Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Logan Cooley to 3-year ELC ($995k cap hit, $4.45M AAV w/bonuses)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Remember when we were fighting with each other and especially fighting with other fan bases about the type of return Chychrun would fetch? For more than a year. Meanwhile the team was tank-worthy.

That’s long gone and there’s better times ahead.

Cooley is gonna be electric.
Guenther is gonna rip a lot of goals.
Hayton is gonna prove himself as a top 2-way Center.
Ingram is gonna challenge Veggie for more starts.
Soderstrom is gonna show that he was worth the wait.
Moser is gonna eat those top pair minutes and matchups and look quietly comfortable while doing it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Remember when we were fighting with each other and especially fighting with other fan bases about the type of return Chychrun would fetch? For more than a year. Meanwhile the team was tank-worthy.

Moser is gonna eat those top pair minutes and matchups and look quietly comfortable while doing it.

Remember when our best player was Justin Hodgman?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I fully understand what it takes to be an NHL talent because I didn't have what it took. It's hard, like the hardest thing I've ever taken on and I failed, to the point where I'll never realize a 14 year goal. I'm not the only kid to go through that, where their life blood was wrapped up in the game but allowed distractions to slow them down to a point where they didn't even get close. Im 35 and still beat myself up for it, I get what it takes.

I'm also not saying Cooley will end up with Keller and Schmaltz to start. My point is it may not be bad developmentally if his ice time/mental side is properly managed. It's about letting him play with prime skill players and develop confidence through scoring opportunities. He'll get more of those with Keller and Schmaltz than he will with Zucker or whomever they set him up with.
We have to keep in mind that lines are first figured out based on D assignments. line 1 will get the toughest assignments on D, then line 2, etc... It is hard to have 2 very young forwards play against the other teams top 2 lines, they will get exposed. I think Guenther and Cooley will not be on the top line for D reasons, they will be mixed on lines 3/4, maybe some line 2 play, with 2 other defensively responsible players. This will shelter them, Cooley could get wing time for this reason. Once they show they can play good enough D, one or both could be on line 2. I don't see the top line changing, Hayton/Schmaltz/keller are all good 2 way players.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I really like this idea of Crouse with Cooley. And I think Zucker could play the Crouse role on the Maccelli line.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Zucker-McBain-Maccelli
Crouse-Cooley-Kerfoot
Carcone-Bjugstad-Guenther

We can complain about Guenther on the “4th line” but if it’s got Bjugstad as the center is it really the 4th line? I imagine lines 2-4 there are wholly interchangeable and would totally roll. And that’s ESPECIALLY true if we sit Carcone and run 11F 7D most games. That allows Keller, Maccelli, Zucker and Crouse to double shift in that slot. Or even Kerfoot when leading or in the D zone.

Tourigny coached Bahl and Okhotyuk when they played in the OHL for the 67’s.
After NJ traded Okhotyuk to the Sharks, I don't think we have a chance with getting Bahl back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That ass Eklund is saying that Cooley was signed so we can trade him. Where do these guys come up with this shit? This whole world lives, and most times believes all this misinformation. The internet damage runs deep.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That ass Eklund is saying that Cooley was signed so we can trade him. Where do these guys come up with this shit? This whole world lives, and most times believes all this misinformation. The internet damage runs deep.

Eklund is a walking click bait machine. He comes up with these outrageous takes just to get clicks to visit his website.

Unfortunately there are enough gullible loons out there who will buy into his crap.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I was thinking about it, and there is no reason Cooley shouldn't be centering Keller and Schmaltz. Put him with our best duo and see if they build chemistry. Just dont play him all 82 games, maybe give him 60ish due to the minutes he'd be getting.
I have one reason - size - there just isn’t enough of it. Could add grit, but that would be two reasons.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Eklund is a walking click bait machine. He comes up with these outrageous takes just to get clicks to visit his website.

Unfortunately there are enough gullible loons out there who will buy into his crap.
All this BS was limited to politicians in the past. The internet has proved how gullible society really is.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Anyone have an updated height for Cooley? Or is he still listed as 5’10?

Also congrats on signing him!
He was 5’10.75 at the combine. I’d bet any amount of money he’s 5’11 now.

Also, he had an insane wingspan at the combine. Standard wingspan of a 6’4 or 6’5 player. Pure orangutan arms. Knuckle dragger.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Larry Brooks made up some claim that Coyotes players were complaining to the PA about things last season which Craig called him out on. Turned out to be BS. Bad news pertaining to the Coyotes gets big clicks $$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The thing is, gullibility is easily monetizable if you have no ethics or scruples. And man, are there ever a lot of people without principles these days.
If people would just use their brain, just a little, they would be able to identify most of the misinformation from the media and the like.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
J53, you're asking a lot, "People using their brain?" That would be a real stretch for some people...

Reactions: Jakey53

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Some of you have Cooley centering the first line. I really don't see how that happens. Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz was one of the best lines in the entire NHL in the second half of the season. Hayton finally found his game. In my mind, there is no way they throw that away, at least not to start the season. The chemistry they had was insane - the Yotes truly have a real NHL top first line in those three in my eyes.

Cooley will fit in the middle 6 depending on who he plays with (I'd give him at least one veteran like Crouse, Zucker, Kerfoot).

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Some of you have Cooley centering the first line. I really don't see how that happens. Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz was one of the best lines in the entire NHL in the second half of the season. Hayton finally found his game. In my mind, there is no way they throw that away, at least not to start the season. The chemistry they had was insane - the Yotes truly have a real NHL top first line in those three in my eyes.

Cooley will fit in the middle 6 depending on who he plays with (I'd give him at least one veteran like Crouse, Zucker, Kerfoot).
The way I look at it is Cooley will be the center on the top line with what may be 4th line minutes until he gets his feet wet. Hopefully Crouse will be his LW.
The other top line will be Keller Hayton Schmaltz and then there is the back up Top Line with Maccelli and Zucker.
Semantics has no place in Coyotes Hockey!
No reason to put Cooley and Keller together because you want a play driver on each line and we have the additional benefit of having a sheriff to protect our future franchise player. The whole object to our offense is to be overwhelming.
It would be more beneficial to have teams that can't match up to all 4 lines.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
The way I look at it is Cooley will be the center on the top line with what may be 4th line minutes until he gets his feet wet. Hopefully Crouse will be his LW.
The other top line will be Keller Hayton Schmaltz and then there is the back up Top Line with Maccelli and Zucker.
Semantics has no place in Coyotes Hockey!
No reason to put Cooley and Keller together because you want a play driver on each line and we have the additional benefit of having a sheriff to protect our future franchise player. The whole object to our offense is to be overwhelming.
It would be more beneficial to have teams that can't match up to all 4 lines.

I personally would love to see a line of Crouse - Cooley - Guenther.

The best lines in hockey stay together for years, all these guys are young, and if Cooley / Guenther have chemistry, maybe Guenther gets to 40G (or more) every year. My guess is Crouse would be physical enough to keep those other two guys safe (at least I hope so).

Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Crouse - Cooley - Guenther

Is more than a good enough top six. Esp with But on the way and guys like McBain / Zucker / Kerfoot who are well deserving of minutes (probably more than a typical bottom six would allow)

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I personally would love to see a line of Crouse - Cooley - Guenther.

The best lines in hockey stay together for years, all these guys are young, and if Cooley / Guenther have chemistry, maybe Guenther gets to 40G (or more) every year. My guess is Crouse would be physical enough to keep those other two guys safe (at least I hope so).

Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Crouse - Cooley - Guenther

Is more than a good enough top six. Esp with But on the way and guys like McBain / Zucker / Kerfoot who are well deserving of minutes (probably more than a typical bottom six would allow)
Definitely would be interesting to have a look.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Maccelli-McBain-Zucker
Crouse-Cooley-Guenther
Carcone-Bjugstad-Kerfoot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad