Proposal: Craig Anderson to _____ ?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't think Ottawa would be interested in Allen or Reimer. Both guys have 2 years after this one on their contracts. Not overly appealing.

I don't see why Ottawa would trade Anderson, to be honest with you. They have no one internally ready to replace him, and they won't get anyone better back in a trade. They're not your typical sellers this season, since they have no 1st. So why move him at all?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don't think Ottawa would be interested in Allen or Reimer. Both guys have 2 years after this one on their contracts. Not overly appealing.

I don't see why Ottawa would trade Anderson, to be honest with you. They have no one internally ready to replace him, and they won't get anyone better back in a trade. They're not your typical sellers this season, since they have no 1st. So why move him at all?

The fact that we don’t have anyone internally to replace him is the reason I’d like to trade him. We need a younger stopgap goalie. He’s 37 now, his contract is done next year I believe. We can’t just throw one of our upcoming goalies into a starter position and I’d rather not sign a 38/39yr old goalie again.

I’m not looking to get a better goalie back in return, just someone who is 26-30 preferably (age) who can play and be a starter until one of our upcoming goalies are ready. Not rushed in. I’d have no problem adding to do that depending on the goalie.

Andy has another playoff run or 2 in him, and would be a good piece to a team who is 1 goalie away from being playoff contenders. Even if we get a worse goalie back stuff could be added. We have no expectations to do well anyways for a couple years.

Reactions: zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The fact that we don’t have anyone internally to replace him is the reason I’d like to trade him. We need a younger stopgap goalie. He’s 37 now, his contract is done next year I believe. We can’t just throw one of our upcoming goalies into a starter position and I’d rather not sign a 38/39yr old goalie again.

I’m not looking to get a better goalie back in return, just someone who is 26-30 preferably (age) who can play and be a starter until one of our upcoming goalies are ready. Not rushed in. I’d have no problem adding to do that depending on the goalie.

Andy has another playoff run or 2 in him, and would be a good piece to a team who is 1 goalie away from being playoff contenders. Even if we get a worse goalie back stuff could be added. We have no expectations to do well anyways for a couple years.

Well that makes a lot of sense to me.

If all you're after is a slightly younger quasi starter, then you should find one with a small add.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Honestly I’m not sure, I haven’t been following him much. I’d give it 2 though
I get that Ottawa is rebuilding and want to get younger, but not sure their are both younger and equivalent NHL starter (level) goalies available. Seems like a risky strategy that could put Ottawa in the same place that Philly and Carolina have been in.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Honestly Anderson is a pretty damn good goalie right now even if he's 37. He hasn't played that much before he was 30 so maybe that has something to do with it. He doesn't look different in net than he did when he was traded to Ottawa. His contract has an extra year but I doubt he falls off that much the way he's playing now. He'll at the very least be able to split starts next season with another goalie. He's also been one of the best playoffs goalies in the entire NHL in the last 10 years, he steps up big time in the playoffs and important games.

If I'm a team like the Blue I take a shot at him because it won't cost much in terms of assets, he has proved to be a great playoff goalie, he has an extra year and then his contract is over so the risk is not that high and at the same time if he does well you still have him for an extra season. He's always played in front of bad or average teams as well, he's used to see 40 shots a game. Playing in front a better team would make him look even better.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa cant afford to trade Andy now,we have a broken Condon and kids behind him....

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Andy is on a big deal and what like 37, you gunna add a pick or high end prospect with him? Unless you are taking on a worse contract in some way it aint happenin

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Andy is on a big deal and what like 37, you gunna add a pick or high end prospect with him? Unless you are taking on a worse contract in some way it aint happenin

If it means getting back a younger with the same skill/potential as Andy in his prime or slightly below that yeah damn right I’ll add a pick or decent prospect. Andy will only be good for another 2 until his contract is out. After that who knows

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If it means getting back a younger with the same skill/potential as Andy in his prime or slightly below that yeah damn right I’ll add a pick or decent prospect. Andy will only be good for another 2 until his contract is out. After that who knows

Are the Sens really in a position to be giving up picks and prospects right now though? Its not like you would be getting any long term solutions in goal, just a younger place holder that would be average or below average as no one is moving any actual good goalies atm.

You'd be paying to ditch Andys contract far more than what you'd be getting in return.

Also not to mention Andy has performed really well this year, especially given the record number of chances he has faced.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Are the Sens really in a position to be giving up picks and prospects right now though? Its not like you would be getting any long term solutions in goal, just a younger place holder that would be average or below average as no one is moving any actual good goalies atm.

You'd be paying to ditch Andys contract far more than what you'd be getting in return.

Also not to mention Andy has performed really well this year, especially given the record number of chances he has faced.

Okay, but when Andy’s contract is done what are we going to do? We have Condon and McKenna... Both backups at the best. We need someone who can start at least another 4- 5 yrs until one of our upcoming goalies can officially take the starter position.

I’m not saying I’d 100% add, it would only be if it was a promising goalie coming back. One you can look at and be like “ Yes he can be the starter and a role model to our upcomers” I’m not aiming for a better goalie back I want a stopgap one, that’s it. Honestly I’d do Andy for Allen with a slight add from Blues but I don’t like his contract ending on the wrong side of 5.

Also your correct, he has been preforming pretty decent. Making his value arguably as high as it will be for 2 playoff runs. I just don’t see what we are going to do if we don’t trade him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Okay, but when Andy’s contract is done what are we going to do? We have Condon and McKenna... Both backups at the best. We need someone who can start at least another 4- 5 yrs until one of our upcoming goalies can officially take the starter position.

I’m not saying I’d 100% add, it would only be if it was a promising goalie coming back. One you can look at and be like “ Yes he can be the starter and a role model to our upcomers” I’m not aiming for a better goalie back I want a stopgap one, that’s it. Honestly I’d do Andy for Allen with a slight add from Blues but I don’t like his contract ending on the wrong side of 5.

Also your correct, he has been preforming pretty decent. Making his value arguably as high as it will be for 2 playoff runs. I just don’t see what we are going to do if we don’t trade him.

No one is giving up young goalies with promise, let alone adding on Andy's cap hit on top of that. Tons of teams need goalies right now and there are just no solutions out there.

Honestly the Sens have so many issues currently who is in goal likely wont matter for a little while. I mean if you want to swap Andy for a worse goalie who can be a sub NHL option but for longer than by all means but there isn't really much to be gained from any of this.

The Sens could put Andy on waivers and its 50/50 on whether he would be claimed or not, as I said before some teams like Phi might be desperate enough to do it out of need but it'd be close.

The one thing the Sens have going for them is they have some good young players and they draft well. Blow everything up and pray to hit some home run picks and finally that EM is kicked out of the NHL by the time they are ready to make an impact.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I can't see Anderson as anything more than a rental. No one in their right mind would extend Anderson.

Currently. I wonder if the Yotes might be interested due to injuries to Raanta. Perhaps more teams would be interested if they run into injuries and want insurance.

EDIT: If CBJ do not try and go for one last huzzah with Bobrovsky and Panarin. I wonder if they'd be interested in Anderson as a stop gap if they're flipping Bob and Panarin at the trade deadline to be rentals.

Reactions: zaqq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad