Confirmed with Link: Coyotes training camp Sept. 12th - It’s the Premium Countdown.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Training camp is the most dangerous time to be a fan. No matter how bad or mediocre your team is, you have to fight so hard against rising hopes during this time. It’s so easy to confuse being excited for the end of the off-season with being excited for the team.

This is the time of the year where you start to think it’s possible that the “10 Biggest Question Marks Facing My Team” are all going to turn out in the positive. 10/10.

This is the time of year for the Gambler’s Fallacy. We had a bunch of injuries last year, so we will be healthy this year. Stepan and Keller and uncommonly bad seasons last year, so they’re due for big rebounds this year. We’ve had slow starts the last few years. We’re due for a hot start this year. It’s all voodoohoodoo and non-reality.

I can’t help it. My thinking is starting to change.

I’m not thinking we have a flash-in-the-pan, wildly inconsistent goalie, who’s capable of elite play in small stretches every so often and a truly elite goalie who can’t stay healthy for more than three weeks at a time. I’m thinking we have two elite goalies that we can run as a tandem.

I’m not thinking we have an overpaid, aging blueline who failed to contribute offensively last season, and we lost the D coach that helped them limit goals against and gave us an elite PK. I’m instead thinking, The Two Phils are going to unlock our PP and D scoring - OPEN THE FLOODGATES!!!!

I’m not thinking that just way too many things have to go right up front for our forwards to take the next step. Of course Schmaltz will be a healthy top center. Of course Dvorak will show us the offense he demonstrated in juniors. Of course Phil Kessel won’t have a dip in production. Of course Keller will get back to his rookie scoring. Of course Soderberg has one more year in him. Of course Stepan’s poor showing was an aberration and he’ll return to career averages. Of course Grabner and Richardson will recapture the magic. Of course Fischer, Garland and Crouse will take that next step.

It’s mid-September folks! Start planning the Cup parade!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm going to the Peter Frampton concert that night.
"I did a movie with Peter Frampton. He's a musical genius, but I don't listen to his stuff. So I had to continuously try to draw attention away from the fact. 'Hey Peter Frampton! Do you like toast too!? Yes, as do I, it is warm and crispy... and the perfect place for jelly to lay. Now stay the f*** away from me Frampton, I ain't got shit to say to you!'"

Reactions: CC96

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
"I did a movie with Peter Frampton. He's a musical genius, but I don't listen to his stuff. So I had to continuously try to draw attention away from the fact. 'Hey Peter Frampton! Do you like toast too!? Yes, as do I, it is warm and crispy... and the perfect place for jelly to lay. Now stay the **** away from me Frampton, I ain't got **** to say to you!'"

You were in Sgt Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band?

Reactions: CC96

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Kirk will have a big opportunity on a Peterborough team that doesn't have a lot of high-end offense.

Could be an interesting year for Busby as Flint is finally not a shithouse for once.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Busby a bit of a wildcard no? IIRC he was injured like the entire season before he was drafted

He didn't play a full year last year either, no excuses going into this one if he wants a contract.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nice to see Stepan saying the right things. Especially since seeing him actually working out this summer and really appearing to be in much better physical condition this year.

It was frustrating seeing him look like absolute shit physically (he looked like me last season), struggling mightily, and then giving interviews joking about avoiding the gym, guzzling bud lights and taking it easy. Especially when Demers had such a piss poor, toxic attitude about camp last year.

I think Stepan has recommitted himself. It at least looks that way. I’m hopeful for a rebound season from him. I think he lost his way a little, but there are encouraging signs of life.

Reactions: che and CC96

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Biz was commenting on Stepan during the radio broadcast. He'd been to see him play in Da Beauty league and notice a huge change in him.

Reactions: rt

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just go with the simplistic notion that our depth at C, D, and G has never been better and traditionally those teams that had strength in those areas do well.
I have trouble seeing our centers as depth at that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad