News Article: Coyotes willing to invest funds for new downtown arena.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I'm most concerned about Vegas... that potential owner has hundreds of millions ready to go and a new arena to boot.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
If it doesn't sell that doesn't mean the team is gonzo either. But those pre-earmarked funds will go to the new arena vs the hotel.

It's no coincidence that it's gone up for sale at this point.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If it doesn't sell that doesn't mean the team is gonzo either. But those pre-earmarked funds will go to the new arena vs the hotel.

That's a sale we'll watch closely.

Thanks as always for providing insight.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It frees the city from a financial obligation, enabling them to contribute to a new Suns (or Suns/Coyotes) arena.

How much will that hotel sell for? They may not be able to sell it for a couple of years. I can't see that being the roadblock for a new arena.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Wow! Good luck in selling at that price. If a new arena downtown depends on the sale of the hotel, I would suggest looking else where.

A hotel of that size in that location, that's not that much $$$

Just a matter of time

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
$300 million is a lot but the city can perhaps throw in some tax abatement and incentives to make it worthwhile for a buyer. I wonder what happens with bond holders if the property can only be sold for less. Will the city have to put a lien or borrow against another property to make up the difference?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
A hotel of that size in that location, that's not that much $$$

Just a matter of time

Who do you know is going to buy this hotel? Also, a new arena doesn't mean **** if the Coyotes don't get a sweetheart deal. Are you aware in great detail of what led up to the Thrashers leaving Atlanta?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Am I the only one who doesn't think the team moving to Vegas is the end of the world? I guess I'm still pessimistic about them staying in state, and obviously I'd prefer they do, but they move anywhere out of state, it doesn't get much closer than vegas.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's not about the team being close. It's about the league, one that absolutely has the power to keep the team in a relatively "important" market like Phoenix, quietly shuffling the team off to a situation that really isn't any better long term. It'd be pathetic.

If you are going to have sunbelt hockey, stick to your guns and help the teams. Don't fold like a cheap lawn chair the first moment you might have to hold the bag.

Vegas would be insulting.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's not about the team being close. It's about the league, one that absolutely has the power to keep the team in a relatively "important" market like Phoenix, quietly shuffling the team off to a situation that really isn't any better long term. It'd be pathetic.

If you are going to have sunbelt hockey, stick to your guns and help the teams. Don't fold like a cheap lawn chair the first moment you might have to hold the bag.

Vegas would be insulting.

I can't disagree with any of that, but if they have to move, a place I can take a road trip to and catch a game would be preferable.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
Am I the only one who doesn't think the team moving to Vegas is the end of the world? I guess I'm still pessimistic about them staying in state, and obviously I'd prefer they do, but they move anywhere out of state, it doesn't get much closer than vegas.

I hate Las Vegas with a fiery passion for many reasons. If the Coyotes move there, that's another reason to hate Vegas. However, I would prefer Las Vegas over a Canadian market.

If they HAD to move, I'd pick Seattle.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I'd like to know what the hotel cost to put up - the city is just trying to get most of their money out.

Wikipedia says it cost $350 million, in 2008 dollars, to build the hotel. So $300 million is below replacement cost.

In the link posted above by Bonsai Tree, The Phoenician in Scottsdale with 643 rooms sold for $400 million. So the Downtown Sheraton with its 1000 rooms at $300 million doesn't seem so bad. With some tax incentives the property may end up fetching the $300 million.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wikipedia says it cost $350 million, in 2008 dollars, to build the hotel. So $300 million is below replacement cost.

In the link posted above by Bonsai Tree, The Phoenician in Scottsdale with 643 rooms sold for $400 million. So the Downtown Sheraton with its 1000 rooms at $300 million doesn't seem so bad. With some tax incentives the property may end up fetching the $300 million.

I'm no hotel expert, but I think profit has to enter the equation. While the downtown Sheraton is losing money, I bet the Phoenician makes a ton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad