Coyotes Waiver Status

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
List of the last season Yotes players and prospects will be waiver exempt. This only takes into account # of years, some players might exhaust waiver exemption through games played, but no one is anywhere near that possibility at this time. Overall no impending waiver concerns this season or next.

Last season 2014-2015:
D Gormley, Brandon
F Hodgman, Justin
F Lane, Phil
F Martinook, Jordan
F Shinnimin, B.

Last season 2015-2016:
D Murphy, Connor
D Melindy, James
F Carey, Greg
F Dziurzynski, D.
F Gaudet, Tyler
F Lessio, Lucas
F Rieder, Tobias
G Domingue, Louis
G Lee, Mike
G Visentin, Mark

Last season 2016-2017:
D Hache, Justin
F O'Donoghue, Dan
F Samuelsson, H.

Last season 2017-2018:
F Domi, Max
G Langhamer, Marek

Last season 2018-2019:
F Perlini, Brendan

AHL/Prospects/Potential roster cuts out of waiver exemptions:
D Campbell, Andrew
D Louis, Mark
D McNeill, Patrick
D Reese, Dylan
F Bolduc, Alexandre
F McMillan, Brandon
F Szwarz, Jordan
G McKenna, Mike

As always, let me know if you spot any errors.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Seeing Szwarz and McMillan on the last list makes me like the Dave Moss signing a little less.

Does Gormley still having waiver exemptions make him more vulnerable to whatever rookie-hating tendencies we accuse DT of having?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Seeing Szwarz and McMillan on the last list makes me like the Dave Moss signing a little less.

Does Gormley still having waiver exemptions make him more vulnerable to whatever rookie-hating tendencies we accuse DT of having?

Absolutely.

Schlemko will get more games than Gormley.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
DM may be waiting to shed some contracts (i.e. Korp, Chip, Klink, Moss) during/after camp. DT and DM will better know where the kids stand on development and line chemistries. They may have contingency plans already in place for those contracts with other teams based on their camps. DM has stated in the past that a lot of discussions with other teams are for prepping possible trades if X,Y, and Z happen throughout the season. I'm hoping he can dump those contracts for picks or AHL help if the kids are truly ready. Moss may also have a European out clause in the contract. I know the media had stated his European contract had a NHL out clause so maybe the reverse is true. I too hope for a youth influx. Either we get fast exciting hockey or a better pick in a strong draft.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
DM may be waiting to shed some contracts (i.e. Korp, Chip, Klink, Moss) during/after camp. DT and DM will better know where the kids stand on development and line chemistries. They may have contingency plans already in place for those contracts with other teams based on their camps. DM has stated in the past that a lot of discussions with other teams are for prepping possible trades if X,Y, and Z happen throughout the season. I'm hoping he can dump those contracts for picks or AHL help if the kids are truly ready. Moss may also have a European out clause in the contract. I know the media had stated his European contract had a NHL out clause so maybe the reverse is true. I too hope for a youth influx. Either we get fast exciting hockey or a better pick in a strong draft.
I'm sure that other teams are putting any potential trades on hold at this time of the year until they see how their rosters look like during preseason. I do think all 4 of the players mention will still be Coyotes when the season starts and the only available trades will be sideway-type trades and not worth it and the 4 will have better seasons than last year.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm sure that other teams are putting any potential trades on hold at this time of the year until they see how their rosters look like during preseason. I do think all 4 of the players mention will still be Coyotes when the season starts and the only available trades will be sideway-type trades and not worth it and the 4 will have better seasons than last year.

What is the possibility that we can just trade someone for some low picks? I don't know what our salary cap is like right now, but I wouldn't mind just dumping someone that we want to for a low pick. If the kids are ready, I hope we get to see the kids play. Just hearing the response from this past draft, I'm excited for the future if it pans out.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
What is the possibility that we can just trade someone for some low picks? I don't know what our salary cap is like right now, but I wouldn't mind just dumping someone that we want to for a low pick. If the kids are ready, I hope we get to see the kids play. Just hearing the response from this past draft, I'm excited for the future if it pans out.

Yeah, there are several prime candidates for those. There are a number of teams that still have room, maybe there will be some issues or injuries on their bottom 6 or bottom pairing that crop up between now and start of season, and they would look for cheap replacements.

Phillie fans were interested in getting Klink and Chip for Vinny, possibly with some salary retained for LeCavalier. Buffalo is still looking to fill out roster with some chumps and take on some salaray. Teams like TBL or TML could still use someone like Schlemko, and probably willing to give a 4th for him. Then there are always teams like Edmon/Nash that are looking for miscellaneous pieces to improve different aspects of game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
^ true enough. Fair and rational post. Let things shake out in camp and let the losers hit the waiver wire.

We're we not thinking the same thing last year? How long did he carry 9D?

You can't just 'shed' contracts when teams are mostly set on their roster. Every other team in the league has a few young guys that they are waiting to see on. They'll all want to dump the incumbents too.

I doubt Maloney is going to pay 1 way salaries in the AHL. The kids will have to blow the doors off in camp or wait for a coaching staff favorite to go down with injury. Lessio and Rieder realistically need a look this season so you know what to do with them heading into the summer and the season after that.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
DM may be waiting to shed some contracts (i.e. Korp, Chip, Klink, Moss) during/after camp ... Moss may also have a European out clause in the contract. I know the media had stated his European contract had a NHL out clause so maybe the reverse is true.
First part, I hope so, but I doubt it ... until somebody suffers a rash of injuries, nobody is going to trade us something for Moss, because they could have had him for just his salary 3 weeks ago. Second part, what would a "European out clause" look like? If MODO wants to sign him, he'll leave the NHL and go to Sweden? Is that even a thing? Has anybody ever had one of those in an NHLPA contract ever?
We're we not thinking the same thing last year? How long did he carry 9D?
Until Rundblad and Klesla were traded, right? OEL, Yandle, Z, Morris, Stone, Schlemko, Klesla, Rundblad + Murphy was up in the NHL a lot + Summers was on a 1-way in Portland almost the whole year. That's not "carrying" 9 D but whatev ...
You can't just 'shed' contracts when teams are mostly set on their roster. Every other team in the league has a few young guys that they are waiting to see on. They'll all want to dump the incumbents too. I doubt Maloney is going to pay 1 way salaries in the AHL. The kids will have to blow the doors off in camp or wait for a coaching staff favorite to go down with injury. Lessio and Rieder realistically need a look this season so you know what to do with them heading into the summer and the season after that.
I always forget about Rieder when I'm building my organizational depth chart, and every time I'm reminded about him, the Moss signing makes less and less sense. Man, I really hope Mike Ribeiro screwed up Moss's game last year. And I really hope he finds it again this year.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Has anybody ever had one of those in an NHLPA contract ever?

Tikhonov had an out clause that if he didn't get on the NHL roster he could be loaned to a European club (salary paid by them) instead of reporting to the AHL. I believe the clause was only on a certain year because they had to suspend him for the same thing the following years.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
How do buyouts work in the new CBA? Can we buy out Klinkhammer at any time?

I believe there are 2 dates for Buy Outs and the 2nd one is based on arbitration date (and if the team goes to arbitration).
But buying out a 4th liner who couldn't be effective as a top 9 forward that only makes $650,000 in his last year of his contract?
168 hits, 11 goals, 103 shots, in 818 minutes last season. Not impressive but good enough for a 4th line LWer that's only making $650,000. IMO, he wouldn't make it through waivers without being claimed.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How do buyouts work in the new CBA? Can we buy out Klinkhammer at any time?

Buy-out windows have come and gone.

Regular window: 48 hours after Cup Final until June 30th.

Arbitration window: 48 hours following the settling of the team's last player-elected arbitration case.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hey mouser, I guess this is as good a place as any to ask some new CBA questions with regard to Entry Level players.

If Edgars Kulda doesn't sign a contract with us, at what point does he become UFA?

If we had drafted Dylan Larkin at 12, and he didn't sign, when would he become UFA?

How would this apply to Perlini? Is it any different from Larkin? Or is it just that he'd be too old for the CHL by that point and really have no reason not to sign?

When and why do previously drafted players re-enter the draft?

After watching the Hayes ordeal play out, and with us so bad on paper, I'm wondering if there's any reason for AZ to hesitate in drafting say...Colin White... In the top ten, for example.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Hey mouser, I guess this is as good a place as any to ask some new CBA questions with regard to Entry Level players.

If Edgars Kulda doesn't sign a contract with us, at what point does he become UFA?

If we had drafted Dylan Larkin at 12, and he didn't sign, when would he become UFA?

How would this apply to Perlini? Is it any different from Larkin? Or is it just that he'd be too old for the CHL by that point and really have no reason not to sign?

After watching the Hayes ordeal play out, and with us so bad on paper, I'm wondering if there's any reason for AZ to hesitate in drafting say...Colin White... In the top ten, for example.
We have Kulda's rights for 2 years. Drafting always equals 2 years, except for when a kid goes to the NCAA's, when rights last "however long he's in college + a couple more months."

You have to go back into the draft if you're still a draft-eligible age (19 or 20). I don't know exactly how the 20th year is broken down (ie: months / on what day do we determine your age / etc).

Kulda's 20 now, so we hold his NHL rights until the summer of 2016, at which point he becomes UFA.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Kulda was drafted from major juniors, and considered age 20 by the CBA definitions when drafted as he'll turn 20 before the end of 2014.

The Yotes hold his rights for 2 years--assuming the team makes him a Bona Fide Offer during the 1st year of at least the minimum ELC.

If Kulda were to not sign he would re-enter the draft in 2016 for age 22. Any team re-drafting him in 2016 would hold his rights for one 1 year. Normally players at age 21 (NA) or 22 (EU) aren't draft eligible, unless they were drafted one time previously, which would be the case with Kulda.

Larkin has committed to UMich. Assuming he follows through with that commitment then the team would hold his rights for 4 years. If he leaves school early then his rights are held until June 30th 2018, if he stays in school through his graduation year then until August 15th 2018.

Perlini is already playing in the OHL (major juniors). So the Yotes hold his rights for 2 years--subject to making the Bona Fide Offer during the first year. If he went unsigned then he would re-enter the draft in 2016 and the new drafting team would hold his rights for 2 years.

Players age 21+ from North America or 22+ from outside North America who have never been drafted are no longer subject to the draft and can sign as free agents. Also, players who have been drafted twice are no longer subject to the draft.

Players who have been drafted only one time can be drafted again. Where it gets quirky is when the player's rights expire. Players drafted from major junior and Europe have their rights expire on June 1st, so they can go right back into the upcoming draft. Players from college have their rights expire on June 30th or August 15--after that year's entry draft. Those college players are eligible to be drafted again the following year, however they're also eligible to sign as UFA's. So in practice all the ones that would be worth drafting again are already signed as UFA's, and thus no longer draft eligible by the time the next draft rolls around.

It's still pretty rare to see this happen. And 4 years is a long time to get a prospect signed.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
He's 19, he'll be 20 in November.

If it's always two years than why is Kuznetsov still a Cap?
Because I'm a lazy writer and you ask good questions :laugh:

Kulda was playing in the WHL and for CHL players, it's 2 years. For guys playing in Europe (as Kuznetsov was) it's 4 years.

19/20, my bad, but I don't think it matters because he'll be too old to re-enter the draft either way. Edit: Mouser beat me to it and I was wrong anyway. I'll just stop posting now ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad