Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Sign Matthias Plachta to a one-year entry-level contract.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He's got size and it sounds like a mean streak so that's good. Can he actually play is the issue.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wonder if this is more a signing for the farm club or they actually expect him to make a run for NHL spot

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Young as he may be, I doubt Plachta would bother leaving home just to play in Springfield for what is likely pay cut. He seems like a meaty bottom line grinder, and I'm hoping he's brought in to replace Moss or Chipchura rather than to fill out the AHL roster or block the ascent of someone like Domi or Duclair. We'll see.

bbcelite

Oct 11, 2009
Bavaria
Plachta had a yery good last year with his team adler mannheim in germany, he won the cup und also had a good WC, was was easily one of the best players on team germany. He protects the puck very well with his big frame 6'2 ~220 lbs and is good along the boards. I hope his game adjusts to the NA game. I guess he is a NHL/AHL tweener ...if he pans out he will be a regular if not ahl fodder...
Very nice signing especially with tobi rieder in the team :yo:

JayTam

Apr 20, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Plachta had a yery good last year with his team adler mannheim in germany, he won the cup und also had a good WC, was was easily one of the best players on team germany. He protects the puck very well with his big frame 6'2 ~220 lbs and is good along the boards. I hope his game adjusts to the NA game. I guess he is a NHL/AHL tweener ...if he pans out he will be a regular if not ahl fodder...
Very nice signing especially with tobi rieder in the team :yo:

Listen to this man, even being form Bavaria, he is right... ;)

You get a good one here, that can fill out a bottom 6 role, after adjusting...

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
for me this has a feel of another Patrick Fischer.
But it's nice to have a guy in the team that shares my hometown :D

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I really liked him with Mannheim and Team Germany, but have never seen NHL talent in him. Hopefully I'm just wrong!

Eagles MA

Sep 9, 2011
Congratulations! :nod:

gross_plachta_150422_1817.jpg

Plachta began the season alongside veteran Glen Metropolit and Jamie Tardif - our "first" line, although we had such forward depth that we could roll 4 pretty equal lines with equal ice time. As a result, scoring was spread out among the team. At first, Matthias benefited from Metropolit's genius playmaking, while sharing the physical play with Tardif whose role was to get in front of the net. As he gained confidence, he started creating his own chances, but the line had to be split up due to minor injuries. He then replaced Jochen Hecht on a line with center Kai Hospelt and speedy winger Jon Rheault, so he had to be the physical guy on that line. They clicked from the start and stayed together for the rest of the season and the play-offs. At the WC, you could really see that he was playing for a contract, in some games he looked like the only guy playing with full effort.

Your organization was probably interested in him as early as last year, as he signed a five year extension in December and our manager signed two German players for next season despite the depth we already had. We'll miss him :( but I'm more happy/excited/proud. I hope he makes the team, although I'm sure he'll start the season on your farm team.

(Btw, European players never make the move to North America to play in the AHL. They can make more money here playing fewer games and traveling a lot less.)

You can see his wrister here and here. If the club makes a highlight reel to bid him goodbye, I'll post it here.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Coyotes seem to have a good portion of the NHL fanbase from Germany. Now all we need to do is sign Thomas Greiss and have a preseason game in Berlin ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad