Post-Game Talk: Coyotes @ Sens Jan. 31

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
agreed. Lazar is mad useless. He is lucky we play Buffalo 2 times this month because he might just get his 2nd goal.

I see a huge differnece between lazar now and lazar for the first 10 games of the season. I think management is just so excited that they have this great defensive forward prospect and they're pushing that. The first ten games he was hitting , rushing the puck. Now it just like dump get into position.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Well, if yesterday afternoon's resounding victory wasn't enough fun, the Yotes salvaged their East Canada road-trip by handing both our regional rivals one regular loss each.

images

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He is learning to be a better player in the NHL. He already knows how to be an awesome junior player. Heck we sent him back to play with McDavid in the WJC. This game he was on a line with Turris abd Hoffman. I really don't think he is going to "learn to be a better player" in the WHL when he is clearly NHL caliber and in a man's body not a boys. I do not think keeping him in the NHL was a poor developmental idea whatsoever. Different players need different things. He is NHL ready in size and strength and defensive skills and attitude and professionalism. Better to learn offence in the NHL vs NHLers with guys like Turris, Stone and Hoffman and Karlsson on the ice with him then using his clear man strength advantage doing what he wants at will in the WHL. Heck he could get bad habits in the WHL because he is so physically mature and could score a lot in ways ways no one can in the NHL. Lazar is such a great personality that not scoring that much in the NHL for a year or two won't ruin him. He isn't a fragile pysche. All my opinion.

Its not his scoring that worries me.

I don't think 4th line minutes is ideal for development. Nor is the way's forced to play(a pure grinder) so he can stay in the lineup. This is where good habits don't develop.

Lazar doesn't play much with Turris or Karlsson. He's with Condra, Neil, Greening, Michalek mostly.

The only skills he gets to work on in NHL games are skills that are already his strengths. He needed to be the WHL so he could work on his weaknesses. Like playmaking, puck skills, shooting. The skills that will make the difference between him being a Callahan/Parise or some 30 point grinder.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

I don't think 4th line minutes is ideal for development. Nor is the way's forced to play(a pure grinder) so he can stay in the lineup. This is where good habits don't develop.

Lazar doesn't play much with Turris or Karlsson. He's with Condra, Neil, Greening, Michalek mostly.

The only skills he gets to work on in NHL games are skills that are already his strengths. He needed to be the WHL so he could work on his weaknesses. Like playmaking, puck skills, shooting. The skills that will make the difference between him being a Callahan/Parise or some 30 point grinder.

And that's what happens when Murray rushes up players like Lazar & Lehner, that not needed rushing! :shakehead

Thankfully, we will see new blood as GM in a few months

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Something to keep in mind is that practicing with NHL players and NHL talent makes a big difference. It's not just about the games.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

He played with Turris and Hoffman on Saturday. He played tons with Stone and Hoffman. He had played with Neil and Condra.

How is he better off playing with juniors? Even 4th line duties is more useful then 20 minutes ripping inferior boys when he is an adult player in size, strength, speed etc. I don't think all juniors would benefit from
The NHL like he is. Because physically he is ready, and he has the character to be coachable and upbeat... He is not going to suffer from not being a great scorer to start his career.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time...14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#

heres all ottawa's forwards most common linemates. lazar's most common linemate is hoffman. interesting that lazar has actually played more then condra 5v5

So he spends most of his time on the ice with our leading goal scorer and second most with our best player. Interesting. I thought he was getting far more "grinder" minutes.

The one thing I notice with Lazar is how easily he is rubbed out. I dont think he is physically ready for the NHL, and I think that is a big part of why he isnt producing. He is the perfect candidate for the AHL. Such a stupid rule.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
So he spends most of his time on the ice with our leading goal scorer and second most with our best player. Interesting. I thought he was getting far more "grinder" minutes.

The one thing I notice with Lazar is how easily he is rubbed out. I dont think he is physically ready for the NHL, and I think that is a big part of why he isnt producing. He is the perfect candidate for the AHL. Such a stupid rule.

It is a stupid rule. He's too good for the WHL but not ready for the NHL. He should be playing top minutes in the AHL which would be great for his development right now.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If anyone thinks Lazar would be tearing up offensively in Bingo or even in WHL, they are bound for disappointment.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If anyone thinks Lazar would be tearing up offensively in Bingo or even in WHL, they are bound for disappointment.

I tend to agree. He does not possess elite skating, shooting, puck-handling, or speed. He needs practice time to develop those skills and game time against lesser opponents (e.g., Junior or AHL) to fully develop those skills. As it is, he looks like a smart hustling third or fourth line player at this time. He has potential to improve but I doubt he will ever be a high scorer in the NHL.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

2013-2014 Oil Kings GP 58, G 41, A 35, Pts 76, +30.

2013-2014 Playoffs: GP 21, G 10, A 12, Pts 22, +12.

Err, you might want to rethink that statement of yours.

I'm not arguing which path would have been better for his development, but there's no way he wouldn't tear a hole in the WHL this year.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

You realize Lazar is probably one of the best WHL goal scorers. He'd easily tear up the WHL. His production in the world juniors shows he still has the ability to score against boys

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Suddenly Methot has a ton of leverage, and you can bet his agent will use it. He'll basically get what he was looking for, a 5x5 kind of deal. Really, what option do the Sens have? That's the going rate for a top pairing veteran defenceman. He either gets it from us, or from someone else. They simply can't afford to let him walk for nothing, or trade him for a handful of magic beans at the deadline. That would be a huge step backwards...

I think that's wishful thinking right now. Methot and his new agent aren't dumb, they know what they mean to the team and Karlsson. 5.5 X 6 minimum IMO, but I hope I'm wrong.

Just want to clean this last piece up and move on to trading Philly, Legwand etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, He still spends a significant amount of time with Condra, Michalek, Smith Neil, and Chiasson.

Almost all of his time with Hoffman was from when they were part of the Hoffman, Lazar, Stone line, which people were saying was our best line at the time.

As for playing a lot with Karlsson, Legwand and Pageau are the only forwards on the team whose most frequent Dman isn't Karlsson.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I tend to agree. He does not possess elite skating, shooting, puck-handling, or speed. He needs practice time to develop those skills and game time against lesser opponents (e.g., Junior or AHL) to fully develop those skills. As it is, he looks like a smart hustling third or fourth line player at this time. He has potential to improve but I doubt he will ever be a high scorer in the NHL.

Lazar is considered a powerful skater and with an above average wrist shot and release for an NHL player.He also has fairly good hands. The only knock on him is his willingness to be creative and not always go for safe plays.

For skating i could realistically see him being the 3rd best skater on the team after hoff and karl

Read these scouting reports. All mention is great skating and great shot.

Strengths:

Very good instincts and ability to read a game’s ebbs and flows
Excellent shot
Good skater with strong acceleration
Effective passer

Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

Sometimes errs on the side of caution when seams open in opposition defenses; could easily jump into the rush a bit more and take more chances

Needs to add some size to his frame to battle NHL defenders
In relation to the last point, he’ll need to maintain his speed at the same time

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...zar-lead-scouts-top-10-drafted-132446821.html

What were seeing in the NHL of lazar isnt a great indicator of what hes going to be and even then we see that release and heavy shot coupled with powerful skating ability in flashes.

I think its interesting that people estimate his TOI was ten minutes less then guys like monahan per game in his draft year. Lazar is a stud. He will be a great player and if someone thinks his realistic potential is to be a 15-20 goal guy they better give their head a shake.

Last edited:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
PPG in junior is hardly tearing it up.
40-50 points over full season in AHL is what you can expect right now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think he would pass 50.
55 points in a rookie pro year is nothing to laugh at. And that's 55 points while probably being better at defence than any defender bingo has.

This is of course my prediction of his AHL stats.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

lazar is a goal scorer and didnt average huge minutes like many players draftedd ahead of him because of the oil kings depth. last year he was the second best goal scorer in the whl. 50 points is terrific in the AHL btw. Guys rarely score over 40 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad