Craig Button's Top 50 Affiliated Prospects List (2024)

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Be funny to find out Button was playing you like fiddles every year just to troll. Every year same thing. Every year X player is too high or too low and 5 years on they're selling cars for dad. No one, not Button, not the Hockey News, definitely not Pronman or Wheeler, and definitely no one here has ever been close. Go back and look at the arguments that took place and look where those players are now. No where

Reactions: Mach85 and Static

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
He's the 4th rated player on his own hockey team, and he leads the whole NCAA in points. You don't see how thats disrespectful?

If you were to say Kucherov is the fourth best player on the Lightning, would that be viewed as disrespectful to him?
Newhook led Boldy in scoring their freshman year by a significant margin, how'd that work out? Smith is the better prospect longterm.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Button always puts a few "out-there" placements in his rankings. Nothing new. It's the schtick. It's to generate clicks and conversation.

It has nothing to do with "clicks", it's simply how he views the players.

People on here would never recover from the state of shock if they saw how each team in the league ranked a lot of these same players.

They're always nothing even remotely close to the "consensus"

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I know, lists like that are very subjective, but one thing stands out: Dmitry Simashev, what has he done to jump ahead of Edvinsson, Jiricek and Reinbacher? I see no rational explanation
ASP ahead of them is also strange, but at least, ASP is having a great season

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Two Canucks in the top 10! It’s a great list! Lol.
But you can see why the Canucks were saying that Willander and Lekkerimaki were virtually untouchable. Both guys have really raised their stock especially Lekkerimaki after a disappointing year last year.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
He's ahead of Smith by 2 points, and Smith/Leonard have always been seen as the higher ranked/more projectable. Not like he's dominating to some extent that he needs to be ranked higher by Craig Button.

Either way, it's Craig Button who always does weird stuff.

The cosmic flaw with rankings.

Player X was once ranked higher, which means that even when player Y performs better, Player X still stays on top because 'well, he was once rated high, so he still is high now'.

If they were all ranked/seen/scouted for the first time today, there is no justification for Smith/Leonard to be ahead of GP.

The rankings aren't based entirely on points. GP having the most points in the NCAA doesn't ensure that he will be the best player at the next level. It's not hard to understand.

Suggesting that GP is being disrespected is laughable. He was selected 23rd overall in his draft and is now ranked 7th overall among all drafted prospects. That's a sign of the respect that Button has for his game. There's no reason to take it personally that his BC teammates are ranked slightly higher. Every one of those players has physical tools that GP does not.
and those players don't have the IQ for the game that GP has.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
I think at some point the points have to start mattering. When you keep leading teams and leagues and setting points records, the projectable thing eventually has to go out the window.

I had Smith ranked higher at the draft and still believe he could end up better. Leonard also could, but Perreault has to start getting more respect for the chance that this scoring is projectable and he will end up that PPG or more type of NHL’er.
I always find it funny when armchair experts judge players by looking at points. You always need to look at the set of skills that a player has and how these skills apply to each specific league. Because in different leagues the same skills have different importance. What works in one league may not work in another. For example, in the KHL Gusev is much better than Voronkov, but in the NHL it’s the other way. Therefore, I still doubt that Michkov will have great success in the NHL. But I have no doubt that Simashev will be successful in the NHL. I bet that Tom Wilson would struggle in the KHL. And the KHL record holder Mozyakin never made it to the NHL.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It has nothing to do with "clicks", it's simply how he views the players.

People on here would never recover from the state of shock if they saw how each team in the league ranked a lot of these same players.

They're always nothing even remotely close to the "consensus"
I literally said the same thing already in this thread. Go through my posts. I know.

We also know Button. He's a goof. He's doing it for clicks. He works for TSN. It's how it is.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's the 4th rated player on his own hockey team, and he leads the whole NCAA in points. You don't see how thats disrespectful?

If you were to say Kucherov is the fourth best player on the Lightning, would that be viewed as disrespectful to him?
The NHL is the best of the best, there isn't anything 'projectable' left, so your Kucherov comparison doesn't really make any sense.

Lafreniere dominated every league including the WJC, until he got to the NHL. His game hasn't translated. Meanwhile Byfield and Stutzle both look are turning into elite players. Until a player proves it in the NHL, their projectable skillset will matter.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Could just be me, I haven't seen many others talking about it as I scrolled through, but Calum Ritchie seems wildly out of place at 6.

If they're all bad anyway, why would a list off the beaten path be immune to criticism?

Ritchie has had an incredible year on a very unspectacular Generals team. His stock has risen greatly but ya even I was surprised to see him so high.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This should be the most glaring omission here. He has done literally everything since 2018 to be a highly regarded prospect. 20 years old in the AHL and the best player in the league. What more can you ask of a player Craig? :shakehead
Out of curiosity, why doesn’t he get the call up?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The cosmic flaw with rankings.

Player X was once ranked higher, which means that even when player Y performs better, Player X still stays on top because 'well, he was once rated high, so he still is high now'.

If they were all ranked/seen/scouted for the first time today, there is no justification for Smith/Leonard to be ahead of GP.
You realize Perrault outscored the other two last year and was still ranked lower right? Literally nothing has changed in the last year...the trio is doing the exact same thing in just a different league. They were rated high and are now even higher because of what they're doing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The NHL is the best of the best, there isn't anything 'projectable' left, so your Kucherov comparison doesn't really make any sense.

Lafreniere dominated every league including the WJC, until he got to the NHL. His game hasn't translated. Meanwhile Byfield and Stutzle both look are turning into elite players. Until a player proves it in the NHL, their projectable skillset will matter.
It actually makes a lot of sense because that’s the player he plays the most like, and the point stands.

Lafreniere’s game hasn’t translated but Byfield and Stutzle have? Have you missed the season Lafreniere has had? You also sound ignorant about why his first few years went the way they did, and the first couple of seasons of those players, especially Byfield. Don’t opine when you don’t know what you are talking about.

Projectable NHL future. No way he sustains what he's doing in junior and college into the NHL. I hope he does.
Why no way?

Would you say the same about Hutson?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I always find it funny when armchair experts judge players by looking at points. You always need to look at the set of skills that a player has and how these skills apply to each specific league. Because in different leagues the same skills have different importance. What works in one league may not work in another. For example, in the KHL Gusev is much better than Voronkov, but in the NHL it’s the other way. Therefore, I still doubt that Michkov will have great success in the NHL. But I have no doubt that Simashev will be successful in the NHL. I bet that Tom Wilson would struggle in the KHL. And the KHL record holder Mozyakin never made it to the NHL.
How about we discuss their skills then?

I don’t see anywhere near the upside for Leonard that some claim. I think he’s a good player, but has mostly been carried by his two linemates, despite being more projectable.

This goes both ways. Projectable doesn’t mean one will end up better and it’s often wrong. I don’t really see what the projection issues are between NCAA and NHL. NHL is higher level hockey, but NCAA is very buttoned up, tactical, physical, and the players are older than junior. Aside from the best pro leagues (AHL, SHL, KHL), I think it’s the next most projectable league. Way more than the junior leagues.

You realize Perrault outscored the other two last year and was still ranked lower right? Literally nothing has changed in the last year...the trio is doing the exact same thing in just a different league. They were rated high and are now even higher because of what they're doing.
Better league.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I won't get into the Perrault/Smith/Leonard argument because I think at this point you are splitting hairs. They are all great prospects. I think Perrault was overlooked more than he should have been at the draft. The chemistry is fun to watch. Part of me wonders what each player looks like without one another. They feed off eachother so well

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015

I don’t see anywhere near the upside for Leonard that some claim. I think he’s a good player, but has mostly been carried by his two linemates, despite being more projectable.

This goes both ways. Projectable doesn’t mean one will end up better and it’s often wrong. I don’t really see what the projection issues are between NCAA and NHL. NHL is higher level hockey, but NCAA is very buttoned up, tactical, physical, and the players are older than junior. Aside from the best pro leagues (AHL, SHL, KHL), I think it’s the next most projectable league. Way more than the junior leagues.
I agree with you that Leonard could be “worst” of the three. But for me it’s hard to project all of them (Smith, Leonard and Perreault) since they have been playing in the same line for years. How they will look with other linemates in other playstyles is a big question.There were a ton of players who were linemates with future superstars in junior leagues and you could think that they are good enough to be a NHLers, but they ended up in ECHL.

I won't get into the Perrault/Smith/Leonard argument because I think at this point you are splitting hairs. They are all great prospects. I think Perrault was overlooked more than he should have been at the draft. The chemistry is fun to watch. Part of me wonders what each player looks like without one another. They feed off eachother so well
That’s what I’m talking about. One of them or two or maybe all of them could be a products of their insane chemistry.

P.S. From the top of my head:

2010-2011 Saint John, QMJHL

Jonathan Huberdeau #3 in 2011
Zach Phillips #28 in 2011
Tomas Jurco #35 in 2011
Nathan Beaulieu #17 in 2011
Simon Despres #10 in 2009

We all know how it ended.

Last edited:
Reactions: coooldude

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with you that Leonard could be “worst” of the three. But for me it’s hard to project all of them (Smith, Leonard and Perreault) since they have been playing in the same line for years. How they will look with other linemates in other playstyles is a big question.There were a ton of players who were linemates with future superstars in junior leagues and you could think that they are good enough to be a NHLers, but they ended up in ECHL.
The same was said about Hughes, Zegras, and Caufield, and look now.

I think people overdo the wait and see approach.

I’m with anyone that says there are some players with projection questions. Jordan Dumais for one. Mac Swanson will be another. Adam Benak will probably be another. Logan Stankoven has them. It usually is when a player is very short. But I don’t think players like Connor Bedard, Matvei Michkov Lane Hutson, Gabe Perreault, Matt Savoie, Seamus Casey have projection issues simply because they aren’t big and very fast. It could limit how good they become and might for some of them, but these players are ever only not going to become NHL’ers because of injuries or something off ice. Being an inch or two shorter than league average and having solid, not great speed isn’t the impediment it can be made out to be for those who otherwise have elite talent.

There are enough similarities between the highest level development leagues and the NHL that once you get close and you are still one of those best players, you are probably not going to drastically fail. I’d say the same for players like Dumais and Swanson that are more than an inch or two below NHL average. The caveat being they need the right coach. If they get the right coach that doesn’t discriminate against them because of their size, they’ll succeed as top 6 NHL’ers.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Better league.
The NCAA is not as projectable as you think simply because players get to pick their team, leading to teams that are way too stacked and thus certain players get their production overinflated by teammates who drive the bus. In the rest of the world, the hockey model operates with a much more pro mindset, leading to easier comparison once you adjust for league quality.

Reactions: Musampa

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
The same was said about Hughes, Zegras, and Caufield, and look now.

I think people overdo the wait and see approach.

I’m with anyone that says there are some players with projection questions. Jordan Dumais for one. Mac Swanson will be another. Adam Benak will probably be another. Logan Stankoven has them. It usually is when a player is very short. But I don’t think players like Connor Bedard, Matvei Michkov Lane Hutson, Gabe Perreault, Matt Savoie, Seamus Casey have projection issues simply because they aren’t big and very fast. It could limit how good they become and might for some of them, but these players are ever only not going to become NHL’ers because of injuries or something off ice. Being an inch or two shorter than league average and having solid, not great speed isn’t the impediment it can be made out to be for those who otherwise have elite talent.

There are enough similarities between the highest level development leagues and the NHL that once you get close and you are still one of those best players, you are probably not going to drastically fail. I’d say the same for players like Dumais and Swanson that are more than an inch or two below NHL average. The caveat being they need the right coach. If they get the right coach that doesn’t discriminate against them because of their size, they’ll succeed as top 6 NHL’ers.
I think size isn’t an issue anymore but skating and speed are very important factors to be successful in modern NHL. Short players can find success with good speed and skating. But they need to adapt their style to the NHL. For example, Michkov plays a lot around the net in the KHL and does it successfully there, but he simply couldn’t do the same in the NHL, guys like Trouba, Zadorov and many others will destroy him.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Knies-Cooley-Snuggerud is a good recent comparable for the BC line. Knies probably being the weakest of the 6 as far as NHL potential goes. They were more of a traditional line with a playmaker, finisher and two-way horse. BC trio is two playmakers and a Swiss-Army knife.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: