OT: Craig Cunningham walking after leg amputation

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Cunny lost the lower part of the leg because the procedure that saved his life required diverting blood flow from the leg to the external heart/lung device. Taking the blood flow away from the leg opened the possibility of permanent damage to the leg up to and including amputation. It was a known risk and Cunningham's mother was advised of it before she agreed to the procedure.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Happy to hear he's still in good spirits. One of the things I felt like when I watched the original press conference with him and all the doctors was his realization that hey, I'm still alive. Saw him smiling in the video. He's a hockey player for crying out loud, he'll be just fine after learning how to walk on that.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I wonder if you can skate with a prosthetic attachment. I mean, when you lace up a skate you don't want any ankle movement anyway. That would be an absolutely amazing story if he was still able to play the sport, recreationally, after all this.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wonder if you can skate with a prosthetic attachment. I mean, when you lace up a skate you don't want any ankle movement anyway. That would be an absolutely amazing story if he was still able to play the sport, recreationally, after all this.

My first thought was sled hockey, I watched it last paralypics, they go hard. I think you're right though he'd probably just need a prosthetic attachment. Either way I agree him getting on the ice again would be amazing.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Yes, you can - depends on where on the leg the amputation starts, but at the very least he can get back on the ice and be mobile with a prosthetic. Hell, a guy summited Mt. Everest with prosthetics on both legs from the knee down - I'm pretty sure Cunny's got a great shot at beer league... ;)

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Yes, you can - depends on where on the leg the amputation starts, but at the very least he can get back on the ice and be mobile with a prosthetic. Hell, a guy summited Mt. Everest with prosthetics on both legs from the knee down - I'm pretty sure Cunny's got a great shot at beer league... ;)

Based on the gif it looks like he had a fairly low BKA (Below knee amputation). I bet he would only be limited by his cardiovascular issues from playing high level hockey.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You definately have ankle flex in a laced up skate or you fall over every time someone nudged you.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Barely a week later.....

Having once spent a year recovering from a freeway head on collision (4 months of it just getting back on my feet) this is phenomenal.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Director of Player Development, who couldn't get motivated with this guy in their corner.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Obviously has something going on in his boot, bc he removed his prosthesis. Very cool. Good for him. Maybe he can be an assistant coach eventually. Or an outreach guy.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Awesome to see. I wonder if they can give him a shift in one of the last regular season games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad