TSN: Coyotes @ The WJC - Team Captain and Leading Scorer Strome Fails, USA Prevails

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't get it being insecure for wanting to be known for your own Country?? No one flies the flag more than Americans, is that also insecurity or Pride?

Maybe insecure isn't the best word. I just don't understand Canadians going to an NHL arena (in the states no less) and bringing some big azz flag to flaunt.... for what? Look at us "we're Canadian"? So what, nobody cares.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Me either, I want to *****slap everyone of them that I see doing it. Idiots. I just sit quietly and enjoy the game in someone else's house!!! Even when my lifelong team, Leafs, play here I quietly enjoy them out of respect for the home team.
Maybe insecure isn't the best word. I just don't understand Canadians going to an NHL arena (in the states no less) and bringing some big azz flag to flaunt.... for what? Look at us "we're Canadian"? So what, nobody cares.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
When Memorial Cup was in Saskatoon a few years ago I sat with these two guys from Portland. They were all USA all the time and I bantered back with all Canada all day. We golfed together on off days and went at it for 18 holes every day. It was a fantastic week for all of us. In good fun of course. That's the key to Pride, everyone has it and don't try to bash someone else's Homeland. Respect for the other side.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
American culture overlays everything. I see all the Canadian flag stuff as a means of separating and delineating a distinct culture. Of course, the distinction seems to be lost on everyone except the flag carrier :)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I want to say it was the third, but am not certain. The color man on the NHL Network here in the states went on about it for some time.

That was Barzal not Strome. Some fans criticised Strome for a bad line change on the 1st goal but it was a turnover by the D that allowed the odd man rush to occur.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That was Barzal not Strome. Some fans criticised Strome for a bad line change on the 1st goal but it was a turnover by the D that allowed the odd man rush to occur.

I saw Strome turn it over entering the offensive zone, be it the first, second, third, or fourth goal.

edit: Third goal (Bellows), prior to him scoring Strome caughed up the puck trying to enter the zone with possession, rather than making the safe play - dump in

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd have to watch again to be certain but I don't think that play involved Strome.

Pretty sure that was my pick, Barzal... (who also had less than a stellar night. He played a very "junior" game, imo)

Also, I'm glad Matthews is happy we beat those cursed Canadians ;)

that was Barzal that passed it to Dubois

Yeah I had it wrong, I totally thought it was Strome but it was indeed Barzal. Great...the one thing I was trying to give Strome credit for he didn't even do. He's young and should be fine but because I'm a Coyote fan, I can't help but come away a little worried.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
I thought Strome has had a decent game. He's been pretty good defensively and his passes have been accurate. And to be honest, his skating looks up to par with the rest of the players. He has done a fine job in my opinion.

I haven't noticed Keller as much but he has done some nice things out there too. I don't care what the main board thinks, I think we have a couple really good players in these two.

Really?
I have to disagree with that, he needs to improve his speed, especially the first few strides. I think if he can do that he can keep up but right now he would lose a large majority of foot races from a standing start.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I didn't love moments of Stromes game last night but I thought he was light years better than last year. Low panic threshold and more relaxed game. Didn't try too hard to make things happen. Let the game come to him and displayed some amazing creativity on some setups. Lots of positives. Can't wait for him to add more size. Another year and he will be extremely hard to play against.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Led the team in scoring. Best face off man in the tournament. Is totally useless, will never be an NHL player, the Coyotes never should have drafted him because he never was very good, it was just the McDavid factor.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Led the team in scoring. Best face off man in the tournament. Is totally useless, will never be an NHL player, the Coyotes never should have drafted him because he never was very good, it was just the McDavid factor.

My favorite is someone going out of their way to post on the Coyote board to tell us how awful they thought our prospect was.

Daniel Briere was the 13th forward at Dylan Stromes age. Blake Wheeler had 2 goals zero assists in his world juniors. Strome will be a solid pro who put up points.

Last edited:

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I didn't love moments of Stromes game last night but I thought he was light years better than last year. Low panic threshold and more relaxed game. Didn't try too hard to make things happen. Let the game come to him and displayed some amazing creativity on some setups. Lots of positives. Can't wait for him to add more size. Another year and he will be extremely hard to play against.
I wish I could see what you see but I'm having trouble. The one thing that helps though is that I value and trust your opinion more than I do mine. So I have that.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Let's be honest, 99% of the complaints are coming from Leafs fans who have no motive other than "ha-ha we got marner and u got a bust". Most of Strome's criticisms are grossly exaggerated.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wish I could see what you see but I'm having trouble. The one thing that helps though is that I value and trust your opinion more than I do mine. So I have that.

I think everyone wants to see dash and drive like you saw out of Keller and Barzal. That's the perception of what everyone seems to expect out of a top 3 pick. Problem is that's never been Stromes style and lost in all the style and sizzle of a player like Barzal (who I really liked in his draft year) is they will go through stretches where they skate miles and accomplish nothing. We saw some of that in the quarterfinals for example and even to a lesser extent last night at times with Keller.

Strome plays an efficient game. Contrary to some posters Strome was fairly good defensively. With the exception of the last 5 mins of the 3rd yesterday I don't recall his line gettting hemmed in their own zone very much. Sure not perfect but routinely Strome would effectively move the puck up ice.

In the offensive zone Strome routinely created scoring chances. And by routinely I mean double digit scoring chances produced. There were numerous passes that should have been converted by his linemates. Raddysh missed a glorious feed in semifinal as did Jost who was denied twice in close. Some of his passes were works of art. Nobody seemed to appreciated it though because either the recipient flubbed it or the goalie made a save. I really think the creativity he showed during this tournament was actually under appreciated.

What I didn't love was Canadas coaching to be honest. He apparently went to the Bob Murdock school of just rotating 4 lines and not proactively trying to find matchups. Incredibly frustrating. Not to say US didn't deserve to win because quite frankly they said and when Canada was up 4-2 in the 3rd I thought Canada took their foot off the gas and went to sleep. I also hated putting Strome on the point on PP. I hate that setup and I didn't think that it made sense given how dominant Strome had been playing off the half wall down low.

I do worry about how dependent Strome is one his linemates to be successful. Seems to do great in Erie but playing with Marner was a disaster last year and I didn't see much in chemistry with Jost this year. Jost is a guy who I had ranked ahead of Keller btw. Thought he got worse as tournament progressed (although I'm not posting that on Avs board).

Toss in the faceoff ability and when you see how skinny Strome is during interviews I'm looking forward to him filling out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Strome might be the key to sustainability for the city of Phoenix. His game is all about conservation; of effort, motion, and energy. He does remind me a bit of a younger Wheeler in that regard.

The only thing that gives me pause is that he didn't play 'up' when the gold medal game hit another gear in terms of physicality and effort. He was not as hard on the puck as his teammates. He didn't win a lot of key offensive zone faceoffs.

I appreciate all his little touches into space and his passes, most of which were the best made by any Canadian. A lot of passes into skates and out of reach by everyone, but not Strome. I just need to see more desire out of him along the boards. If Dave Tippett is going to be his coach, he doesn't have a chance in hell with his current play. That's not to say he's useless, but he won't impress coaches that have him under the microscope.

It does look like he needs linemates that are faster and harder on the puck than him, which is fine. Those can be found. But he's not going to do **** with Doan on his wing, or having his linemates change every game.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Strome is appears to be more Ryan Johansen then he is Joe Thornton. That being said that makes him a potentially 60-70 point center when he fully matures.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I really don't see the skating flaws that others see in Strome. I do see the lack of direct grind and attack in his game, which does suck, but in his skating, I see long, fluid strides with strong balance. He isn't speedy but he's agile.

As a Wild fan, watching Mikael Granlund produce without the luxury of physicality or speed, Strome can be as equally productive as Granlund as he has a better shot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think Coyote's fans are hoping for more than Granlund from Strome.
I really don't see the skating flaws that others see in Strome. I do see the lack of direct grind and attack in his game, which does suck, but in his skating, I see long, fluid strides with strong balance. He isn't speedy but he's agile.

As a Wild fan, watching Mikael Granlund produce without the luxury of physicality or speed, Strome can be as equally productive as Granlund as he has a better shot.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Pronham mentions skating but overall I thought his review of Strome was positive. "Played like a top prospect."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad