Craig Buttons Final 2018 Draft Ranking

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
For most people on this forum that are complaining, it is and for probabilities sake.

Are you objecting to the fact that he is ranking based upon how he projects these players will turn out in a couple of years? Every scout and GM does that. I agree that most don't meet their ultimate potential, but even without reaching his ultimate potential, Hayton could turn out to be the more effective NHL player four or five years from now. A lot of really skilled players are riding buses in the minor leagues and Europe because their games didn't translate as well as others. Hell, even Kotkaniemi needs to develop to make the NHL. This subjective projection is what makes drafting such an inexact science.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Thats why they seem a little odd. If he thinks that Hayton (for example) has a lot of potential, but really isn't as skilled as Kotkaniemi, he will put Hayton over Kotkaniemi even though most prospects never meet their potential.

It's all about projecting players. Picking the guy who is the best right now is an easy job.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Rankings that stands out for me

Hayton at 7th
Boqvist 12th
Smith 22nd
Addison 44th
Woo 52nd
Lauko 81st
Ylonen 84th
Fonstad 88th

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Typical Button list, he will be oddly high on some guys compared to consensus and some will be really good, then way to low on some guys who will also be really good

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Button also has mentioned on NHL Radio (I believe) that there's concerns from many scouts that not only is Boqvist a few years away, he had also heard some very worrying things about him after his jump to SHL. Then when the kid comes out and says he's a few years away, it's almost as if we're now seeing a confidence issue too. Compare that to Hughes who is obviously not scared of anything or proving anyone wrong.

There's hundreds of players out there who have better skills than 25% of NHL players. After junior though, you cant get by with just skill. Commitment, maturity, hockey sense, etc. is just as important.

But he is scared of fitness testing and getting his height and weight measured...

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I love how much Buttons rankings stir people up... Good for him not following suit and copying other rankings... I always enjoy seeing his

I see many response like this, but if it would have been a random forummember people would act even worse, they would just laugh at him.

I am absolutly fine with him having different opinions, but he maybe could try to back them up more.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
People freak out over these lists, but I would really love to see their boards reaction if they saw actual NHL teams' lists. You think all 31 teams have the same general consensus? You're crazy if you think so. Some people acting like children because some players aren't ranked the same.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Are you objecting to the fact that he is ranking based upon how he projects these players will turn out in a couple of years? Every scout and GM does that. I agree that most don't meet their ultimate potential, but even without reaching his ultimate potential, Hayton could turn out to be the more effective NHL player four or five years from now. A lot of really skilled players are riding buses in the minor leagues and Europe because their games didn't translate as well as others. Hell, even Kotkaniemi needs to develop to make the NHL. This subjective projection is what makes drafting such an inexact science.
No, you guys aren't understanding what I'm trying to say. If a player shows some promise, but really isn't performing very well, then he will rank them very high. For example, Denisenko has shown he is very fast and can play at a high level. If he developed better hockey sense, the kid could be something really great. Thats a big reason Button had him so high for so long, but it is very unrealistic Denisenko reaches that point. He really overrates players super hard if he believes in them. Players like Hayton and Denisenko.

Pretty much overrates players too much.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I'm struggling to read between the lines of his rankings more than usually. Beaudin's high ranking is maybe the only interesting one, and Veleno's low ranking. Other than that this seems to be knee-jerk reactions to international tournaments.

Reactions: AppsSyl

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
You haven’t seen the best of Hayton yet. Kid was buried but he’s going to have a huge year next season. It’s about projection and his combination of smarts and subtleties project to be a very good two way NHLer. See him as a Joe Pavelski type. 7 is high but if you like a player then rank him to show that

Bingo.

He's a player who takes playing defense seriously.

Pro teams like that. The shoulders of the NHL highway are historically littered with guys who flash all manner of offense and then can't replicate their game in the pros when asked to play a more complete game.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Typical Button list, he will be oddly high on some guys compared to consensus and some will be really good, then way to low on some guys who will also be really good

Who forms this thing called consensus?

Don't you think teams also radically rate players?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This is the one that makes me go what the hell. I get not liking Veleno as much as others, but 28th seems a bit to low

Will he ever be anything more than a low end #2 or an avg 3C? I'd be shocked if Valeno is drafted above Hayton and personally cant see him going ahead of Lundestrom either.. Flip a coin on Thomas but only because I'm not sure Thomas is a C in the NHL.. Another player I'd take ahead of Veleno is Wise, who a year from now we may look back and wonder why he wasnt a top 10 pick.

To me, he lacks explosiveness in traffic, rarely see dominating moves and honestly, watch his tape.... He needs that extra second. To me he's Riley Sheahan with hopes he can evolve into an offensive threat.

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
No, you guys aren't understanding what I'm trying to say. If a player shows some promise, but really isn't performing very well, then he will rank them very high. For example, Denisenko has shown he is very fast and can play at a high level. If he developed better hockey sense, the kid could be something really great. Thats a big reason Button had him so high for so long, but it is very unrealistic Denisenko reaches that point. He really overrates players super hard if he believes in them. Players like Hayton and Denisenko.

Pretty much overrates players too much.

Button has watched all these guys live and in person, and converses with countless scouts at multiple tournaments throughout the year. The info and resources he has to create his ranking is as good as it gets. Doesn’t mean his list is “right” as there is no such thing but it’s eduacated and its HIS opinion as a scout with years of experience.

“He really overrates players if he believes in them” - castle8130 :huh:

Reactions: PuckLife

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Martin Kaut 47th :huh:
Heart condition hurts his ranking (I still want him at 25 at Leafs fan for the record)

As for the Button hate, he was the first guy I saw to bury Chychrun and the first to say Hanifin wouldn't be better than Provorov.

Last edited:

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Will he ever be anything more than a low end #2 or an avg 3C? I'd be shocked if Valeno is drafted above Hayton and personally cant see him going ahead of Lundestrom either.. Flip a coin on Thomas but only because I'm not sure Thomas is a C in the NHL.. Another player I'd take ahead of Veleno is Wise, who a year from now we may look back and wonder why he wasnt a top 10 pick.

To me, he lacks explosiveness in traffic, rarely see dominating moves and honestly, watch his tape.... He needs that extra second. To me he's Riley Sheahan with hopes he can evolve into an offensive threat.

i guess you watch to much tape
way off veleno
will be minimum 2C
great vision/ very generous with puck/ very strong and agile down low in ozone/ great character
200 foit game all the time

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rankings that stands out for me

Hayton at 7th
Boqvist 12th
Smith 22nd
Addison 44th
Woo 52nd
Lauko 81st
Ylonen 84th
Fonstad 88th

If the Canucks were to draft Hayton at 7th, this board would likely explode. And if Boqvist is still there at #12 the Islanders are poll-vaulting to the podium. But gotta' love Button for shaking up conventional wisdom....clearly has a bit of a down on Boqvist after the Under-18 tournament, but still a pretty desirable prospect imo.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
It's a personal ranking. I'm sure the draft boards of every NHL team boast a plethora of contradictions against the consensus.
People always question a few players on someone's board...and then people post what you did. Some things never change.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Other than that this seems to be knee-jerk reactions to international tournaments.
NHL teams put a huge amount of stock on the major international tournaments b/c it's top prospects playing against their best peers.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Craig Button was the only guy right about Jake Virtanen.

He had him at 44, while other services had him in the top 10-12.

Button's lists are good.
No they really aren't... lol. He got one thing right, which i myself predicted. I wasn't a fan of ritchie or virtanen. Doesn't give his list validity if majority of people predicted it.

I wouild also give him Brayden Point, but tbh I too saw that one coming. Nothing special, but stuff like Ty Smith at 22 is pretty luls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad