Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Kuemper to two year extension, $4.5m AAV

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Smart deal. Darcy earned it. Also, 4 years and $1.3M/AAV less than the Mike Smith deal 6 years ago.

Reactions: CC96 and Mosby

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It definitely feels like there's gonna be a trade of some sorts

I don't think so if you take the two moves at face value. Kuemper was set to be lost after this season, now he is under team control. Raanta can't stay healthy so it makes sense to get control on Kuemper.

If Raanta really isn't in game shape then it also makes sense to carry another goalie so that Raanta isn't thrown in cold to a game he isn't ready for. Call it a 700k healthcare plan.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Good news, Raanta definitively gonna win the Vezina the way we all harass him. :naughty:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don’t know what to make of this. What the hell? Is Raanta retiring?

Signing Raanta gives the team more flexibility next summer, especially if both have good seasons, or if Kuemper has another good season while Raanta struggles to stay healthy.

It's a no brainer move. I don't understand all the pale faces.

Reactions: RABBIT

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Signing Raanta gives the team more flexibility next summer, especially if both have good seasons, or if Kuemper has another good season while Raanta struggles to stay healthy.

It's a no brainer move. I don't understand all the pale faces.
I think there’s at least a 50% chance that Kuemper regresses to his mean.

I think there’s at least a 50% chance Raanta’s injuries leave him as fairly worthless.

That leaves us with two boat anchor contracts next season if we are unlucky.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think there’s at least a 50% chance that Kuemper regresses to his mean.

I think there’s at least a 50% chance Raanta’s injuries leave him as fairly worthless.

That leaves us with two boat anchor contracts next season if we are unlucky.

Kuemper's mean is replacement level starter, of which $4.5m is market price. Not a big deal.

You wouldn't like the options (trade, bad UFA signing, UFA gamble on a nobody) without Kuemper signed any better.

rt

May 13, 2004
Kuemper's mean is replacement level starter, of which $4.5m is market price. Not a big deal.

You wouldn't like the options (trade, bad UFA signing, UFA gamble on a nobody) without Kuemper signed any better.
I’m starting to wrap my head around the insurance policy here. If both guys are solid this season, you can trade one. If either had a tough year for whatever reason, you’ll be glad you have. both. If both blow it, we’d have been screwed anyway.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I don’t know if it’s jumping to conclusions too much here or just following the reasonable logic, but this has to be related to Hill not practicing for an unspecified reason that Tocchet didn’t want to talk about right? Did he hear about Darcy’s deal and realize that with him under contract for three more years and Raanta another two, that he would not have any opportunity for at lest two more years barring major injury? Was he pissed about it and asked to be sent elsewhere for an opportunity...feeling like he has played well enough last year and in camp to warrant it? Then not even what, two days later we claim Comrie? I dunno man....it’s weird to say the least.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t know if it’s jumping to conclusions too much here or just following the reasonable logic, but this has to be related to Hill not practicing for an unspecified reason that Tocchet didn’t want to talk about right? Did he hear about Darcy’s deal and realize that with him under contract for three more years and Raanta another two, that he would not have any opportunity for at lest two more years barring major injury? Was he pissed about it and asked to be sent elsewhere for an opportunity...feeling like he has played well enough last year and in camp to warrant it? Then not even what, two days later we claim Comrie? I dunno man....it’s weird to say the least.
This is probably it. This makes sense. Hopefully we can get something good for Hill. Maybe Hill for POJ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad