Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Sign Shane Doan to 1 Year Deal

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What is deffered payments

Play now, receive check later. So (making stuff up time) say Doan is getting 5m. The coyotes might only be paying 3 of that now and an additional 1m in real dollars to him the next 2 years.

It's what the Diamondbacks did to bankroll their World Series win for example.

I don't know what the specific rules are in the NHL regarding deferred payments but I assume the entire cap hit counts for this year.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Seems reasonable depending on how it's all structured. Deferred payments on a 5M contract? Same club that's buying into an arena, right? No warm fuzzies there.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Deferred payments? Didn't even know that was allowed in the NHL. Is this some kind of joke? Deferred when they're already under the floor. :laugh:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Deferred payments? Didn't even know that was allowed in the NHL. Is this some kind of joke? Deferred when they're already under the floor. :laugh:
More to come? Trouba next?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Percentage in team after retirement?

If the arena thing can work out, the talent pool is starting to be collected. One piece that I will believe with Chayka is that we are going to find ways to make solid investments through the draft process. We came away a much better aligned team for the now and future, and that included selling draft picks for opportunities to improve in free agency. Doan wasn't going anywhere, and frankly that includes from a management perspective, even if it means as a player personnel role once he steps away.

If this is what is meant by deferred payment...

Anyhow, agreed that does seem like a weird choice of words...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
2.5 mil base per Sarah

2.5M base. That's a win for Chayka. The deferred payment bit makes us look like amateur hour (still/again).

Maybe it's just 2.5 this year. Attained bonuses "deferred" to next year and our local writers are just hacks.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Not that it was really ever in question but at least it's done now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
About damn time, but yeah very good news. I wonder if they explain why the deferred payments? Doesn't look good at face value, but maybe they have a good reason that's not "we're broke".

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Deferred payments? Just how poor ARE our owners?

I'm trying to think of a reason other than they are broke for doing this. Maybe they are getting nervous about having room left under the cap with all the dead space committed to retired and bought out guys? Maybe deferring the money gives them wiggle room to move it to next year's cap somehow? Because man, if they are worried about not having enough cash for the payroll this, year they better have that Indian money or pilfered state college funds coming in ASAP.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Maybe Doan requested it, for tax reasons or something. It's probably easier to lower the tax burden with donations if the pay comes in different years. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. When I'm a millionaire I'll come back and share my tax avoision experiences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad