Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Sign Shane Doan to 1 Year Deal

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
if Jagr can play til he's 45 then Doan can play for 2 more years :laugh:

I am a bit disappointed in the masses. On the main board (unless I missed it), when Jagr resigns for a year, people go OMG! What a hockey God! He's so awesome. Shane Doan has a remarkable year at his age... nadda. Sure Doan is no 44-year-old playing into a season that will go into his 45th birthday, nor did he record 66 points, but he's 39 soon-to-be 40-year-old coming off a 28 goal campaign in 72 games! It's frustrating to see how much traction Jagr gets vs. Doan. I get it he's a better player, but still, having arguably your greatest goal-scoring season (28 in 72 looks nicer than 31 in 82), especially at almost 40... I would think more people would be raving.

Either way, I am impressed and proud of the guy.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No wonder this took so long, this is the weirdest contract I've seen.

So he gets the 3.876etc guaranteed this year, 1.376etc paid in 250k increments until 2022. And potentially 1.126etc in performance bonuses this year. But his cap hit is just 3.876etc, how?

General Fanager says the total value is 5m, but those 3 categories of pay are over that. And the cap hit is quite a bit less than 5m... I don't understand how this works. Why don't other teams do this to pay players more than the cap hit?
http://www.generalfanager.com/players/142 ://

You are allowed to exceed the cap by the amount of performance bonuses, but if a team ends up doing so, the overage is charged against next year. Total nonissue to us as a floor team.

Feb 12, 2003
I heard a Doan interview on NHL radio and he said he thought about asking for a trade when Yandle and Vermette were traded at the deadline. He said it didn't work out with the cap and everything so he decided this was his bed and he was going to lay in it. I thought that was interesting.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I heard a Doan interview on NHL radio and he said he thought about asking for a trade when Yandle and Vermette were traded at the deadline. He said it didn't work out with the cap and everything so he decided this was his bed and he was going to lay in it. I thought that was interesting.

All three (traded) players are exceptional players and people and were here for the good and the bad," Maloney said. "But this isn't a fraternity. We're here to win, and that's why we all get paid. And when you don't win, changes are made. We missed (the Stanley Cup Playoffs) a couple of years ago, we barely missed last year, and this year we missed by a mile and a half. That's not acceptable. We have to change our approach, take a deep breath, look at the teams that win and what it takes to win, and we need more young assets."

"I get it, I understand it, but we're not in the Girl Scout business. We're in the business of winning. That's why we're here, that's why we're getting paid. Shane's a pro, he'll get through it, he'll understand it when he sees where this can take us. We still need leadership and how we're going to play in this organization, but you can't deny that he was pretty shook up the last couple days seeing very good friends and teammates that had survived the ‘war', so to speak, over the last four or five years here. To see them head out the door, it was tough for him."

From our dearly departed GM.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Don Maloney just has off the scales beerability for an executive. A rare and awesome quality of candor, humility, and everymanism. Cool, cool guy.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don Maloney just has off the scales beerability for an executive. A rare and awesome quality of candor, humility, and everymanism. Cool, cool guy.

I would buy him beer all night if it meant just getting random thoughts and stories from his time as a GM.

Honestly if I win the lottery, I offer whatever it takes just to sit and listen at our draft table.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I think he'll be really open to a trade at the deadline if they aren't in playoff contention and the arena issue still hasn't been solved. His mission in AZ is complete at that point.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
That contract seems unnecessarily complex. Has to be for some tax loophole.

What a random number. $3,876,134 in salary and not a penny more!

General Fanager also projects that the performance bonus is a games played bonus.
It's actually quite clever; not sure of the tax ramifications as I am not familiar with Arizona tax codes, but the signing bonus is the net present value of the six $250,000 payments at the LIBOR rate + 1.25% (Looks like they used LIBOR 12 month rate, as the interest rate I get plugging the NPV into my financial calculator is 2.51949%, which is roughly equivalent to LIBOR 12 month + 1.25%).

For those that never took a finance class, basically they took the value of the future payments of $250,000 and brought it into present dollar terms by discounting them at the LIBOR + 1.25% rate of interest so they could account for them in the contract.
I would not be surprised if this type of retirement contract becomes popular around the league (as long as it is actually approved by the NHL Central Registry; not saying that it has not been or will not be, but think back to the Kovalchuk saga, in which the team issued a press release announcing the first contract and the terms were published by cap sites, only to have the contract rejected by the league).

Edit: My interest rate is slightly off, as I forgot to account for the fact that the payments happen a year out and not at the present time, but I have to get up early tomorrow. Only makes a slight difference though.

Last edited:

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
So let me guess some of the bonuses:
Show up for practice - BONUS!!
Score a goal - BONUS!!!
Get an assist - BONUS!!!

I'm sure they have the bonuses for everything - and he deserves every one of them!!!

rt

May 13, 2004
Looks a bit like bending over backward as far as you possibly can to accommodate but not offend your 40yr old legend of a player. Well done Yotes. Mitigate some risk but mostly give everyone the warm and fuzzies.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I think he'll be really open to a trade at the deadline if they aren't in playoff contention and the arena issue still hasn't been solved. His mission in AZ is complete at that point.

Here's the 2016 season for you: Patrik Laine ties Teemu Selanne's 1992/3 record by scoring 76 goals as a rookie, instantly vaulting Winnipeg in to a top seed in the West... Doan is traded at the deadline to the second installment of the team that drafted him. Together they lead the Thrash--i mean Jets to the first Stanley Cup in franchise history. The rights to the film are immediately purchased by John Scott

**** all of that-- if Doan had wanted to be traded it would have happened 2 seasons ago. He's not going anywhere

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
**** all of that-- if Doan had wanted to be traded it would have happened 2 seasons ago. He's not going anywhere

He said he wanted or 'considered' a trade but his cap hit limited his destinations. Coyotes had no retention slots left I believe.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
highlights for those of us at work?

It's pretty wide-ranging. Some great anecdotes about Chris Pronger playing like a d-bag, about Sean Avery being an actual d-bag, some insight on his thought process about nearly retiring but staying on with Domi/Duclair, and how Martinook is the kid who's given him the most good-natured s--t about being old.

Really a surprisingly great interview.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's pretty wide-ranging. Some great anecdotes about Chris Pronger playing like a d-bag, about Sean Avery being an actual d-bag, some insight on his thought process about nearly retiring but staying on with Domi/Duclair, and how Martinook is the kid who's given him the most good-natured s--t about being old.

Really a surprisingly great interview.

Jaffe called Dave Manson "Charlie" about 76 times. Haha.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I own a business in Prince Albert, SK where Manson lives. He is a really nice guy and has a good family. I have reffed his daughter playing soccer for years, she is a really good athlete as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad