Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Luke Schenn - 2 years, $1.25m per

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Quick question. Who else have we bought out besides Ribeiro? I'm drawing a blank when thinking of someone else.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Getting a bunch of PK minutes on one of the league's worst PKs is not the same as being an effective PKer. Just tossing that out there.

True, but one man doesn't make a PK or PP. He was put out there for a reason.

Unfortunately that qualifier applies to our few "good" Pkers too :(

Yes, it works both ways.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Quick question. Who else have we bought out besides Ribeiro? I'm drawing a blank when thinking of someone else.

I don't remember anyone else. We were planning on buying out Gagner but ended up moving him for Grossman and Pronger... I think Ribs might be the only one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm saying that can't be concluded by number of minutes played on one of the worst PKs in the league.

What does PK minutes play have anything to do with the PK being good or bad? Z has being a PK for years, and in my opinion has been damn good at it.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Didn't we buy out Dave Scatchard as well? I remember him on the salary chart long after his playing days were over.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
What does PK minutes play have anything to do with the PK being good or bad? Z has being a PK for years, and in my opinion has been damn good at it.

What he's saying is that pk minutes aren't a good indicator of if the player is actually good on the pk. For example player A has tons of pk minutes on the worst pk in the league, and only gets a lot of time because he's the best option they have. Player B has less minutes, but is a better pker, his team just has more and better players who are capable of playing the pk. I don't think he's saying it means Z is a good or bad pker, just saying minutes alone aren't a good stat for measuring a player's pk prowess.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Go back am read the damned initial response if you can't follow along. I'm done with this circular nonsense. Time for a Jake break.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Luke is an upgrade from Grossmann. Luke has a good first outlet pass. He can shoot a little from the point. He is very willing to drop the gloves and looks to utterly erase people on the boards.

His skating is an issue, so he plays like it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What he's saying is that pk minutes aren't a good indicator of if the player is actually good on the pk. For example player A has tons of pk minutes on the worst pk in the league, and only gets a lot of time because he's the best option they have. Player B has less minutes, but is a better pker, his team just has more and better players who are capable of playing the pk. I don't think he's saying it means Z is a good or bad pker, just saying minutes alone aren't a good stat for measuring a player's pk prowess.

He was talking about one player. Z has been on the PK for years on different teams. If it was a two year span I would agree with you, but over a decade of proven PK your argument does not hold water.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He was talking about one player. Z has been on the PK for years on different teams. If it was a two year span I would agree with you, but over a decade of proven PK your argument does not hold water.
It's not my argument I'm attempting to break down the idea for you. He's not saying Z is good or bad, he's strictly talking about the measurement (pk minutes played).

He's saying that's not a good measure of a player's pk ability. There could be a team with crappy pkers who has someone who isn't good at it play lots of minutes.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Our team sure can use some of that kind of talent.

Exactly. That's why I like this signing even if he turns out to be a total non factor because some of the younger guys step up sooner than expected. I see him as a Z replacement. I don't see why he can't fill the ever declining role Z had defensively and he brings a physical element that Z never had which is what this team sorely lacks. It's a low cost role of the dice on a guy with a lot of experience but who is still only 26. If it allows them to move Z, even better.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
He's only 26, whats to say he can't work on his skating and become faster? Hopefully our management and coaching staff can work on his skating and he gets better overall.

Many of you have been preaching posession but I'm still a huge fan of the stay-at-home style of defense. They make fantastic partners for those who move the puck.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I am relatively happy with this considering the contract. I think Schenn will do fine in his role and his physicality will be better than Michalek or Grossman.

The key will be to find the correct LD partner for him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's only 26, whats to say he can't work on his skating and become faster?

Common sense. He has played in over 500 games. If he was able to improve his skating, he would have. He wouldn't be forced to sign a 'stay in the league' deal at age 26.

He will need to have great positioning and a partner that he plays well with to be an effective defender.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Common sense. He has played in over 500 games. If he was able to improve his skating, he would have. He wouldn't be forced to sign a 'stay in the league' deal at age 26.

He will need to have great positioning and a partner that he plays well with to be an effective defender.

He may be an incremental upgrade, but he is an upgrade nonetheless. And for a very good price. Consider the need for someone on our third pairing to actually do some hitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad