Post-Game Talk: Coyotes @ Sens Jan. 31

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You don't see those kind of hip checks as much anymore in today's game

Just another reason the Sens need to sign Methot. Thats entertaining **** right there.

I'll be pissed if they don't bring him back.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Suddenly Methot has a ton of leverage, and you can bet his agent will use it. He'll basically get what he was looking for, a 5x5 kind of deal. Really, what option do the Sens have? That's the going rate for a top pairing veteran defenceman. He either gets it from us, or from someone else. They simply can't afford to let him walk for nothing, or trade him for a handful of magic beans at the deadline. That would be a huge step backwards...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
lol wow....had to turn off the game just before the guys went ahead 2-1....must've been one hell of a great 3rd period to end up 7-2.

Nice too see a blowout score and guy like Ryan, Ziby and Erik have multipoint games. Well done!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Legwand had a very nice game. Won some important face offs and of course set up a couple of timely goals. He may not be want we were hoping for but he has a role to play for this team.

Now if Legwand's going to play with Michalek and Stone we need to do something about our 4th line. Condra - Pageau - Neil was a mess. Maybe it works better if Chiasson daws back in for Neil, but I'm also not so sure about Lazar on the Turris line.

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Heard people on the radio one day calling in and wondering if they are rushing Lazar. I don't know if they are, but could they have sent him to the echl or does that league have the same age restrictions as the AHL?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Heard people on the radio one day calling in and wondering if they are rushing Lazar. I don't know if they are, but could they have sent him to the echl or does that league have the same age restrictions as the AHL?

echl is the feeder clud to bingo. I dont even know if ottawa can directly send player from the NHL to the ECHL. Regarless.... the ECHL is a poor league and i imagine its players have it pretty bad down there. I believe its either NHL or WHL for Lazar atm but thats an interesting idea to send him to the ECHL.

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
echl is the feeder clud to bingo. I dont even know if ottawa can directly send player from the NHL to the ECHL. Regarless.... the ECHL is a poor league and i imagine its players have it pretty bad down there. I believe its either NHL or WHL for Lazar atm but thats an interesting idea to send him to the ECHL.
Not sure how poor it is when u see a player like mitch Holmberg who lead the WHL in scoring last year struggling to put up pts in that league.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Not sure how poor it is when u see a player like mitch Holmberg who lead the WHL in scoring last year struggling to put up pts in that league.

I think the quality of life in the ECHL is probably poor and to my knowledge its not a very high scoring league. Its hard to put up good numbers.

I have no idea who mitch holmberg is. I imagine he led the WHL in scoring as an overager, is small, poor skater and or lacks two way ability. You usual end up in the ECHL if theres some major deficiency in your game.

Goalie perspective
http://ingoalmag.com/general/how-do-the-nhl-ahl-and-echl-differ-a-goalies-perspective/

Found this article on the ECHL. Interesting that ECHL teams dont care about developing players like the AHL. They focus on winning and making profit

Skater Perspective
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blo...he-hockey-lifestyle-changes-at?urn=nhl-wp9574

Im not sure its the best idea to send you're prized prospect to the ECHL. I would almost think Lazar rather be in the WHL

Last edited:

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Cool article. Good to hear from that perspective. Yeah echl pretty much have to focus on profit and icing a good team more than developing players because of the smaller markets that they play in. Still a lot of overlooked players have come out of that league too like Burrows and Ryder just off the top of my head. Maybe Holmberg could be another one eventually as well.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Suddenly Methot has a ton of leverage, and you can bet his agent will use it. He'll basically get what he was looking for, a 5x5 kind of deal. Really, what option do the Sens have? That's the going rate for a top pairing veteran defenceman. He either gets it from us, or from someone else. They simply can't afford to let him walk for nothing, or trade him for a handful of magic beans at the deadline. That would be a huge step backwards...

Nobody needs a Methot more than us. Hope they can figure something out

Heard people on the radio one day calling in and wondering if they are rushing Lazar. I don't know if they are, but could they have sent him to the echl or does that league have the same age as the AHL?
Whether he is being rushed is debatable. I don't think so, he's having an amazing development year. Doesn't need to be putting up big numbers, they will come

But ECHL was not an option. It's not an age restriction, its a chl rule to protect their players.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
11 points behind Washington with 1 game in hand.

12 points behind Boston with 2 games in hand.

We have 34 games remaining. I kind of got hope from the Leafs game and then gave up after Dallas... But we still do have a chance. We are a lot closer to the middle of the pack teams then the bad teams. We have lost so many 1 goal games, maybe the odds of the hockey gods will give us some puck luck and even out with being kind of unlucky so far this year.

1) We have an even goal differential. The only non-playoff team with a better goal differential is LA who are +2. We are 18th of 30 teams.

2) Since the coaching change we have played better then before, even if we are not really seeing that in the results. Ryan and Zibby are on fire. Karlsson is like he was pre-Achilles, Pageau has come into the lineup and really helped on faceoffs, PK and in just making another effective line. Methot actually playing is huge.

3) 34 games is quite a long period of games. Win 22 if them and have a playoff team falter and the Panthers slow down and we could make the playoffs.

So I still have some faint hope of us making the playoffs. We really need to keep winning now.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
How did any of you like the selection of the three stars? Me I don't know about the second. :laugh:

THREE STARS OF THE GAME

Marc Methot
1ST MARC METHOT
G: 0 Shots: 0
A: 3 Hits: 1
PTS: 3 PIM: 2
+/-: 1 TOI: 21:08

2ND ROBIN LEHNER
SA: 37 TOI: 59:57
GA: 2 EV: 24-26
PIM: 0 PP: 11-11
SV%: .946 SH: 0-0

3RD MARK STONE
G: 1 Shots: 3
A: 1 Hits: 1
PTS: 2 PIM: 0
+/-: 2 TOI: 17:13

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
How did any of you like the selection of the three stars? Me I don't know about the second. :laugh:

THREE STARS OF THE GAME

Marc Methot
1ST MARC METHOT
G: 0 Shots: 0
A: 3 Hits: 1
PTS: 3 PIM: 2
+/-: 1 TOI: 21:08

2ND ROBIN LEHNER
SA: 37 TOI: 59:57
GA: 2 EV: 24-26
PIM: 0 PP: 11-11
SV%: .946
SH: 0-0

3RD MARK STONE
G: 1 Shots: 3
A: 1 Hits: 1
PTS: 2 PIM: 0
+/-: 2 TOI: 17:13

Really?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Whether he is being rushed is debatable. I don't think so, he's having an amazing development year. Doesn't need to be putting up big numbers, they will come

I tend to agree with this. Lazar seems like the type of guy mentally who can handle the jump from junior to NHL at 18. The points aren't coming, but I don't believe he's in over his head by any means. The pro game is the best place for him to develop imo.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The only thing Lazar is learning at this point is how to stay in the lineup.

Should of sent him back back in November. Where he can learn to be a better player.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa

Should of sent him back back in November. Where he can learn to be a better player.

agreed. Lazar is mad useless. He is lucky we play Buffalo 2 times this month because he might just get his 2nd goal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I don't believe he can be sent to the ECHL, I believe the same rules apply as in the AHL if I remember correctly. Lazar is going to be a good pro some day but considering the number of contracts Ottawa had there was no reason for him to play in Ottawa this yr. It's not like he is setting the game on fire here. So many over the last few weeks have argued that Ottawa rushed Lehner & he should have stayed in Bingo for a few more seasons yet I don't see them arguing the same for Lazar. They could send him back before the 40th game mark but I doubt they will at this point. I do however expect he will start the yr in Bingo next season.

Legwand had a very nice game. Won some important face offs and of course set up a couple of timely goals. He may not be want we were hoping for but he has a role to play for this team.

Now if Legwand's going to play with Michalek and Stone we need to do something about our 4th line. Condra - Pageau - Neil was a mess. Maybe it works better if Chiasson daws back in for Neil, but I'm also not so sure about Lazar on the Turris line.
Legwand now has 21 pts not to shabby for mostly a 4th line player & while most will say he gets a lot of PP pts they haven't scored a lot of PP pts lately.

Just another reason the Sens need to sign Methot. Thats entertaining **** right there.

I'll be pissed if they don't bring him back.

They need to sign Methot more so because of Karlsson who has been playing so much better since Methot got back & paired with him again. Karlsson is a completely different & better & safer player when paired with Methot & the team is better because of it. Get er done BM.

I've been saying this since the start of the season he should have been sent back to junior. While he is learning the pro game the Sens will have burnt a yr off his status & is that worth it on a non-playoff team with so many one way contracts. Didn't make sense at the beginning of the yr & it still doesn't make sense. It would not have hurt him in the least to have played in junior & dominated & worked on his offensive game. That said though, I still think he will be a pretty good pro when he starts learning how to score consistently in the NHL.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

He is learning to be a better player in the NHL. He already knows how to be an awesome junior player. Heck we sent him back to play with McDavid in the WJC. This game he was on a line with Turris abd Hoffman. I really don't think he is going to "learn to be a better player" in the WHL when he is clearly NHL caliber and in a man's body not a boys. I do not think keeping him in the NHL was a poor developmental idea whatsoever. Different players need different things. He is NHL ready in size and strength and defensive skills and attitude and professionalism. Better to learn offence in the NHL vs NHLers with guys like Turris, Stone and Hoffman and Karlsson on the ice with him then using his clear man strength advantage doing what he wants at will in the WHL. Heck he could get bad habits in the WHL because he is so physically mature and could score a lot in ways ways no one can in the NHL. Lazar is such a great personality that not scoring that much in the NHL for a year or two won't ruin him. He isn't a fragile pysche. All my opinion.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Is the afternoon curse finally gone?

It seems like we have won most of our afternoon games this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad