Recalled/Assigned: Coyotes recall Dylan Guenther from Tucson

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Softens taking Maccelli away from Crouse, putting playmaking Cooley there. Me likes.

His game isn’t very well rounded and still needs work.
Same with Cooley

They are slowly turning Cooley into a third line checker. Which is why the other rookies have surpassed him in points. He was just under a PPG earlier in the year

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
They are slowly turning Cooley into a third line checker. Which is why the other rookies have surpassed him in points. He was just under a PPG earlier in the year
Bill addressed this approach. It's better to instill defensive responsibility at the start of a young player's career. If the coach lets him play shinny in the NHL then it's setting the player up for failure when he later gets a real coach.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Bill addressed this approach. It's better to instill defensive responsibility at the start of a young player's career. If the coach lets him play shinny in the NHL then it's setting the player up for failure when he later gets a real coach.
Bedard seems to be doing fine.. his defensive game is not great

I don’t recall many successful top offensive players having to “forget “ their game and learn defence

Most are allowed to play their game and learn defence as they go.

We are still only half way through the rebuild, Cooley should be able to play his game and be coached as he matures.

All of course just my opinion and there’s a good reason I am not the coach but just frustrated watching other teams always have top offensive players racking up the points and when we get one we turn him into a third line checker

If that was the plan just trade down and grab more players. If Cooley played in junior like he is being told to play now , he wouldn’t have been picked so high

Again just my opinion

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Softens taking Maccelli away from Crouse, putting playmaking Cooley there. Me likes.

His game isn’t very well rounded and still needs work.
Of course he game needs work, but Carcone has done more than most of us thought he would do. Many thought he wouldn't even make the team. His shooting % is high, but right now he has more points than Cooley, 17 of his 19 pts. are 5v5 and is a +5. For me, he has been the most pleasant and unexpected surprise of the year. BA warned us that Carcone could have a break out year. I thought he was crazy.

He’s got a legit shot. Let’s hope he take advantage.
Not sure if you noticed but Guenther has almost double assists than goals. Turning in to a better all around player, instead of only using his shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai Yo T

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tell that to McDavid and other superstars. All players are different, same as organizations, but let's not forget Bedard is on another level than Cooley.

Reactions: Llewzaher

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
They won't send him back down if he shows enough. I don't buy that this is only a quick fix for Zucker.
I buy that that is “the plan” as of now, makes sense. But the plan can change if Guenther impresses and shows he can be a better version of Zucker. Excited to see what he can do

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My question is at what point do they make the determination that Guenther is "fully baked"? The end of one full season in Tucson? Seems a bit arbitrary.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Of course he game needs work, but Carcone has done more than most of us thought he would do. Many thought he wouldn't even make the team. His shooting % is high, but right now he has more points than Cooley, 17 of his 19 pts. are 5v5 and is a +5. For me, he has been the most pleasant and unexpected surprise of the year. BA warned us that Carcone could have a break out year. I thought he was crazy.

Not sure if you noticed but Guenther has almost double assists than goals. Turning in to a better all around player, instead of only using his shot.
Hi shot is his bread and butter.. thinking he is another player being told to change his game

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I meant “opportunity” when I said “shot”. I’m the guy who’s been ranting and raving for over a year about him being a miscast dual threat, wrongly pigeon holed as an opportunist sniper.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
My question is at what point do they make the determination that Guenther is "fully baked"? The end of one full season in Tucson? Seems a bit arbitrary.
From that interview with AT it’s sounding like mostly strength. He probably just needs to put on some mass and be able to be effective retrieving pucks, forechecking and winning board battles…seems like all the other parts of his game are where they need to be.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Schemp

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Not change his game…. Augment it.
Well in junior I think he finished second behind Bedard in shots .. I don’t think he is even getting close to that in the AHL

OVs bread and butter was his shot

Same with Cooley, he is taking way less shots than he was in college.

Player Development should be training these guys to take what they are good at and make them better. Not change them into something they are not

Reactions: Nowotny

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Well in junior I think he finished second behind Bedard in shots .. I don’t think he is even getting close to that in the AHL

Player Development should be training these guys to take what they are good at and make them better. Not change them into something they are not
It’s great Guenther is getting assists, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of his scoring and shots. It should be in addition to.

Same with Cooley.. his defence that he is learning should not be at the expense of this offence and creativity ( what we drafted him for) you can tell he is completely unsure of himself now..

Just my opinion.. good thing I am not the coach or responsible for them

Reactions: Mangosteen

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

OV could also throw his weight around and knock people off pucks.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Bedard is an elite scorer in the NHL right now, Cooley is not. Bedard is ok on D, better than Cooley. because he is elite and the Hawks are a horrible team, he gets more of a pass on D. Cooley isn't an elite scorer right now and we have a team fighting for the playoffs, he doesn't get a pass for his poor D play.

Guenther like Cooley is potentially a 60+ point forward, but he also needs to play better on D and in all 3 zones to be an NHL regular. Saying he is up for a few games as a replacement takes the pressure off of him. If he plays well without the puck and gets a few points, he might stick.

Mistakes on D and turnovers is contributing to losses, Bear can't allow playing through that because a guy has "potential" if we want to win games. I am excited to see Guenther, and hope he plays well (without the puck).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His play will dictate where he plays. Guenther had a terrible training camp. Let's see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad