†he said. “To say I miss it every single minute of every day is probably an understatement. It just gives me an opportunity to stay in the game and hopefully give back and help an organization that has been incredible to me.â€

But Cunningham isn’t wanting to just help the Coyotes.

He’s aware of the inspiration he can provide to other amputees, an opportunity he’s embracing.

“It’ll slow you down, but it won’t stop you kind of thing,†Cunningham said. “I wasn’t really sure how things were going to play out for me when I was in the hospital. I had some dark nights where you’re thinking, ‘What’s next?’ But I’ve had an incredible amount of support from people, and they’ve kind of pushed me forward to do things. Now I’m getting back to pushing mysel.â€

Glad to see he'll still be with the organization. :)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
All I have to say is that the Arizona organization has gained a newfound respect from me, what a class-act throughout Craig's rehabilitation process as well as giving him a secure future in the hockey world going forward. I don't know how many other teams would give him this support.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
News story on azcentral stated that the Coyotes offered him a position with the organization, and really up to him what he wants to do. I love this story more and more. Puts things into perspective.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
News story on azcentral stated that the Coyotes offered him a position with the organization, and really up to him what he wants to do. I love this story more and more. Puts things into perspective.

He mentioned in one of the interviews that he plans to start as a scout

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1