TSN: Craig Button - Toronto's top trade targets

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Dermott is a good young player, but come on. Edler is obviously much better at the point.
I think you missed my point...let ,me make it easier, if we acquire Edler...Dermott will not be the odd man out, OZ will be and someone will shift to their offside.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Because i am curious, what's the cost to acquire?
As always, the million dollar question! We could always ask that Hollywood guy (and others) who thinks Tanev is garbage. Maybe they'll have a better idea than us grizzled fans. Edler has substantially increased his value from the start of the year - it's almost like he's playing for a contract! He's a physical presence, excellent on the PK and in his own zone and can be the 2nd unit PP QB. He also has significant playoff experience and not intimidated by a big market. If he did not have a NTC, I expect there would be many team bidding up the price so that the return would be a 1st round pick and a decent prospect (though the prospect would have to be better coming from the Leafs because of how low the pick will be) or young player. What are you willing to pay?

Reactions: Skipee

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I've felt for awhile that Simmonds would be huge for the Leafs.

They have forward talent out the wazoo but nobody who can own the front of the net when you need ugly ass goals in the playoffs. Plus he's tough as all get out.
Whoever gets Simmonds is going to pay, they will want a 1st rounder...would the Leafs do it?

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So this guys argument is that they are so soft they need a tough forward more than a solid D. Yikes.

So maybe Pesce AND Ferland for Nylander then. Or one of those other great forwards you insist on bogarting.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs aren't going to make a trade @ deadline unless its for a Dman(preferably right handed) who is good at zone exits(as he said this was a weakness) and has some term(not a rental). Dubas has made this very clear.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I'd like to see the Leafs do some business with Philly who is steaming right now. Take Simmonds and see if you can also pry Ghost out of them as part of the deal. Obviously Leafs would need to kick in some good stuff to get it, but it would solve some problems this year and in the future. Liljegren, Brown, 1st round pick and maybe a Grundstrom or Bracco level prospect. Some later picks sprinkled on top and a Mitch Marner autographed jersey should get it done. I'm sure Philly fans will belly ache about needing Marner and not just an autographed jersey of him to get that kind of deal but somewhere between the extremes is some sort of deal, isn't there?
With Ghosts contact that package might get him alone. The Flyers would do much better than that if they were packaging Simmonds and Ghost. Those two can make any team better, I don't see anything in that package that moves the needle for the two Flyers that would be moving. A team seeking to better their chances at winning it all will pay a premium for Simmonds at the TDL the Flyers don't need to add Ghost to get a great return on Simmonds.

Reactions: Tripod

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wouldnt be completely opposed to Kronwall while adding a few more years to his contract.

19/20
Rielly RD
Dermott Kronwall
Hainsey Oz
Rosen Holl

Tell Gards to take a hike, and find some way to move Zaitsevs contract.
We're gonna need a serious shaker in that RD for that D to look any better than our current

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Leafs aren't going to make a trade @ deadline unless its for a Dman(preferably right handed) who is good at zone exits(as he said this was a weakness) and has some term(not a rental). Dubas has made this very clear.

Sometimes what you want and what is available don’t match up though. In an ideal world yeah, that’s probably what he wants. But what’s he going to do if he can’t get a guy with term? Just say F it and not do anything? I can’t see it. It’s possible but unlikely.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
As always, the million dollar question! We could always ask that Hollywood guy (and others) who thinks Tanev is garbage. Maybe they'll have a better idea than us grizzled fans. Edler has substantially increased his value from the start of the year - it's almost like he's playing for a contract! He's a physical presence, excellent on the PK and in his own zone and can be the 2nd unit PP QB. He also has significant playoff experience and not intimidated by a big market. If he did not have a NTC, I expect there would be many team bidding up the price so that the return would be a 1st round pick and a decent prospect (though the prospect would have to be better coming from the Leafs because of how low the pick will be) or young player. What are you willing to pay?
I think Elder is substantially better than Tanev. He can actually score. He is actually a better defender. He is solid. I would have no problem including a first and even a +. I am a guy who has argued constantly that Tanav is worth a third round pick.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Sometimes what you want and what is available don’t match up though. In an ideal world yeah, that’s probably what he wants. But what’s he going to do if he can’t get a guy with term? Just say F it and not do anything? I can’t see it. It’s possible but unlikely.

Yeah then they just will sit how they are. Theyre 2nd in the NHL with the roster they have

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Might TO go after Erik Karlsson if Sharks can't resign him and they prefer to get assets back. I assume Sharks acquired him to add to the team and try push of a long playoff run vs just moving him at the deadline

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Sandin for Tanev straight up would be good. I know the Canucks feel they need RD depth as well, but Sandin is the type of prospect who could replace Edler if the Canucks lose him too, and Juolevi being out for the year adds some more question marks to their defensive prospect depth.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sandin for Tanev straight up would be good. I know the Canucks feel they need RD depth as well, but Sandin is the type of prospect who could replace Edler if the Canucks lose him too, and Juolevi being out for the year adds some more question marks to their defensive prospect depth.

We give up one of our top prospects, for a guy having an awful season?

Yeah, no.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The Leafs somehow have some of the best odds of winning the cup despite having some glaring lineup issues (defense, toughness).

It would be malpractice to not fix those issues before this playoffs. This might be the best chance they get.

I don't see any of Button's targets fixing much. They need to aim higher, and be prepared to pay up.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
So this guys argument is that they are so soft they need a tough forward more than a solid D. Yikes.

So maybe Pesce AND Ferland for Nylander then. Or one of those other great forwards you insist on bogarting.

The minimum for Nylander will be Pesce and Necas. I don't think it can get cheaper than that for Canes

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
We give up one of our top prospects, for a guy having an awful season?

Yeah, no.
Do you even watch Canuck games? He is not having an awful season, not even close. He went through a stretch recently where he was not as amazing as he usually is (our #1 defenceman though Edler is playing out of his mind right now) but he is now back in top form. Watch the game tonight, we'll see how he handles the heavy, talented Jets forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad