News Article: Coyotes willing to invest funds for new downtown arena.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Title of the article is "Coyotes would expect taxpayer money for new arena" which is a given. That the 'investors' have anything real to bring to the party is purely hypothetical, and most likely not true in the way other teams have helped pay for arenas.

"Why not invest it in Glendale?" makes zero sense as a question. Contrary to popular belief, owning the arena is not a free to pass to profit land. The optimal setup is to have the city foot the bill while being in a position to either be paid directly for managing the arena as the Coyotes were or to reap the benefits from an event heavy arena.

Both situations are no longer possible in Glendale. It even says in the article why "investors" would be willing to cough up some money for a downtown arena.

The only interesting tidbit is that ASU would join the Coyotes and Suns downtown. That would make three partners in on a facility, and potentially help sell it to the public. It'd also water down the power of the Suns in a new arrangement.

The public having to vote on it makes the timing problematic.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
The only interesting tidbit is that ASU would join the Coyotes and Suns downtown.

Wow throwing ASU into a downtown arena along with the Suns, Coyotes, Mercury, Rattlers, and concerts would have that arena busy 200+ days per year. When you count the Diamondbacks events at their stadium, downtown Phoenix would have something going on pretty much every day. Besides good for the local businesses, it would be a good draw for people looking to move downtown.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
The ASU campus downtown is massive now, wasn't always the case and with light rail from tempe.. that would be huge for ASU sports

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Definitely makes a lot more sense for ASU now then it did before light rail and the downtown campus expansions.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Certainly a bright picture painted.

I won't believe a word of it until someone outside of IA chimes in.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I'm foaming at the mouth thinking about it being on or near the light rail, to hell with traffic.

Sounds like I need to move back inside the Phoenix city limits so I can vote for this thing.

Pretty much. I'll just have to worry about the wait for the light rail on the way home, which can get pretty hectic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like Leblanc, but I would hate to see any potential deal ruined because he opened his mouth

635858139319511753-CoyotesCEOLeBlanc.PNG

Please trust me.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...seeks-buyer-sheraton-hotel-downtown/77302888/

Phoenix is officially seeking offers from buyers interested in purchasing the 1,000-room Sheraton

Anyone got 300 mil to buy a money losing hotel?

Selling the hotel also could free up money to help build a new downtown arena for the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Coyotes, a prospect city leaders are negotiating

Still need a vote from taxpayers...and more $$$

The (Suns) have a 40-year lease to operate Talking Stick Resort Arena...but its agreement includes a provision for the Suns to opt out at the 30-year mark if the building is considered obsolete

Who determines obsolete?

That could allow the Suns to leave downtown Phoenix by around 2022

Is that soon enough to partner with Yotes?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Who determines obsolete?

Haven't seen the full details, but my understanding is if it's obsolete "by NBA standards". Which it almost certainly would be given its relative age compared to the rest of the NBA arenas.

There are only seven arenas that are older then Talking Stick. Three of them have plans in the works to replace them (Milwaukee, Sacramento, Golden State). One has been rumored for replacement for a few years (Detroit). And MSG is its own special case with massive past renovations. Target Center in Minnesota just approved a $129m renovation. Leaving only Salt Lake City's arena without replacement or major renovation discussions.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Haven't seen the full details, but my understanding is if it's obsolete "by NBA standards". Which it almost certainly would be given its relative age compared to the rest of the NBA arenas.

There are only seven arenas that are older then Talking Stick. Three of them have plans in the works to replace them (Milwaukee, Sacramento, Golden State). One has been rumored for replacement for a few years (Detroit). And MSG is its own special case with massive past renovations. Target Center in Minnesota just approved a $129m renovation. Leaving only Salt Lake City's arena without replacement or major renovation discussions.

23 year old arenas are obsolete? Bizarre. Must be why my Cubs can't win the World Series.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
23 year old arenas are obsolete? Bizarre. Must be why my Cubs can't win the World Series.

A bunch of NBA arenas didn't even make it to 23 years old. Charlotte, Miami, and Orlando all built new arenas right when the move to more suites and club seating in arenas was taking place. All of those arenas were effectively obsolete the day they opened and lasted less then 23 years before being replaced. The same thing happened with Milwaukee and Sacramento opened in 1988, hence being replaced now.

Detroit was one of the first of the new generation of arenas, also opened in 1988, so they've enjoyed a longer lifetime. Still some rumblings about where their future lies, with a potential return to downtown Detroit from the suburbs.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Two years from now (assuming Detroit and Edmonton's new arenas are completed as scheduled) Anaheim will have the 3rd oldest arena in the NHL. And it could be the 2nd oldest in 5 years time (Calgary), trailing only MSG.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This whole thing is more than possible due to the Sun's need for a new arena. It's up to LeBlanc and company to hitch their caboose onto the Sun's train. A bit of coin from LeBlanc, more coin from Sarver, and the rest from Phoenix makes a downtown multi-use arena a reality.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This whole thing is more than possible due to the Sun's need for a new arena. It's up to LeBlanc and company to hitch their caboose onto the Sun's train. A bit of coin from LeBlanc, more coin from Sarver, and the rest from Phoenix makes a downtown multi-use arena a reality.

Problem is, the Suns don't need a new arena immediately. The Coyotes do. The timeline is problematical and the Coyotes' desperation to move the timeline forward will only hurt them in any potential negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad