Craig Buttons Final 2018 Draft Ranking

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The kid is just being realistic, Hughes won't make it to the NHL quicker just because he says he will. Some players could definitely benefit from being a bit more humble about things. Boqvist is also a year younger than Hughes, of course he's likely going to need an extra year.

Quinn didnt look out of place in much of the World's.. Boqvist struggled when he moved up for his dozen or so games in the SHL. Teams most definitely look at this. It's more than just Hughes "saying he will", we have data to watch. But when a kid says he's a few years away and struggled playing up, how do you justify a top pick?

In today's NHL, Top 10 picks that take 3 years aren't Top 10 picks anymore. Look at all the questions that have arisen about Juolevi. Boqvist may become a great player one day. But so can a guy drafted in the 6th round. To be drafted in the top ten these days, teams want you to be closer to the NHL than someone drafted in the bottom 1st and onward.

It's nothing against the kid. It's just why he's dropping on boards.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Quinn didnt look out of place in much of the World's.. Boqvist struggled when he moved up for his dozen or so games in the SHL. Teams most definitely look at this. It's more than just Hughes "saying he will", we have data to watch. But when a kid says he's a few years away and struggled playing up, how do you justify a top pick?

In today's NHL, Top 10 picks that take 3 years aren't Top 10 picks anymore. Look at all the questions that have arisen about Juolevi. Boqvist may become a great player one day. But so can a guy drafted in the 6th round. To be drafted in the top ten these days, teams want you to be closer to the NHL than someone drafted in the bottom 1st and onward.

It's nothing against the kid. It's just why he's dropping on boards.
I want nothing to do with Boqvist in the top 10 as a Hawks fan - stay clear away from him. I just do not see it overall, his defensive play is non existent, his concussion issues are a concern, and just not seeing the offense with him either. I will take Smith, Bouchard, or Dobson over Boqvist at this time.

Reactions: Petes2424

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s basically his own personal list. As a former gm/scout, it’s always interesting to see their list, let alone he’s the only guy who use to do this as a living willing to put out a “personal” list we not obligated to agree with it or like it, hayton from what I know is 200 foot player with good skating and a size package at 6’1 190. Like honestly I’m all eyes any former gm or scout that is willing to put out a list. Canucks have over 2000 games scouted, in doubt button has the same work load done just his personal list.

I am certain Canucks will not be using their 7th pick on hayton. Keep in mind bitten on will have a final mock draft which is different from his personal list.

Reactions: uncleben

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Haven’t been impressed with Kaut myself. Second round player
He outscored Chytil and Necas in their draft years and was a legit 1st line player for Pardubice at the end of the season/in the playoffs. Sure he doesn't have the highest ceiling but 2nd round player? What the hell are you people smoking?

All the other "big" draft lists have him between 15-25 for a reason.

Reactions: uncleben

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Am I the only one beyond intrigued with wanting to see Boeser and Wahlstrom together in Vancouver??? Practical clones of one another, they can line up together on the power play or go nuclear option and play on the same line at times...hell of a 1-2 punch to have, it could turn their franchise around to have those two snipers.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
This is the one that makes me go what the hell. I get not liking Veleno as much as others, but 28th seems a bit to low
To me Veleno isn't an overly intriguing player and I am fine with him in the second half of the first round. He's a good prospect and worthy of being selected somewhere in the first round but also comes off as a prospect who may have peaked in terms of elite skill vs his peers at an early age. He will play pro because of his smarts and work ethic but from what I have seen he isn't a player who really wows me based on upside and future growth.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
He outscored Chytil and Necas in their draft years and was a legit 1st line player for Pardubice at the end of the season/in the playoffs. Sure he doesn't have the highest ceiling but 2nd round player? What the hell are you people smoking?

All the other "big" draft lists have him between 15-25 for a reason.
Having a different opinion isn't a bad thing. Who cares where the "big" draft lists have them. Most of them are brutal anyways.

In the games I have watched, I was not overly impressed. It's only a couple games but I can only go off of that. Maybe they were bad games but there are players I'd take before him in the first round.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Button was really critical of his U18 performance if I remember correctly and started dropping him shortly thereafter. I can't remember the exact criticism of his play in that tournament.
It was his compete level without the puck primarily

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kyle Woodlief from Red Line Report was just on NHL Now, he has ZERO centers ranked in his top 11...he thinks only 1 will possibly go top 10 and that is Kotkaniemi....

Woodlief also has a top 10 of:

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Hughes
Wahlstrom
Dobson
Bouchard
Tkachuk
Smith
Boqvist

Woodlief has been doing this for over 25 years, compare his top 10 to Button and you can see how people just see things differently...it is why we debate all day long on here as well!!
He's had some weird ones too.. or off the wall lets say.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Am I the only one beyond intrigued with wanting to see Boeser and Wahlstrom together in Vancouver??? Practical clones of one another, they can line up together on the power play or go nuclear option and play on the same line at times...hell of a 1-2 punch to have, it could turn their franchise around to have those two snipers.
They just need 2 Horvats to get them the puck

Reactions: Leopain

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I've always found Button's rankings a little out of the blue... This year though, I think the fact that it's a deep draft, at least in the first two rounds, the players are not that much different from the consensus. Where I question his judgment is where the centers should be ranked (I tend to agree with Woodlief that none of them should be in the top 10) and, mostly, how he can have Beaudin at 20 but Addison at 44 and Alexeyev at 51...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Having a different opinion isn't a bad thing. Who cares where the "big" draft lists have them. Most of them are brutal anyways.
There is nothing wrong with having a reasonable different opinion. Ranking a player who was top-6 forward in a solid men's league in his draft year and was even a contender for a spot on Czech NT in the WC at #47 makes absolutely no sense. While you rank Bokk who isn't particularly close to playing in men's leagues almost 20 spots higher. It's basically saying you believe Kaut has peaked at the age of 18.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sorry if this is wrong, but I would like to know how they got the measurements of some of these guys wrong, we just did this officially TSN....

I always like Button's list. I can be talked into a lot of his top 10 to be honest.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Sorry if this is wrong, but I would like to know how they got the measurements of some of these guys wrong, we just did this officially TSN....

I always like Button's list. I can be talked into a lot of his top 10 to be honest.

I remember looking at Button's list after the 2015 draft and was like what the hell he rated Barzal 15th and at the same time wow he rated Beauvillier 18th. Not sure If I should have loved that or hated it. lol

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Button's earlier work was bat shit crazy....I mean pure click bait stuff- it was insane. He has focused himself much better and his lists are things I actually look forward to and put value in as he is in the trenches a lot watching these kids. Everyone just has to realize what makes Button like a player could be the reason why Woodlief doesn't like a player- everyone has different takes on players or skills/attributes they overvalue...

Button has become an enjoyable read for me, and I will defend him on here to those bitching at his free reads....you have no clue what he was like 10 years ago and the insanity he put out then....he isn't perfect but he is like our Uncle now who you really didn't understand as a kid, but now enjoy talking sports with as you got older!

There has always been one knock on him that has held true for years, he weighs an International tournament heavy in his rankings...do good at the WJC, see a big bump, and vice versa...have a strong u-18 and wham-o, back in business...it is his weakness IMO.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
There has always been one knock on him that has held true for years, he weighs an International tournament heavy in his rankings...do good at the WJC, see a big bump, and vice versa...have a strong u-18 and wham-o, back in business...it is his weakness IMO.

I criticize Button anytime the love for him gets too extreme, but I'd add that he's also quite biased and senile. The things he said about Nylander and Liljegren (I don't mind if he criticized them from the beginning)- but there's a clear disconnect between what he said before they were a Leaf and thereafter, which makes me lose a lot of respect for him. The vitriol/hate seriously distorts his analysis/vision. The irony is that I've also seen the opposite extreme as a Leafs fan where he would genuinely get antagonized if someone criticized Marner's ability at the next level.....his Leafs prospect rankings the last few years (where he had Nielsen as the top rated prospect) suggests some serious disconnect as well. Still, I like reading his list- being starved for hockey content in general.

I like Kotkaniemi a lot as well, and have him ~top 5 right now. I also have Wahlstrom as a dropper. But I'm not a fan of Sandin that high. I don't hate the list, but I don't love it either.....which is pretty much universal with every list.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I criticize Button anytime the love for him gets too extreme, but I'd add that he's also quite biased and senile. The things he said about Nylander and Liljegren (I don't mind if he criticized them from the beginning)- but there's a clear disconnect between what he said before they were a Leaf and thereafter, which makes me lose a lot of respect for him. The vitriol/hate seriously distorts his analysis/vision. The irony is that I've also seen the opposite extreme as a Leafs fan where he would genuinely get antagonized if someone criticized Marner's ability at the next level.....his Leafs prospect rankings the last few years (where he had Nielsen as the top rated prospect) suggests some serious disconnect as well. Still, I like reading his list- being starved for hockey content in general.

I like Kotkaniemi a lot as well, and have him ~top 5 right now. I also have Wahlstrom as a dropper. But I'm not a fan of Sandin that high. I don't hate the list, but I don't love it either.....which is pretty much universal with every list.

not sure I heard this before, what did he say?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
not sure I heard this before, what did he say?

Nylander-> Had him rated as the top prospect at one point on one of his prospect rankings.....going back to a season and a half ago or so he went on Leafs lunch- Leafs radio show in Toronto (this was during the Babcock-tough love, 4th line dangling endpoint)...he quite obnoxiously guaranteed he'd be traded within a year. Subsequently, he retracted this after Nylander won the WC MVP. But it was the arrogance that makes you lose respect for a analyst that speaks with that level of hyperbole...especially when your expectation (whether this is fair or not versus the expectation of simply being a analyst made for TV is subjective)- is as a relatively objective analyst.

Liljegren-> It's just the juxtaposition of Liljegren in his pre-draft ranking->afterwards (where he took him off the top 50 prospect ranking less than a half year after). This is coming off a horrible draft year with mono vs a year where he had a pretty strong draft year as an AHL'er. I also thought (from a Leafs lens)- that his commentating on the WJC was biased in this regard as well, but acknowledge it's a bit subjective as a Leafs fan.

Anymore specific questions feel free to PM me, don't want to derail the thread with qualms that are mostly off-topic and Leaf-specific, that's probably the last thing people want to hear on the prospect board.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Button's post-draft rankings are generally reflective of his friendships in the NHL. Hence, why the Flames and Coyotes get a bunch of love from him. I don't know how Liljegren can go from his 10th best player in June of last year, to at best his 25th or something in January, after showing no sign of regression, and actual improvement.

For example, he defended Strome over Marner to the bitter end, and put Dvorak ahead of him at one point. He also ranked Max Domi the best prospect in hockey one year. He put Pierre Olivier Joseph ahead of Liljegren despite having Liljegren ahead prior to the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad