GDT: Coyotes Prospect Camp Scrimmage @ GRA, 6pm (Facebook Live)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Oh man. 04:46. But wanted to stay up for this. Finally, some hockey.

Now, just waiting for september ;-)

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
He was pretty pedestrian overall, didn't seem overly interested in hustling or setting the tone for red.

Some good dangling. I wonder if the Klima-brothers got too much ice-time. Just to make myself look even weirder;-)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
At this rate? Joseph.
:laugh:Some of these kids just flew in on Sunday from the draft, some probably haven't skated much after the season and now after a few days of drills and a mickey mouse practice you can declare who is going to make the NHL first. IF this was the end of training camp I could see making predictions, but not this early. Hell, if you took this so called game as a guide, none will make the NHL, and they are playing against their peers not NHL players. I'm happy that a few of you guys made it to this development camp and helped keep the interest up until training camp.:thumbu:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So apparently the people in front of us at the scrimmage were PO Joseph's parents. I thought maybe they were, but my wife sleuthed the hell out of them. They had their Wi-Fi hot spot on, and the title was a few French words followed by Joseph. They were apparently speaking French too. Fortunately we were very complimentary about him. He looked f***ed legit, it wasn't hard to be.

Side not, there's no he's 6'2" now right? He looked the same height as Provestov and not much shorter than Bahl.

I thought Hayton looked really good, I'm kind of surprised to see complaints about him.

facebook.com/ArizonaCoyotes/videos/10156107103050783/

Link to the archive for anyone that missed it
The ridiculous PO skating is at 7:45 left in the video. Insane make up speed.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How does this work really, with undrafted kids? I mean, if, say, Samuel Fagemo suddenly looks like the real deal. I suspect that means he will end up being someone to fight over as an overager next year, and anybody can pick him?

Anyone undrafted that played in NA can sign before the junior/NHL season starts. By drafting a player, you gain exclusive rights to sign them for a certain period of time depending on where they were drafted from.

The rules for true euros like Fagemo are different. I believe he is eligible to sign the calendar year he turns 20 if he's not drafted. Halifax has his CHL rights, so if he plays there next year and somehow goes undrafted again, I believe you could sign him then as it fulfills the NA requirement. @mouser could tell you definitively.

Yup, anyone who played in NA the previous season can sign during camps now, even if they would still be eligible for the next draft.**

Players who played in Europe the previous season have to be age 22 (by Sep 15th) to sign during camp.

**Note: I don’t think it matters whether the player was playing in NA under loan from a European club, but could be wrong on that.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Thoughts from tonight's game:

1. The number of attendees was awesome. I'm guessing 900-1100 fans were there.
2. 15 min periods were odd. I hoped it meant there was going to be a complete 5 minute period of 3x3, regardless of score and a shoot out.
3. Kirk seemed way more skilled than the draft thread about him led me to (or had me) believe. He is thin, but he is still a kid. It's hard to tell when they are in gear. That said, Kruger is a slight man, so is Richardson. He should fill out soon.
4. Bahl dominated physically and looked good out there.
5. I liked what I saw out of the Klima's; particularity Kevin. I couldn't tell if he got stuck on the ice in OT or stayed. Either way it was too long and could have contributed to the GWG. I was watching people more than the play at the time.
6. Donofrio looked the best of the 5 goalies who played...just my opinion. He had several good saves.
7. Smerek looked good, though i maybe biased toward him. He looked heavier than than previous years also. Isn't this his 3rd camp?
8. Entwistle was noticeable.
9. Walli Walterholm was noticeable as well.
10. POJ didn't dazzle. I often had to look for him. I can't say he disappointed either.

It's tough watching away from the play, which I spent a lot of time doing. It's certainly a trade off; what you see versus what you miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIG

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s practice, man. Practice. ....
Exactly. In the good old days,:) they didn't even have this development camp just training camp. They were intense, full of fights, hits etc. But with the PA being such a force, everything is toned way down. I'm sure the players are told that we don't want anyone injured at this point of the year so just have a bit of fun. Pond hockey.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And I think it's pretty interesting how different they are run.
They changed the way the development camp was run a few years back. They did all these stupid drills and hardly any scrimmage. That is when I decided not to attend these development camps. These are for the players to meet the organization, talk to nutritionists, coaches etc. to get ready for training camp. DT, yes THE DT mentioned as much, saying that most teams are changing the way they handle this types of camps.

The goal is to practice as close to game speed as possible, because there's no point otherwise.
Yeah, among their peers. This game was is slow motion. That will change the first day at training camp when you have experienced NHL players chasing these kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad