Craig Anderson: The Best In The League?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Obviously someone CAN be the best at something after 10 games, whether they will continue to be the best at it is the only question.

I never think about Bishop. He was great for what we needed, and we have two goalies that are better and traded him to a great situation which was a win for him more than us. I'm fine with that given that he helped save our season when Andy went down.

Would I have liked a better return? Sure. Do I think about it ever? Nope.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Meh, it wasn't started by one of our fans. Jinxs don't count when other fan bases do them.

So NO ONE from here start a positive Senators thread!

It still counts! It's still a jinx!

Stop it, stop it, stop it! We need to fly under the radar as long as possible.

Argh...so much bad karma lately. :rant: :cry:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anderson is a below average starter on a hot streak. All goalies have them.

He's got a .921 sv% since joining the sens, that's tied for 4th league wide over the same period (100+ games played). I guess you think if we had an Average goalie or an elite one, they'd be rocking a .940 over the same span?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Still doesn't make up for Bishop.

So it means acquiring Bishop was another steal in the first place? Only paid a 2nd round pick and used Bishop in 2 seasons to help reach the playoffs while Andy was injured... So moot point.

Anything to say?

And people continue to complain without ever replying to this... probably just have no argument at all.

We lost out on a 2nd vs 100 games of Conacher. Not really a big deal, especially when we have two goalies.

Conacher also scored the most important goal in the series against the Habs. For me, it was worth it just for that cause beating the Habs in the first playoff series against them ever was really important

And let's not forget Lindberg...

One last important thing to note :

1 Goalie
6 D-men
12 Forwards

That's a NHL line-up, you can only dress 1 goalie at a time so if you have 3... it's a bit useless

Don't downplay, 100 games of **** play leading to a waive, vs long time top ranked goalie prospect coming into his own.

Trade was disaster from announcement. Never buy high on a midget.

GM BM was enamored with Stevie Y's leadership, good looks, reserved charisma.

What a bunch a crap, I'd rather get no argument seriously :laugh:

Bishop was 26 y/o at the time of the trade, was about to enter his UFA years, which means more expensive. Maybe Conacher was the wrong guy to target but I don't think Bishop had much more value than Conacher and a 4th, that's pretty much the market for unproven/less proven goalies.

If Bishop was so great back then, why were the Sens able to get him for a 2nd then? Reality is the Sens finished his development but he "broke out" in Tampa Bay. They have a good team, he wouldn't look as good in most places.

Look at Schneider, Bernier and other trades

Found an article for you...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/trading-an-nhl-goalie-dont-expect-to-hit-a-home-run/

...but the deal marked just how weak the goaltending market is.

Devan Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks

Cory Schneider for the ninth overall pick (Bo Horvat)

Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, second-rounder

Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, fourth-rounder

Steve Mason for Michael Leighton, third-rounder

Sergei Bobrovsky for second-rounder, two fourth-rounders

Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron

Tomas Vokoun for a seventh-rounder

Semyon Varlamov for first-rounder (Filip Forsberg) and second-rounder

Craig Anderson for Brian Elliott

Dwayne Roloson for Ty Wishart

Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz

Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy and fourth-rounder.

The second was worth it just to have Bishop when Anderson went down and Lehner was struggling. We then turned that into Conacher who was looking like a legit top 6 player and a 4th round pick.

Obviously the trade looks back now but in terms of asset management it really wasn't horrible. A second for two years of Bishop, Conacher, and a 4th.

Exactly, there's nothing much more to add to this. It's actually very good asset management. I'd trade every 2nd round pick like that if it was possible.

/Hoping people finally understand this situation.

Anderson is a below average starter on a hot streak. All goalies have them.

Below average?

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_played

Then why is he 10th on that list?

Coincidentally, IMO, he's a top-10/15 goalie in the NHL.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
When Anderson is hot, he's arguably the best goalie in the league(I take Quick ahead only probably).

Aside from that, Anderson can go from 100-0 real quick. I just hope that he finds that groove where he stays consistent over the course of at least a full season and wins a vezina to give him that confident to become more consistent.

Quick? His 5-on-5 save % is terrible. He makes some flashy saves, but he's waaay to rangy. I'd take price or lundqvist or rask over quick.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I've always thought he was top 10 in the league. On a good day (year) he might push himself into the top 5 in the league argument, but certainly not number one.

Still, there's a reason the Sens re-signed him. He and Lehner form a devastating tandem IMO.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Quick? His 5-on-5 save % is terrible. He makes some flashy saves, but he's waaay to rangy. I'd take price or lundqvist or rask over quick.

I meant when every goalie is hot, not in general. When Quick is on his game, he's not human.

Watch playoffs last year against San Jose after they were down 3-0. He put the team on his back.

San Jose did everything imaginable in game 7 to win the game. They just could not and would not beat him.

But in general I'd take Rask and Lundqvist over Quick, yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad