Coyotes Waiver Status

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He's 19, he'll be 20 in November.

If it's always two years than why is Kuznetsov still a Cap?

There's currently no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL. When there's no transfer agreement with a league outside North America that a player was drafted from then the NHL typically extends the teams' rights to that player in perpetuity. There are some complex rules in the CBA about these players eventually being able to become UFA's, but in practice I don't think that happens with any desirable prospects. I imagine the NHL's reasoning behind this is that because there is no transfer agreement, then there is no guarantee that a team even has the opportunity to sign a player that may already be under a multi-year contract in another unaffiliated league.

Also, btw, the new 2012 CBA changed the draft rights so that players age 18 or 19 drafted from outside North America now have their rights held for 4 years instead of the prior 2 years. Though this went into effect with the 2013 draft and was not applied retroactively to earlier drafts. Players drafted at age 20+ continue to be held for 2 years.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I thought I read on these boards that Tikhonov would be UFA a year from now. It would be fantastic if AZ still held his rights next summer and he decided to come back.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Tik wouldn't fall under that transfer rule because he's no longer a draft-rights player. He'll be a UFA next summer.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How does the 10 game ELC trigger work? Can we keep Max Domi on the NHL roster for 20 games, dress him for only nine, and send him back to JR without triggering his first year of ELC? Theoretically he'd have been paid for all 20.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How does the 10 game ELC trigger work? Can we keep Max Domi on the NHL roster for 20 games, dress him for only nine, and send him back to JR without triggering his first year of ELC? Theoretically he'd have been paid for all 20.

It's Actual Games Played.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I do wonder if the Domi camp would be happy to let Max live the NHL life for a 1/4 season, get paid like an NHLer for that time, practice and learn with the NHL team, and get nine actual NHL games under his belt before he was sent down to London just in time to represent Team Canada in his hometown Toronto for the World Junior Championships, and then back to the OHL for the playoff drive, possibly a trade to a contender and one last crack at that cup. Plus, he'd build trust and familiarity with Tippett and his teammates and be a lock next camp. We can rest assured we didn't rush him and were patient.

Or would the Domi camp think we are a bunch of miserly cheapskates willing to do anything, including screwing with Max's development in order to avoid having to burn a year of that precious, cost controlled ELC before he's ready to be truly an impact player for pennies on the dollar?

Would we be slow cooking for optimal results or burning the kid and turning him sour on us?

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I do wonder if the Domi camp would be happy to let Max live the NHL life for a 1/4 season, get paid like an NHLer for that time, practice and learn with the NHL team, and get nine actual NHL games under his belt before he was sent down to London just in time to represent Team Canada in his hometown Toronto for the World Junior Championships, and then back to the OHL for the playoff drive, possibly a trade to a contender and one last crack at that cup. Plus, he'd build trust and familiarity with Tippett and his teammates and be a lock next camp. We can rest assured we didn't rush him and were patient.

Or would the Domi camp think we are a bunch of miserly cheapskates willing to do anything, including screwing with Max's development in order to avoid having to burn a year of that precious, cost controlled ELC before he's ready to be truly an impact player for pennies on the dollar?

Would we be slow cooking for optimal results or burning the kid and turning him sour on us?

If we are not going to give him a regular shift, sending him back would be far more preferable. I don't think his development will benefit any if he is stuck here for no good reason other than being a bench warmer. Giving him a proper season wherever we choose to place him is important at this stage of his development, he should be given a real role and plenty of ice-time either way.

We really don't want to see any more of the Turris / Mueller type of fiasco over again.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The Blues did that with Alex Pietrangelo two years in a row. It seemed like he got a little taste of everything in those two years, and got paid and nice little sum while he developed. I certainly don't think it hurt his development any. Or his long term income earning potential.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
The Blues did that with Alex Pietrangelo two years in a row. It seemed like he got a little taste of everything in those two years, and got paid and nice little sum while he developed. I certainly don't think it hurt his development any. Or his long term income earning potential.

I agree, if he is given plenty of ice time and a real chance to earn a permanent top-9 spot. It's those issues that I'm not confident about, given Tippett has said on record that he won't "develop" players at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad