Recalled/Assigned: Coyotes recall Dylan Guenther from Tucson

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bedard is an elite scorer in the NHL right now, Cooley is not. Bedard is ok on D, better than Cooley. because he is elite and the Hawks are a horrible team, he gets more of a pass on D. Cooley isn't an elite scorer right now and we have a team fighting for the playoffs, he doesn't get a pass for his poor D play.

Guenther like Cooley is potentially a 60+ point forward, but he also needs to play better on D and in all 3 zones to be an NHL regular. Saying he is up for a few games as a replacement takes the pressure off of him. If he plays well without the puck and gets a few points, he might stick.

Mistakes on D and turnovers is contributing to losses, Bear can't allow playing through that because a guy has "potential" if we want to win games. I am excited to see Guenther, and hope he plays well (without the puck).
I have not seen Bedard play in the NHL so take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea if Bedard's D is good or bad but he is a -22 on a shitty team. What stands out to me is that he is getting most his points 5v5 and not hiding behind his PP points.

Reactions: Llewzaher

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I have not seen Bedard play in the NHL so take this with a grain of salt. I have no idea if Bedard's D is good or bad but he is a -22 on a shitty team. What stands out to me is that he is getting most his points 5v5 and not hiding behind his PP points.
Bedard is phenomenal man. Watching him play, you understand why the league wasn't going to let him go to Anaheim, Columbus or Arizona. He needed to go to one of their big market teams.

Reactions: Nowotny

cobra427

May 6, 2012
+/- is a team stat, Bedard plays on the top line and gets the toughest assignments. He is ok on D, better than Cooley, I have watched some Hawks games and going to a few this month. Agreed, 5 on 5, this kid is the next McDavid it looks like. It takes time for skill players to have more complete games, or they get exposed in the NHL, they don't as much in juniors.

I think playing on the 4th line has taken some pressure off of Cooley, he gets easier assignments on D but can still be on our PP. As his D play improves, Bear will trust him more and move him up in the line up 5 on 5, I think that happens this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
+/- is a team stat, Bedard plays on the top line and gets the toughest assignments. He is ok on D, better than Cooley, I have watched some Hawks games and going to a few this month. Agreed, 5 on 5, this kid is the next McDavid it looks like. It takes time for skill players to have more complete games, or they get exposed in the NHL, they don't as much in juniors.

I think playing on the 4th line has taken some pressure off of Cooley, he gets easier assignments on D but can still be on our PP. As his D play improves, Bear will trust him more and move him up in the line up 5 on 5, I think that happens this year.
Most of Bedard's points are 5v5, not the PP, which is very impressive. Keller, Schmaltz and Cooley can't say the same thing.

Reactions: cobra427

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Most of Bedard's points are 5v5, not the PP, which is very impressive. Keller, Schmaltz and Cooley can't say the same thing.
Keller has under performed this year, no doubt. It made me laugh earlier this year when the broadcast crew kept comparing his points pace to last season in games played. They didn’t take into account that last year he was still recovering from a broken femur early on, and he went on a historic, unsustainable, scoring binge after the all star game. Are we just going to assume he does the same after the all star game this season again?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Keller has under performed this year, no doubt. It made me laugh earlier this year when the broadcast crew kept comparing his points pace to last season in games played. They didn’t take into account that last year he was still recovering from a broken femur early on, and he went on a historic, unsustainable, scoring binge after the all star game. Are we just going to assume he does the same after the all star game this season again?
The coyotes go on a historic point/production run when they're firmly out of the playoff race is the most coyotes thing ever. Count on it.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The coyotes go on a historic point/production run when they're firmly out of the playoff race is the most coyotes thing ever. Count on it.
And I would welcome that. Any sign we're ever going in the right direction is a good thing at this point. Going from 8th to 12th in the draft order in April is not something I would ever give a s*** about.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I can’t tell if people in here are being serious or not. You guys realize Keller was in the top 5 (or something like that) in scoring of all players in the league last year after the all star break right? Right there with Nathan MacKinnon. That’s not something I’m “counting on”.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I can’t tell if people in here are being serious or not. You guys realize Keller was in the top 5 (or something like that) in scoring of all players in the league last year after the all star break right? Right there with Nathan MacKinnon. That’s not something I’m “counting on”.
Yeah, I don't see Keller as a consistent 80pt player. I think he's a 70pt player who will have good years in the 80s.

Also, last season Keller was getting 2min more TOI per game. We've become more than just a 1-line team, which is better for the team and Keller's production will improve when Hayton returns.

Reactions: cobra427 and lanky

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Yeah, I don't see Keller as a consistent 80pt player. I think he's a 70pt player who will have good years in the 80s.

Also, last season Keller was getting 2min more TOI per game. We've become more than just a 1-line team, which is better for the team and Keller's production will improve when Hayton returns.
IMO, Keller can be a consistent p/g player with the right center. I don't think it's Hayton though. I think with Lindholm he could be. I know he may not be the ideal acquisition at this time (even if I am a fan), but we could use a center that would look good between Schmaltz and Keller that's not Cooley. I think the convicted gambler could be that guy, but don't see that as a realistic trade either. Been hoping that BA would surprise us all and find one that no one suspected.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
IMO, Keller can be a consistent p/g player with the right center. I don't think it's Hayton though. I think with Lindholm he could be. I know he may not be the ideal acquisition at this time (even if I am a fan), but we could use a center that would look good between Schmaltz and Keller that's not Cooley. I think the convicted gambler could be that guy, but don't see that as a realistic trade either. Been hoping that BA would surprise us all and find one that no one suspected.
IF we had decent C talent, Hayton wouldn't even be considered for 1C. The only reason Hayton is there is because of our lack of talent for 1C. With a 1C Keller would, or should have more freedom. I also would like Bear to take Schmaltz off the line. May as well keep on shuffling lines while we are in a slump. Would love to find a 1C, but they are just no available, unless you over pay. Love Lindholm but not his age, for a rebuilding team.

Reactions: Schemp

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I want him back in Tucson but there's no rush. Whether its 2 games from now or 22, I'd like to see him back there to finish out the season.
Think maccelli’s first year. Spent 23 games up, then finished in Tucson. Although he only had 6 points in those 23 games, so it’ll probably hurt far more to sent Guenther down when they do, but he’ll play in the playoffs for Tucson for sure

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He’s playing very well. Developing chemistry with Cooley.
I agree, but I thought he was invisible in the Calgary game, which really is not unexpected for a rookie trying to find his way, but he has to get back playing like he did the first two games after his call up. Cooley has seemed to pick it up playing with Guenther as well. Guenther is not scared to go to the dirty areas. He has so much balance, hardly ever is on his ass, not like someone else who's name we won't mentioned.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree, but I thought he was invisible in the Calgary game, which really is not unexpected for a rookie trying to find his way, but he has to get back playing like he did the first two games after his call up. Cooley has seemed to pick it up playing with Guenther as well. Guenther is not scared to go to the dirty areas. He has so much balance, hardly ever is on his ass, not like someone else who's name we won't mentioned.
Guenther’s overall assertiveness has improved so much. He’s just so much more noticeable in all areas, in a good way. No longer trying to be just that opportunistic sniper, quietly waiting in the cut, and trying to blend into the background. Now, he’s really getting involved. Getting his stick in lanes, and stripping pucks, and going into tough areas and battling. Love to see it. He looks like the Edmonton Guenther again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Guenther’s overall assertiveness has improved so much. He’s just so much more noticeable in all areas, in a good way. No longer trying to be just that opportunistic sniper, quietly waiting in the cut, and trying to blend into the background. Now, he’s really getting involved. Getting his stick in lanes, and stripping pucks, and going into tough areas and battling. Love to see it. He looks like the Edmonton Guenther again.
I agree, he looks much better than last year, but all I'm saying he was invisible last game. Consistency is hard to achieve in the NHL, especially young players. He has to assertive himself all the time like he did the first two games. It takes time. I think Cooley has really upped his game since being paired with Guenther. Watch Guenther go to those tough areas. He battles hard and never is on his ass and never backs down. It's nice to see these two top ten picks get better and better.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree, he looks much better than last year, but all I'm saying he was invisible last game. Consistency is hard to achieve in the NHL, especially young players. He has to assertive himself all the time like he did the first two games. It takes time. I think Cooley has really upped his game since being paired with Guenther. Watch Guenther go to those tough areas. He battles hard and never is on his ass and never backs down. It's nice to see these two top ten picks get better and better.
As puck carriers or in the offensive zone........What about the rest of the time? That is where they both need to improve in a big way to stick(Guenther) and get more minutes(Cooley).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As puck carriers or in the offensive zone........What about the rest of the time? That is where they both need to improve in a big way to stick(Guenther) and get more minutes(Cooley).
Cooley and Guenther are averaging 16 and 15 TOI/GM. That is pretty damn good for rookies, and both on the same line. Playing third line they may not get more minutes than that, even if they improve their play and I believe they will. I don't see any of the two playing on the first two line permanently any time soon. Guenther could go back to Tucson if his play falters.

Reactions: moosemeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad