Craig Button's Top 50 Affiliated Prospects List (2024)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The rankings aren't based entirely on points. GP having the most points in the NCAA doesn't ensure that he will be the best player at the next level. It's not hard to understand.

Suggesting that GP is being disrespected is laughable. He was selected 23rd overall in his draft and is now ranked 7th overall among all drafted prospects. That's a sign of the respect that Button has for his game. There's no reason to take it personally that his BC teammates are ranked slightly higher. Every one of those players has physical tools that GP does not.
I understand the view. I don't agree with it. I think it is disrespectful.

You keep outproducing these players and then are told you are worse for subjective reasons? Let's be real. Smith is 6'0. Multiple people state as weaknesses his skating, defense, and conditioning. Leonard is 6'0. He is a good defensive player and skates well, but doesn't have anywhere near the same level of playmaking as Perreault.

All players have faults. I know the NHL likes to downgrade smaller and slower wingers. It's nothing new. I don't necessarily disagree with that either, but at some point it's time to admit that those concerns for a player need to be let go of. I would think leading the NCAA in points meets that bar. If others want to wait until it happens in the NHL, fair enough. I personally think it's time.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Gauthier at 1 and over Michkov is f***ing hilarious. Cutter's not even in the same tier as Matvei. Gauthier is a very good prospect, but has legitimate holes in his game and based on where he has scored the vast majority of his NCAA goals, it's unclear if his goal-scoring is even going to translate without a serious effort to change his approach. Michkov is an absolute menace in all aspects of offensive hockey.

I think Nikishin over Michkov is more hilarious.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I understand the view. I don't agree with it. I think it is disrespectful.

You keep outproducing these players and then are told you are worse for subjective reasons? Let's be real. Smith is 6'0. Multiple people state as weaknesses his skating, defense, and conditioning. Leonard is 6'0. He is a good defensive player and skates well, but doesn't have anywhere near the same level of playmaking as Perreault.

All players have faults. I know the NHL likes to downgrade smaller and slower wingers. It's nothing new. I don't necessarily disagree with that either, but at some point it's time to admit that those concerns for a player need to be let go of. I would think leading the NCAA in points meets that bar. If others want to wait until it happens in the NHL, fair enough. I personally think it's time.
Gabe has 3 more points than Smith. Last year, Gabe had 5 more points than Smith, but Smith played 3 less games, giving him the slightly higher points per game average. The difference in production between them is negligible.

Leonard produces less points overall, but he's a different type of player. That doesn't mean his value is less than the other two. Of the three, Leonard is likely to be the best goal scorer at the NHL level.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Edvinsson and Reinbacher are much better than the rest of the 'B' ranked defenseman IMO.

Edvinsson being ranked 25th is a joke to me. He is a top 3 defenseman outside the NHL all day, in my opinion.
Yeah Edvinsson is as legit of a prospect as Nikishin is realistically. WOuldnt surprise if either one turned out better than the other. But the wild thing is having a different Red Wing at 8. Switch Sandin-Pellikka and Edvinsson and the list actually looks better

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Tell me you based your entire ranking around the WJCs without telling me...

Better yet, tell me you only value production in defensemen without telling me... ASP and Hutson ranked above Jiricek, Edvinsson, and Reinbacher is laughable.

Reactions: jfhabs

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Edvinsson and Reinbacher are much better than the rest of the 'B' ranked defenseman IMO.

Edvinsson being ranked 25th is a joke to me. He is a top 3 defenseman outside the NHL all day, in my opinion.

100% both of those are wild rankings. I'd have Edvinson as a top 3 D prospect and top 10 in this list.

Reinbacher should be in the 10-20 range.
Reinbacher was a projected top 10 pick last year (think Bobby Mack had him around 7) and is the number 1 D of his team in a mens league at 19, yet he is a b tier defense prospect.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

I can't speak for Montreal fans... But to me, Edvinsson and Reinbacher below ASP and Hutson respectively, is a hilarious take.

Button's giving Scott Wheeler a run for his money when it comes to "Biggest stat watcher".

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Don't show this to Flyer fans...

Boy, being greedy I wish the Ducks selected Nikishin over Ian Moore.... he is exactly what they need... big RHD... 😢

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Stankoven should be top 5…

Who cares about the order of the BC guys. Button has them all in the top 7. It’s whatever

These lists are just a little silly of course.

“Here’s a list of guys that have been drafted that are good”

Reactions: um and starsfan86

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Also just so everyone knows Cossa has a higher save percentage by 3 points than wallestadt in the AHL, and .932 in his past 10. not saying he’s better but his lack of respect compared to his peer blue chip goaltender prospects is silly.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Also just so everyone knows Cossa has a higher save percentage by 3 points than wallestadt in the AHL, and .932 in his past 10. not saying he’s better but his lack of respect compared to his peer blue chip goaltender prospects is silly.

Goalies are almost completely a total crap shoot, but safe to say a lot of people laughing about Cossa's development and then laughing at Detroit drafting Augustine as an affirmation that they didn't believe in Cossa are quiet.

Both are having really good years.

Reactions: cole von cole

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Button always puts a few "out-there" placements in his rankings. Nothing new. It's the schtick. It's to generate clicks and conversation.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Button always puts a few "out-there" placements in his rankings. Nothing new. It's the schtick. It's to generate clicks and conversation.

Ehh, this is more than "Out there".

His ranking of several defensemen displays a theme that he isn't evaluating them beyond their offensive production.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
generally favors to his scouting buddies. He used to constantly overrate Coyotes prospects because his protege was their head scout (yes, he was more biased to them than he is to his brothers team). Led to having Max Domi #1 over Reinhart, Nylander, Ehlers, Bennett, Larkin and Draisaitl, and then had Dvorak also ahead of Nylander, Morrissey, Nurse, and Larkin. The next year, he moves Nylander up to 1, but has Marner behind Strome and Dvorak. Somehow had Rantanen who was destroying the AHL similar to Nylander at 17. He usually has sources that help him have his final draft list from looking like a disgrace, but his post draft rankings are always a mess.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ehh, this is more than "Out there".

His ranking of several defensemen displays a theme that he isn't evaluating them beyond their offensive production.
If people saw individual scouts' lists and the variation on them from consensus rankings, people would think scouts are out to lunch.

Some are out there. It's a schtick. Like whatever. He does this every time he releases a list to create controversy, which = clicks. Getting outraged over it is dumb.
generally favors to his scouting buddies. He used to constantly overrate Coyotes prospects because his protege was their head scout (yes, he was more biased to them than he is to his brothers team). Led to having Max Domi #1 over Reinhart, Nylander, Ehlers, Bennett, Larkin and Draisaitl, and then had Dvorak also ahead of Nylander, Morrissey, Nurse, and Larkin. The next year, he moves Nylander up to 1, but has Marner behind Strome and Dvorak. Somehow had Rantanen who was destroying the AHL similar to Nylander at 17. He usually has sources that help him have his final draft list from looking like a disgrace, but his post draft rankings are always a mess.

This is what I'm getting at. We know what Craig Button does. Why is anyone taking this so seriously, like it's a gross injustice.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If people saw individual scouts' lists and the variation on them from consensus rankings, people would think scouts are out to lunch.

Some are out there. It's a schtick. Like whatever. He does this every time he releases a list to create controversy, which = clicks. Getting outraged over it is dumb.

This is what I'm getting at. We know what Craig Button does. Why is anyone taking this so seriously, like it's a gross injustice.
I would just add, a lot of times, it wasn't primarily for clicks. It was to make his friends look better in the public eye. So, if some dumb owner reads the rankings he can be like, oh we are doing really well. If Arizona's players he's ranked on these boards while Tim Bernhardt was high up in the organization lived up to Button's rankings for them, they'd be a powerhouse.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Well yes, when you rate Edvinsson 17 under ASP and Reinbacher 16 under Hutson, and fans of both Detroit and Montreal will tell you the formers are far more well rounded and NHL-built, people are going to question if you're not just stat-watching.

And for Detroit fans particularly, we're aware Button has a history of this considering he shat on Seider before realizing he could actually put up numbers, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad