Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm mad about both because I like both players and there's a pattern with this team ruining or giving up on it's talented youth. I definitely liked Domi more wanting him to be the captain and all but they have to fix player development. It's completely broke.
I think you are talking more about the management than the players.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Big day today for Dylan Strome today on the big stage of the Winter Classic.

I only saw the 3rd P...Strome looked soft as usual, afraid to take and make a hit.

* looking at his stats; his FO % has declined and his shooting % has improved...near conversely

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wasn't comparing, just throwing out a seemingly interesting find. Re: Schmaltz, hopefully he will put in the necessary work to get his FO % to 50% or better.

Some expressed the same hopes with Galchenyuk. Granted, Schmaltz has less than 200 games under his belt, but so far he's been even worse than Chucky in the dot so far.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
His FO% is still like 50% higher than Schmaltz's.

That's... not much of an accomplishment.

Schmaltz, in my limited sample size watching him now that he plays for us, is fairly good at playing the center position on the ice. He's dreadful at faceoffs. On the other hand, Schmaltz can be played on the wing and still be good. Strome's problem is that deploying him at wing is basically a death sentence. He can only play center.

Reactions: Jormungandr

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's... not much of an accomplishment.

Schmaltz, in my limited sample size watching him now that he plays for us, is fairly good at playing the center position on the ice. He's dreadful at faceoffs. On the other hand, Schmaltz can be played on the wing and still be good. Strome's problem is that deploying him at wing is basically a death sentence. He can only play center.
I would love to have a good C on this team. We don't have one. Richardson has been our best in the dot, and you could argue our best C this year. Let that sink in for awhile. A player who most thought is a 4th liner, getting paid peanuts and more or less fell into our laps.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Just like when Vrbata was our best winger. Not going to win shit with guys like him and Richardson being your top guys. It says more about the rest of the team.

Reactions: CC96

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Kinda funny watching the shifting narrative around Strome around here.

We started with "Sure, he looks a lot better defensively, but he's still too slow and can't play his game and generate offense at this level. That's why he can't get in the lineup, or see top-six PP time. He's a bust."

"They traded him. Bust"

"He's a -X for plus/minus and Chicago is losing games because of the Strome effect. His defense is awful"

"His offense isn't sustainable. He'll be scratched by Feb"

"Ha He was demoted from Kane's line. Told you!"

"Well, he has chemistry with Debrincat, so he's going to put up points. Still demoted."

"He had less than Kane's 24 minutes last night and wasn't double-shifted so he must be demoted again"

"Well, of course, he's still putting up points. He's with Kane."

"He was always going to put up points. He's a disaster in his own end. He's only playing because the coach is desperate"

Our bust who can't generate offense or make our team has 6-7-13 and is -1 in 18 games.
Schmaltz has 5-9-14, -8 in 17 games.

If it's as simple as anyone can put up points with Kane, why did Schmaltz have 2-9-11 -4 in 23 games spent predominantly with Kane this season? Anyone want to compare post-trade team records and plus/minus now, or is that back to being a team stat now that it doesn't support the narrative?

Schmaltz is a streaky, one-dimensional soft winger playing center, and he's Captain Flyby in his own zone.
That doesn't mean he's not a good player. He's extremely talented, and we're not in a position to sit people because they aren't Crosby's, Ovechkins, Marion Hossas, or Selke candidates. I'm glad the staff is willing to overlook defects in some of our players, though their sight seems a bit myopic and "accountability" is only applied to younger players.
Shame we don't have an advanced stat for "gives a #" or maybe we'd be able to assemble a team with fewer passengers. Particularly disappoint ing when the passengers are our leadership core.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Outside of about his first four games, I haven't been overly impressed with Schmaltz. He looks better than most of our forwards, but it's sort of faint praise.
We traded yet another young guy who immediately puts up nice numbers elsewhere, so I think it's fair to ask why Strome never saw that same opportunity here. Amazing what being allowed the rope to play your game and adjust to the game and not have someone in your head second-guessing yourself every shift facing a healthy scratch for each mistake can do for your on ice performance.
How impressed would we be with Schmaltz on the fourth line and limited minutes if we benched him everytime he flies by a puckcarrier and tries a weak pokecheck?

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Good post @_Del_ .

I won't expect Strome in his rookie year to be better than Schmalz. Starting next year I'm pretty confident he'll prove to be the better player and the gap will only widen after that.

Brutal trade. If Chayka can't acknowledge his mistake then he should go.

Just read the Chicago board to see how he's doing. It's the complete opposite of what you will read here. Some people just hated him here for whatever reason. Some just swallow whatever the organization tells them. Those people will just say he gets points because Kane bounces pucks off him. Meanwhile we're still desperate for scoring centers. It's fun to watch him on Chicago. I've watched more Chicago games than I ever have of any other team than the Coyotes this year. Makes it hard to watch our train wreck offense.

Reactions: Jmmack

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Outside of about his first four games, I haven't been overly impressed with Schmaltz. He looks better than most of our forwards, but it's sort of faint praise.
We traded yet another young guy who immediately puts up nice numbers elsewhere, so I think it's fair to ask why Strome never saw that same opportunity here. Amazing what being allowed the rope to play your game and adjust to the game and not have someone in your head second-guessing yourself every shift facing a healthy scratch for each mistake can do for your on ice performance. How impressed would we be with Schmaltz on the fourth line and limited minutes if we benched him everytime he flies by a puckcarrier and tries a weak pokecheck?

This is what I just don't understand. That's the most frustrating part. If I understood the reasoning to not give the kid a shot, maybe it would be easier to accept. When he goes to a team that has won multiple cups pretty recently and goes right to their 2nd line center spot and immediately excels, how can our coach justify not even giving him a game or two with the top offensive line when we absolutely SUCK ON OFFENSE? Makes no sense and there isn't a media person in the state with the sack to ask a few probing questions.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I can’t believe we are still talking about this.

Schmaltz has played better than Strome ever has as a coyote. Move on lol

I have two comments on that.

1) It's been less than two months since we traded our top prospect, who was the highest pick our team has had in the last ten years. The period of mourning is not over yet.

2) This conversation is perfectly suited for the thread that it's contained in. If you've moved on then there's no need to visit this thread.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I've missed three and 2/3 games since the trade. What moose says is sort of true -- he looks night-and-day compared to his time here.
The question is why does he suddenly look so dangerous and like he's growing more comfortable after he gets away from here? Must be the easy matchups the Kane line gets...

Reactions: CC96 and RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Strome is still the same player he was when he was here. Full of potential. He's producing largely because of who he's playing with now. Hopefully that won't always be the case as he was drafted to be a difference maker.

Im pleasantly happy with the play of Schmaltz. I'm surprised more people aren't. It's as if admitting he's an exciting player stops one from painting a narrative.

Reactions: cobra427

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think Strome is still the same player he was when he was here. Full of potential. He's producing largely because of who he's playing with now. Hopefully that won't always be the case as he was drafted to be a difference maker.

Im pleasantly happy with the play of Schmaltz. I'm surprised more people aren't. It's as if admitting he's an exciting player stops one from painting a narrative.

I think everybody has admitted Schmaltz is a good player. Thankfully we got someone good in the trade. It would be a whole lot worse if we just dumped him for futures. It doesn't explain why Strome wasn't given the same opportunity here he's been given with Chicago. You can say it's only because of who he's playing with but wouldn't have been nice to see if he could have developed the same chemistry with Keller? This hockey team needs another actual center that can generate offense. We traded away a #3 pick without letting him try to fulfil the role he was drafted for and has played everywhere else but here.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I have two comments on that.

1) It's been less than two months since we traded our top prospect, who was the highest pick our team has had in the last ten years. The period of mourning is not over yet.

2) This conversation is perfectly suited for the thread that it's contained in. If you've moved on then there's no need to visit this thread.

If using that reasoning we should be mourning since 96. Strome wasnt going to make or break us anyway. We need so much more. Strome is just a blip in a long line of blips.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's totally an exciting player. When he's on, he moves the needle. I've already said we might even "win" this trade. Lots of good players in the league aren't consistently engaged and defensive stalwarts. Good teams manage to use these guys correctly and maximize their impact and minimize the damage. Recognizing what he is isn't calling him a problem (I do sort of see a problem that he is both one of our best forwards and playing C, which is a different conversation).

Strome isn't a complete player or Selke candidate after 66 career games either.

But Schmaltz getting used and being exciting just doesn't make our complete mismangement of Strome any better for me, sorry.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think everybody has admitted Schmaltz is a good player. Thankfully we got someone good in the trade. It would be a whole lot worse if we just dumped him for futures. It doesn't explain why Strome wasn't given the same opportunity here he's been given with Chicago. You can say it's only because of who he's playing with but wouldn't have been nice to see if he could have developed the same chemistry with Keller? This hockey team needs another actual center that can generate offense. We traded away a #3 pick without letting him try to fulfil the role he was drafted for and has played everywhere else but here.
Yeah it's been discussed to death.

Management didn't give him the opportunity. I get it. I agree.

I also don't think he's a top line C. I agree with management on that as well.

I blame the scouts who campaigned for his selection. The player we see / style of play of Strome is the player he was in junior. The fact that they thought they could completely change his game shows a complete misunderstanding on how to draft and develop players. I can't emphasize enough that this was pathetic and every individual responsible should no longer be employed.

Chayka will be judged by a number of things including the eventual full development of Strome. As it stands today I do think Schmaltz with his speed is a better fit with this team which is why I'm not calling for Chayka's head.

I also don't think we need to start a thread about this trade every time someone goes pointless in an outdoor hockey game. Can we review on a more infrequent basis at this point?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I've missed three and 2/3 games since the trade. What moose says is sort of true -- he looks night-and-day compared to his time here.
The question is why does he suddenly look so dangerous and like he's growing more comfortable after he gets away from here? Must be the easy matchups the Kane line gets...
Kane

johnchayka89

Don’t Fail the Plan...
Jun 23, 2018
Scottsdale
www.nhl.com
Strome hasn’t surprised me in Chicago. Kane and Cat are pumping his tires and the fans are drinking the Bowman media Koolaid.

I doubt Chicago will be overly patient with him if he starts to smell like fish. Most likely will inflate his value and flip him for something else... Shmaltz had a slow start this season and they had no problem saying adios amigo.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

He didn't care enough to put effort into things here.

He is putting effort in now, although people have still seen certain pieces to his game that haven't changed (looking soft at times by avoiding physicality). And again, Kane is one of those players that every team will put a little more focus on.

It is like the Cardinals QB situation many years ago - which QB are you going to be more aware of stopping - Kurt Warner or Matt Leinart? Leinart is the one who the Coyotes tend to have - some talent but not dynamic enough. Kane is like Warner where he makes you pay attention to everything a little more, b/c if you relax, he will find ways to make you pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad