Craig Cunningham collapses on ice -upd career over but will survive

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
So happy for Craig! This is great news.

I suffered a sudden heart attack (due to arterial blockage) at age 33 in 2005. Was also in great shape (former hockey player), and had zero prior cardiac history. Over the course of a few days could not breathe well with increasing chest discomfort. Thought it was indigestion. Collapsed suddenly and was rushed to the same hospital Craig is now at, they did surgery and placed stents in the artery.

UMC Hospital is one of the best cardiac hospitals in the Southwest US, great staff and excellent doctors. They saved my life, and have now saved Craig's as well. Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery and a path to a productive life after hockey.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
So happy for Craig! This is great news.

I suffered a sudden heart attack (due to arterial blockage) at age 33 in 2005. Was also in great shape (former hockey player), and had zero prior cardiac history. Over the course of a few days could not breathe well with increasing chest discomfort. Thought it was indigestion. Collapsed suddenly and was rushed to the same hospital Craig is now at, they did surgery and placed stents in the artery.

UMC Hospital is one of the best cardiac hospitals in the Southwest US, great staff and excellent doctors. They saved my life, and have now saved Craig's as well. Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery and a path to a productive life after hockey.

Great to hear it went well! Been there too under the age of 40 (well, of course in a different hospital). Medical staff and doctors are something else.. Working in high pressure situations, through days and nights.

So happy to hear these news of Cunningham. It sounds that he's condition was very severe, it took quite a long time to recover.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Simply awesome to hear. It's incredibly unfortunate what happened, but at least he's going to be able to lead a normal life. Excellent Christmas present for he and his family.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Blows my mind when these things happen. These guys are physical specimens yet this stuff still happens? How long did he stop breathing for? Gotta hope there's no brain damage(or worse)

I think that is exactly why this kind of thing happens so often. They can't regenerate their bodies, possibly do some performance enhancing stuff (or did when they were younger) and never have time to really recuperate from infections and other diseases.

I think professional athletes are more endangered than many others. Obviously this also applies to other jobs where you can't take a day off.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Really amazing reading those stories about how grave his condition was and the efforts they went to to save him. This could have so easily been a tragic story. Glad to hear he's on track for release and I wish him the best of luck with whatever direction his life takes now.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
HOCM or Long QT, but they probably won't give out an underlying diagnosis. Also good for him for making it through and the incredible team that made it happen. Seeing him in the locker room almost brought the wispy eyes out.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Man this is rough - and you can tell he's physically struggling in the video. All the best to him.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
thats horrible man. I wonder what his real condition was.

Like mentioned above, underlying cardiac that likely just stopped his heart. With mass amounts of drugs to just keep him alive... Likely lost his leg due to his lack of heart function and need for vasoconstricrive medications (seen it happen at work many times... and what he went through is what we see fairly regularly... sadly).

It is great to see him up and getting rehab. While he won't play hockey, he's with it (brain wise) and can fight through and live a really normal life. Which is great for him and his family

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Like mentioned above, underlying cardiac that likely just stopped his heart. With mass amounts of drugs to just keep him alive... Likely lost his leg due to his lack of heart function and need for vasoconstricrive medications (seen it happen at work many times... and what he went through is what we see fairly regularly... sadly).

It is great to see him up and getting rehab. While he won't play hockey, he's with it (brain wise) and can fight through and live a really normal life. Which is great for him and his family
Yes, it couldn't have been much worse. So we should just focus on the positives here.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yes, it couldn't have been much worse. So we should just focus on the positives here.

Honestly it's a miracle he's not dead or severely neurologically injured. An absolute miracle. Great work by those people doing compressions and the hospitals for putting him on life saving machines in a timely fashion

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I had not heard that his lower leg had to be amputated. That is extremely disheartening.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I read only little bit of this thread but I bet Craig loved to eat pizza. When everything made of milk oxidize, cholesterol arise. Oxidation is stronger when the milk product has a big surface like milk powder, powder has a much bigger surface, or when the milk product is heated like cheese in pizza. This cholesterol clogs the blood ways. If the heart doesn't get enough blood it won't get oxygen transported with the blood too resulting in a heart attack of the heart muscle.
Better not to eat cheese, pizza and everything made with milk powder.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
I read only little bit of this thread but I bet Craig loved to eat pizza. When everything made of milk oxidize, cholesterol arise. Oxidation is stronger when the milk product has a big surface like milk powder, powder has a much bigger surface, or when the milk product is heated like cheese in pizza. This cholesterol clogs the blood ways. If the heart doesn't get enough blood it won't get oxygen transported with the blood too resulting in a heart attack of the heart muscle.
Better not to eat cheese, pizza and everything made with milk powder.

You a medical expert, eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad