Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign F Josh Doan to 3-year ELC

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is gonna sound stupid, but as a parent, this disappoints me. Why not stay and finish your college education? I thought the Doans were smarter than that. Josh is clearly not NHL-ready, and arguably not even AHL-ready. ASU being a weak team would matter more to me if I were angling to look better in the Draft.

It's his choice, of course, and I hope it works out for him.
It's not stupid to wish for your child to be educated. It is, however, short sighted to conflate education with success. I had 11 years of training post high school before earning above food stamps level. If Josh is an average NHL player, he will earn more income in 8 years than I would in 20 years as a pediatrician.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Feck, this is ASU we're talking about. It's not Harvard or Cornell, and also he can finish his degree in 20 years or whatever, plenty of people do. Might give him something to focus on instead of being a depressed 39 year old when his hockey career's over.

Look, I used to dump on ASU with the best of them back in the day, but after one of my daughters went there for a semester, I changed my outlook. And they have one of the best j-schools in the world there.

Also, I am not sure that Josh Doan will have that long of a pro career, but that's another thread.

The Doan's are doing what's best for Josh. They know what they are doing.

Well, let's be frank - this is Josh's decision, not his family's.

Doan and his three siblings will also inherent like 60 mil. Where’s the motivation for school?

I always believed it was self-improvement rather than earning potential.

I have put three kids through college as a parent, and my youngest is headed to college to study neuroscience after she graduates this spring. So I have a bit of a different perspective on the matter than a hockey family would.

Reactions: Summer Rose

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Fair point, thx for the pushback. It wasn't my intention to disrespect ASU but after re-reading my post I clearly misspoke and you are in the right.

That said, even if Josh Doan was in Barrett (I don't think he was but not sure...?), nothing wrong with putting your career before a college education, esp if you can finish that college education after you finish your career and your career won't be affected by getting or not getting a college degree anyway. That is / was my main point.

Either way thx again for pushing back on my post, very much appreciated from over here. Either way hope Josh Doan becomes a key part of our future in the years to come
I agree, for someone with a shot at a pro sports career, the window is short and you can always go back to school. Waaaayyyy back when I was in high school, I played baseball against a couple kids a few towns over that ended up getting drafted in the 2nd round of the MLB draft. They didn't have agents, but one of the dads was an attorney and had it written into their contracts that the teams were on the hook for 4 years of college if the kids didn't make the majors. Super smart way to do it, as the percentage of kids who make it to The Show is pretty small.

And with Doan as his last name, even if he never plays an NHL game, he can finish school and has a foot in the door to get a job in hockey somewhere afterward.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This is gonna sound stupid, but as a parent, this disappoints me. Why not stay and finish your college education? I thought the Doans were smarter than that. Josh is clearly not NHL-ready, and arguably not even AHL-ready. ASU being a weak team would matter more to me if I were angling to look better in the Draft.

It's his choice, of course, and I hope it works out for him.
I think colleges will still be around, be it after a long career, or a short one.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Reading through this a little, couldn't he do online courses while travelling with the roadrunners, and doing courses on the side? It's kind of just like someone getting their degree while working full time. I would spend my day working on my day to day job, then in the evening/weekends I would focus on school work/papers I needed to write. Who's to say he won't do something like that?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Reading through this a little, couldn't he do online courses while travelling with the roadrunners, and doing courses on the side? It's kind of just like someone getting their degree while working full time. I would spend my day working on my day to day job, then in the evening/weekends I would focus on school work/papers I needed to write. Who's to say he won't do something like that?

He could, but only if he A) enjoys it or B) really wants a degree for reasons outside hockey. No reason to earn a degree if your career aspirations are as a professional hockey player...and there's a realistic chance it will happen.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
He could, but only if he A) enjoys it or B) really wants a degree for reasons outside hockey. No reason to earn a degree if your career aspirations are as a professional hockey player...and there's a realistic chance it will happen.

I get that. And you kind of pounded home in your last point, it's up to him what he wants to do. He will never really have to worry about money. He could very well, if he makes it as an NHL player or not, wind up in hockey some other way, that wouldn't need a college degree either. I'm sure whatever he decides, finishing college or not, he will be successful.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I’m pretty nuetral on a college education. There are many that are worthwhile and many that arent. But that said, its seems like happiness, enjoyment, challenge, family and love are all independent of, and, to me at least, more meaningful than a college degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad