Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Luke Schenn - 2 years, $1.25m per

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Common sense. He has played in over 500 games. If he was able to improve his skating, he would have. He wouldn't be forced to sign a 'stay in the league' deal at age 26.

He will need to have great positioning and a partner that he plays well with to be an effective defender.

He may be an incremental upgrade, but he is an upgrade nonetheless. And for a very good price. Consider the need for someone on our third pairing to actually do some hitting.

Agreed. This signing has both pro and cons. He is young, cheap, short term, durable, hits like a truck and good on the PK. What I have read is he is slow and that is about the only negative about him that I can find, but maybe there are more. I guess my concern is if foot speed is his only downfall, why was he so cheap to sign? Is there something that I'm missing?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Reading the Schenn presser, GMJC still is talking about adding more new faces.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Agreed. I guess my concern is if foot speed is his only downfall, why was he so cheap to sign? Is there something that I'm missing?

I would guess it's because speed just won the Cup. If size would have won, he'd have most likely been in higher demand. We see this year after year. It's the same reason so many here are skeptical. Schenn has a place and can provide value if utilized correctly. I've always been a proponent of "speed kills", but that doesn't mean that a slower player can't provide value with a strong positional game. The positional game is ever present anyhow - speed or no speed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would guess it's because speed just won the Cup. If size would have won, he'd have most likely been in higher demand. We see this year after year. It's the same reason so many here are skeptical. Schenn has a place and can provide value if utilized correctly. I've always been a proponent of "speed kills", but that doesn't mean that a slower player can't provide value with a strong positional game. The positional game is ever present anyhow - speed or no speed.

I agree, and I have to admit I have not followed Schenn's career at all, only what posters say, which is probably the wrong thing to do.:) Schenn does bring toughness, but man his advanced stats are not good.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

While I agree that, all things being equal, speed wins, you have to admit that Pittsburgh wasn't just a fast team, it was an unbelievably talented team, with three solid scoring lines. They not only had more speed than San Jose, they had a lot more talent in lines 2 and 3.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
While I agree that, all things being equal, speed wins, you have to admit that Pittsburgh wasn't just a fast team, it was an unbelievably talented team, with three solid scoring lines. They not only had more speed than San Jose, they had a lot more talent in lines 2 and 3.

Never said they weren't talented.... deeply talented.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
tanner said:
Opening night roster:
OEL - Schenn
Goligoski - Dangelo
Chychrun - Michalek​

Ummm, okay. I doubt Chychrun or DeAngelo make the opening night roster unless they do quite well at camp

I also agree that Murphy is worse than Schenn :shakehead

Sigh, blogs are totally uninteresting to me.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I don't see the point of predicting the pairing. Under DT lines are constantly tweaked and often fully scrambled. I swear sometimes he just pulls names out of hat and pairs them in the order they are picked.

Aside from OEL being #1 D, the rest of the line up is completely unpredictable.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Agreed. This signing has both pro and cons. He is young, cheap, short term, durable, hits like a truck and good on the PK. What I have read is he is slow and that is about the only negative about him that I can find, but maybe there are more. I guess my concern is if foot speed is his only downfall, why was he so cheap to sign? Is there something that I'm missing?

Hes just not a very good hockey defenseman in general. I mean yes his speed kinda sucks, but he just doesn't generate much offense and his defense leaves alot to be desired. Just doens't make good decisions and he can't use skating to cover them up like some of the other bottom 4 dmen can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00