Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Name Rick Tocchet as Head Coach

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Did you meet Mike Gartner? One of my all time favorite hockey players :)

I did yeah, great guy. My dad was an assistant coach on that youth team and took a puck in the face in warmups one day and Gartner came over and looked at him and was like, "yeeeeah that's probably six or seven stitches there bud." Turned out to be 6. Hockey players know their flesh wounds :laugh:

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Did you meet Mike Gartner? One of my all time favorite hockey players :)

It all ended up working out in my favor and coming around full circle though - this was the inaugural year for the team in 1996 and I had totally forgotten that my dad got a jersery and gave it to Gartner and he had the entire team sign it for him. I completely forgot about it and then my dad gave it to me last year for my 30th birthday - really cool. Not to be boastful or anything - I only share because a lot of you guys and gals on here are probably some of the only people that can appreciate how cool that is!

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
:laugh: Damn.... I read the tweet and my mind went directly to Paul MacLean and was excited. Then puzzled by the NJ comments etc.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
His son? I honestly can't remember his first name. Last I heard of him though he was playing semi pro hockey in Scotland...

No, I thought you were Ryan before I realized it was John MacLean and not Paul. :laugh:

A good friend of mines son skated for Paul some years back - part of my confusion, as I was certain he was in Detroit at the time.

edit: Reading back, I see I had this whole thing FUBAR - I need a do over - smh

Last edited:

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
It all ended up working out in my favor and coming around full circle though - this was the inaugural year for the team in 1996 and I had totally forgotten that my dad got a jersery and gave it to Gartner and he had the entire team sign it for him. I completely forgot about it and then my dad gave it to me last year for my 30th birthday - really cool. Not to be boastful or anything - I only share because a lot of you guys and gals on here are probably some of the only people that can appreciate how cool that is!

That's amazing!! Sounds like you have a pretty great father too. I had a signed Yotes Gartner Jersey but my kids played street hockey in it and left it in a parking lot :shakehead

It's all about the memories. lol

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I have no complaints and I'm very excited to see what will transpire overtime. Let's enjoy the exciting hockey we will see this season no matter where we finish.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have no complaints and I'm very excited to see what will transpire overtime. Let's enjoy the exciting hockey we will see this season no matter where we finish.

I'm excited for this season too. We have a legitimate top pairing D for the first time in 4 years and we have the best center we have had since JR, that should help us a lot. We have a lot of youth, some will succeed while others will fail, but will be fun to watch.

All whipping boys are gone now (Mostly tip last year and all summer). Who is the new whipping boy going to be this year?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
McGinn is a good candidate for whipping boy if he gives a poor ROI on that 3.33 again.

I forgot about Mcginn. You are correct, he will be the new whipping boy, unless he gets 20+ goals and has a hot start:)

Feb 12, 2003
I think it is easy that guys like Gogs and McGinn have bounce back seasons. We have seen it a number of times in the past that a free agent takes a solid year to find their spot on the team and settle in. Maybe it will take even longer to do so given all of the upheaval, but these are veteran guys and I do not expect two subpar seasons like that unless they are on their way out of the league.

I would say there is likely a higher chance of some sophmore slumps than veteran relapses.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I expect Goligoski to be better this year than he was last year, though I thought he was mostly fine in the second half. That said, this'll be his third coach in three years, so if acclimation was an issue last year, maybe he won't take such a leap as he gets used to Allen's system.

I have less hope for McGinn. He's just never been that good of a player, and I don't understand why they locked him up for three years at that rate in the first place. Last year was the lowest shooting percentage he's had in a season since he became a full-time NHLer, and he'll only be 29 when the season starts, so his career is hardly over. If you're expecting more than maybe 25 points, though, I think you'll be disappointed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
For all the fuss over Goose, he finished 1 point shy of his final season in Dallas (36 to 37).

I think over the second half of the season he was playing at a 48-point pace.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Even when he was "bad", I didn't think he was bad. He just looked off. I'm not really worried.

Not super worried about McGinn. He was heavily overpaid from the moment we inked him. We knew that at the time. Can't change it, and I doubt we could move him. He quickly became a passenger just like most of the other veterans last year, and he still managed 9 goals (more than Doan despite Doan's inflated icetime). He's good for 10-15 goals, and doesn't need linemates and ice time to do it. Hopefully a staff that doesn't coach the aggression out of players keeps him engaged.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I didn't mind Goligoski's "weakened" game and figured it would take at least half a season to adjust. After all, he was in Dallas just over 5 seasons, so to expect the same production out of a D-man is raising expectations a bit.

In terms of McGinn, he never has been too consistent in his career. He was inked because it looked like he was improving quite a bit 2015-2016 was his best season and he played with two teams). Also, if we look at Buffalo and Anaheim, they both tend to be more offensive-minded teams, so coming here, he was probably at a disadvantage (and overpaid). Admittedly, the bulk of it probably falls on him, but we were switching linemates quite a bit last season.

All I can hope for is that some new strategies may improve production from some of those who struggled; of course, those changes may reduce production for others as well. It will definitely be an interesting season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
For all the fuss over Goose, he finished 1 point shy of his final season in Dallas (36 to 37).

I think over the second half of the season he was playing at a 48-point pace.

Goose was fine. He suffered from the same problem OEL had all year, a 3RHD partner. Goose and OEL had to make up for their partners non-stop, couldn't really play their game. OEL's problem got solved with Chalmers, still waiting for Goose to get a decent partner. RHD's we have now are 3RHD's at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad