Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Kuemper to two year extension, $4.5m AAV

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I had looked at our budget for next year in the roster discussion thread and speculated that we'd keep both and Raanta and Kuemper. While we could still trade one, I think we keep both for next season. Now we just gotta resign Hinostroza and all our key pieces will be signed for next, might even be able to squeeze in Soderberg too.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think that the extension is exactly what I said it was a few months ago - we are going to make a long-term decision between Raanta and Kuemper very soon.

Like, before the beginning of next year, one will not be on our team. I believe that if Hill is upset about anything, it was that the team added Comrie as insurance. I get where Hill is coming from, yet I also believe that Hill will be at his best getting a ton of shots in Tucson, and not getting two starts every 5-6 games as a backup for a short period of time. Eventually, the cream will rise to the top, and I think that we will see a breakdown where the goalie order is:
Kuemper
Raanta
Hill
Comrie

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Hill is probably disgruntled. Chayka has also recently made comments that they’d be adding a D to the roster very soon. That might just be Lyubushkin or Capobianco. He might mean trade.

Yeah that was the Capo call up

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Hill is probably disgruntled. Chayka has also recently made comments that they’d be adding a D to the roster very soon. That might just be Lyubushkin or Capobianco. He might mean trade.
This seems to be the case. Makes more sense today.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Suspect that Lybushkin didn’t arrive to camp in shape.

Possible. Usually, within the first couple of days of camp, a conditioning test is done, in addition to all of the normal measurements. I recall that in my lacrosse days, the requirement was that you had to run 4 gassers, which consisted of a lap around the field within a certain time frame, with periods of rest in between. The first and second ones were easy - it was the 3rd and 4th where you were able to see who was:
a) really in shape
b) in shape, but not necessarily exceeding expectations
c) out of shape

I can imagine that every year, about 10-15% of rosters have someone falling into categories B and C. Whether it was self-inflicted (player's fault for not paying attention to the program) or an issue because of late season surgery that prevents someone from skating/movement until close to the start of camp is where coaches and the training staff make decisions about where a player is at. Remember, it can take up to 4 months to get into shape, especially if no activity is done. Probably closer to 3 months, which is why you see players taking the month of May off if not in postseason, and usually are right back into it June 1st. This way, you are ready to go for camp if you are pushing yourself. Most people don't know how to push themselves past their limits, though, unless training with others.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think there’s at least a 50% chance that Kuemper regresses to his mean.

I think there’s at least a 50% chance Raanta’s injuries leave him as fairly worthless.

That leaves us with two boat anchor contracts next season if we are unlucky.

I’m starting to wrap my head around the insurance policy here. If both guys are solid this season, you can trade one. If either had a tough year for whatever reason, you’ll be glad you have. both. If both blow it, we’d have been screwed anyway.

Going off your 50% chance stuff above it also means there's only a 25% chance both blow it so not a bad gamble considering it's far more likely* one of the other scenarios pan out.

*discounting the Coyote effect of course

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think so if you take the two moves at face value. Kuemper was set to be lost after this season, now he is under team control. Raanta can't stay healthy so it makes sense to get control on Kuemper.

If Raanta really isn't in game shape then it also makes sense to carry another goalie so that Raanta isn't thrown in cold to a game he isn't ready for. Call it a 700k healthcare plan.
Why not use Hill? I don't see the reason why we wasted a contract on Comrie. What am I missing? Could it be something to do with how many games Hill has played in the NHL?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Why not use Hill? I don't see the reason why we wasted a contract on Comrie. What am I missing? Could it be something to do with how many games Hill has played in the NHL?

We want Hill to see a lot of shots. The best way to do that is keep him in the AHL. Hill is not ahead of either Raanta or Kuemper at this point. Only when both are out is he our best option.

So, keep Hill in Tucson while Comrie is our guy who we sit in the press box when both are healthy. If we can guarantee long-term health for Raanta and Kuemper, then maybe we cut/waive/release Comrie during the year.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Best case scenario in my eyes is both guys play at the top of their game all season. Then we trade one at the deadline with another player/pick or two for a huge scoring upgrade in the tip six.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Best case scenario in my eyes is both guys play at the top of their game all season. Then we trade one at the deadline with another player/pick or two for a huge scoring upgrade in the tip six.
It sure you do that at the deadline. What if the guy you keep gets hurt? I think that’s more of a trade you do in the off-season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We want Hill to see a lot of shots. The best way to do that is keep him in the AHL. Hill is not ahead of either Raanta or Kuemper at this point. Only when both are out is he our best option.

So, keep Hill in Tucson while Comrie is our guy who we sit in the press box when both are healthy. If we can guarantee long-term health for Raanta and Kuemper, then maybe we cut/waive/release Comrie during the year.
Raanta is going to Tucson for conditioning so Hill won't get playing time there. He may as well be with the main club and then switch with Raanta when he is ready to return. Either way he is sitting on the bench. Also, if Raanta or Kuemper get hurt, Tucson is only a couple of hours away. Makes no sense to claim Comrie and waste a contract, unless something is going on behind closed doors.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It sure you do that at the deadline. What if the guy you keep gets hurt? I think that’s more of a trade you do in the off-season.
It will depend where we on in the standings.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Raanta is going to Tucson for conditioning so Hill won't get playing time there. He may as well be with the main club and then switch with Raanta when he is ready to return. Either way he is sitting on the bench. Also, if Raanta or Kuemper get hurt, Tucson is only a couple of hours away. Makes no sense to claim Comrie and waste a contract, unless something is going on behind closed doors.

It doesn’t matter. Hill is the defacto #3 and would be sitting on the bench no matter what. Only difference is in which uniform he puts on.

Coyotes get a free look at a goaltender prospect for a bargain basement price. But their ass is also covered in the meantime.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So with Raanta on a conditioning stint and Hill recalled, who is the backup? Hill or Comrie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad