TSN: Craig Button - Toronto's top trade targets

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
LOL The Leafs are not getting Pietrangelo for Connor Brown.
Pietrangelo is also under contract for next year. The Leafs will probably be able to afford his cap hit at the trade deadline, but not next year unless they are moving out a big salary

You aren't even attempting to understand my posts so I am not going to bother with you. No where did I said Pie for Brown.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Jay Bouwmeester and Nick Jensen on D would be other cheap options.

Eric Staal, Justin Williams, Jason Spezza, Colin Wilson and Patrick Maroon are good expiring forward options.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Jay Bouwmeester and Nick Jensen on D would be other cheap options.

Eric Staal, Justin Williams, Jason Spezza, Colin Wilson and Patrick Maroon are good expiring forward options.

Staal would be worth it if his +10 OVR boost applies to games played for Toronto the way it does for games played against Toronto.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Are you serious with this?

Watch the team. They need defensive defensemen, badly. They need a shutdown defensemen, badly. They give up way too many shots and they rely on their goaltender way too much.

Ozhiganov is their shutdown D? Are you ****ing serious?
Lol...if only advanced stats won hockey games. Everytime the Leafs D get hemmed into our own end, i fire up the old laptop and get on Hockey-Reference.com.....and magically our D suddenly look great!!!:laugh:

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Lol...if only advanced stats won hockey games. Everytime the Leafs D get hemmed into our own end, i fire up the old laptop and get on Hockey-Reference.com.....and magically our D suddenly look great!!!:laugh:

Almost every guy ever mentioned is poopoo’d for one reason or another. In my opinion you need to go into the playoffs with 8 dmen who can play. 2 of which are black aces for when inevitability of injury happens. You will forever have issues with the Boston Bruins if you do not inject a guy who can break the cycle or relieve the pressure of the forecheck.

It doesn’t even have to be a huge name. If you look at Washington, kempny was a huge addition for them. Even a small addition like that could make a monumental difference. I know you know all this I am more or less just mystified by some of the logic that is going on in your fanbase, with how close you are but refuse to give up a low end first and a decent prospect for a guy who can definitely help.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Almost every guy ever mentioned is poopoo’d for one reason or another. In my opinion you need to go into the playoffs with 8 dmen who can play. 2 of which are black aces for when inevitability of injury happens. You will forever have issues with the Boston Bruins if you do not inject a guy who can break the cycle or relieve the pressure of the forecheck.

It doesn’t even have to be a huge name. If you look at Washington, kempny was a huge addition for them. Even a small addition like that could make a monumental difference. I know you know all this I am more or less just mystified by some of the logic that is going on in your fanbase, with how close you are but refuse to give up a low end first and a decent prospect for a guy who can definitely help.
Depending on who, i have zero issues with trading a 1st+.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Long shot here, would the Leafs be able to acquire one of

Byfuglien
Barrie
Doughty

Without giving up one of the big 5? (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly)

If not, what is your ask?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

We need a Right Handed guy who can effectively move the puck out of the zone, more than anything else. There are plenty of guys good at that. The Leafs, Dubas, Babcock, want to employ a style, where we keep the puck in the offensive zone as much as possible, and get the puck out of our zone as quick as possible. Employing purely defensive guys, isn't the goal, but puck movers. Ultimately, we should be looking for someone to play with Reilly, who can push everyone else down.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Long shot here, would the Leafs be able to acquire one of

Byfuglien
Barrie
Doughty

Without giving up one of the big 5? (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly)

If not, what is your ask?

For barrie and buff you may get away from offering one of those aforementioned pieces but I don't see how doughty doesn't cost something enormous. Barrie isn't a fit stylistically and Peg is contending so point seems moot..

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Who do you think they should try and add then, while trying to keep the roster mainly intact?

I don't think they should keep their roster mainly intact.

I think their current roster is a ton of fun to watch, but it isn't built to win championships.

I would sacrifice some offence to make the team tougher and more difficult to play against and more importantly better defensively.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
do you know that when the leafs get hemmed into their own end, that gets tracked? Advanced stats are literally what happens on the ice. they aren't magic

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
do you know that when the leafs get hemmed into their own end, that gets tracked? Advanced stats are literally what happens on the ice. they aren't magic
Here's what i know, folks are always telling me that the Leafs D isn't bad because advanced stats say so....and yet, they don't pass the eye test. This defense will not carry this team in the playoffs...it will once again be our downfall....it needs to be upgraded.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Here's what i know, folks are always telling me that the Leafs D isn't bad because advanced stats say so....and yet, they don't pass the eye test. This defense will not carry this team in the playoffs...it will once again be our downfall....it needs to be upgraded.
i've never seen that. I have seen people say the Leafs D isn't bad because they don't allow many goals as a team

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
For barrie and buff you may get away from offering one of those aforementioned pieces but I don't see how doughty doesn't cost something enormous. Barrie isn't a fit stylistically and Peg is contending so point seems moot..
That’s true, I would be willing to overpay for Buff though... that’s my dream RD.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Edler would be a great addtion for the playoffs for what it's worth. I just don't think he will waive.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
That's on the money, much like the Caps from a few seasons back.

Reactions: Snowman

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
That’s true, I would be willing to overpay for Buff though... that’s my dream RD.

....Seth Jones

Edler would be a great addtion for the playoffs for what it's worth. I just don't think he will waive.

Maybe if he was a natural right shot. Even then, it would depend on price.

While I agree he's a solid player and has gotten better defensively over the years, he's not an idealistic fit for us.

Hashtag Andersen is carrying the team.

We bleed shots, if Andy wasn't playing out of his mind...things would be much different.

We need an upgrade but I don't think it's as doomsday as you think it is, even if the expectation is high - i.e. winning the cup......a lot of that has to do with system and pace we play. The reality is winning the cup is a bit of a crapshoot and I genuinely believe the Leafs are legit cup contenders this year, let's just hope we peak when it matters, and if not- we're positioned well moving forward either way.

Plus, I'm of the mindset you need to have some pace to win, otherwise any goaltender would struggle without a consistent steady barrage of shots...in fact, the extreme of too less shots would be worst than too much, IMO.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
....Seth Jones

Maybe if he was a natural right shot. Even then, it would depend on price.

While I agree he's a solid player and has gotten better defensively over the years, he's not an idealistic fit for us.

We need an upgrade but I don't think it's as doomsday as you think it is, even if the expectation is high - i.e. winning the cup......a lot of that has to do with system and pace we play. The reality is winning the cup is a bit of a crapshoot and I genuinely believe the Leafs are legit cup contenders this year, let's just hope we peak when it matters, and if not- we're positioned well moving forward either way.

Plus, I'm of the mindset you need to have some pace to win, otherwise any goaltender would struggle without a consistent steady barrage of shots...in fact, the extreme of too less shots would be worst than too much, IMO.
I say this with humor in mind...did you just say giving up less shots is worse than bleeding many shots? That's some new age thinking there. And ya, it kind of is doomsday bad...we cannot be considered contenders with this defense. It will be destroyed by the likes of the Bruins/Lightning. I'm not saying we need to hit a home run (Petro/Parayko)....but if we could land Muzzin? Hell, even Gudas or Edler would be a big help.

Hainsey simply can't be our top pair D in the playoffs...he's spent. Zaitsev is what he is, but i would like an upgrade on Oz as well. Even adding Muzzin or Edler we could run:
Rielly/Muzzin/Edler
Gardiner/Hainsey
Dermott/Zaitsev
Or at least replace Oz with a guy like Gudas.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I say this with humor in mind...did you just say giving up less shots is worse than bleeding many shots? That's some new age thinking there. And ya, it kind of is doomsday bad...we cannot be considered contenders with this defense. It will be destroyed by the likes of the Bruins/Lightning. I'm not saying we need to hit a home run (Petro/Parayko)....but if we could land Muzzin? Hell, even Gudas or Edler would be a big help.

Hainsey simply can't be our top pair D in the playoffs...he's spent. Zaitsev is what he is, but i would like an upgrade on Oz as well. Even adding Muzzin or Edler we could run:
Rielly/Muzzin/Edler
Gardiner/Hainsey
Dermott/Zaitsev

The challenge here, is that the Leafs want to build the team, with D that can move the puck, out of the zone. Gudas isn't good at this at all. They like Oz and the direction that he is headed as well. I don't think a guy like Gudas is on the radar at all. I'd guess they are looking more at the Spurgeon's and Faulk's of the world.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The challenge here, is that the Leafs want to build the team, with D that can move the puck, out of the zone. Gudas isn't good at this at all. They like Oz and the direction that he is headed as well. I don't think a guy like Gudas is on the radar at all. I'd guess they are looking more at the Spurgeon's and Faulk's of the world.
Just more of what we have, but i would be OK with that. For me, the problem with our D isn't getting the puck out....it's getting the puck at all.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Rielly/Muzzin/Edler
Gardiner/Hainsey
Dermott/Zaitsev

To a degree, yes, too little shots would be worst than bleeding too many....(obviously 0 shots on net would be ideal). But a goalies performance and and the game is predicated on pace, momentum- which can't easily be tracked by the notion of "too many shots" to begin with. It's something that can't be defined with a straight-line, linear approach either.

IMO, we are contenders. To me, the only teams that worry me are all in the east right now- Tampa, Boston (when healthy), Washington. These are the 3 best teams in the league right now, in my opinion, besides Toronto. Just my objective opinion (do think that the West dominated the league for over a decade, and whoever came out of the East would just get feasted on by whoever came out of the west......Preds/Jets are up there, but I don't hold them to the same esteem as the aforementioned). You also always have to give respect to the Pens due to pedigree.

Agree we need an upgrade defensively.....Gudas would be a mild upgrade over Oz at best. He's not top-4 quality.

Muzzin/Edler would require someone internally to slide over to the right. Not sure I'd be a huge fan of moving a pick for either.

If those are the options, I'm fine with the status quo (just my thoughts)......none of those guys swing the needle for me at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad